276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Sacla' Italian Calabrian 'Nduja Pesto, 90 g, (Pack of 1)

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Whenever I make gnocchi, I tend to gravitate towards tomato-based sauces with a hint of spice. ‘Nduja, which is very similar to Chorizo, is one of my go-to spicy sausages as it adds a wonderfully deep and rich flavour to anything it’s added to.

Both the ‘Nduja and pesto have quite intense flavours, so I love adding a dash of crème fraîche to help balance everything out (namely the spice from the ‘Nduja). It also enhances the creaminess of the potato itself. Now it seems Calabria’s fiery pork paste is popping up everywhere. We were even able to get our hands on some fantastic ’nduja here in Cambodia recently. We thought that was as good an excuse as any to tell you all about the Calabrese sausage paste and start a series on our best ’nduja recipes. As we publish the recipes, we’ll add links below under ‘How to Use ’Nduja’.Moskin writes how “in 2009, nduja was the spicy underground taste that went mass market, making it the Lady Gaga of pork products. If nduja didn’t already exist, it might have been invented in a lab as the perfect food trend: it combines nose-to-tail eating, pork, smoke and chili heat.” She noted that it had been called “flaming liquid salami”, “spicy pork butter” and “the spreadable Italian love child of pepperoni and French rillettes”. Ten years ago we couldn’t even pronounce the word ’nduja (“Undo ya,” more or less),” Lethlean writes. Speak for yourself, John. “Now this Calabrian “salami” is in the larder of every self-respecting chef and home cook in the nation. How did that happen?” And how did it happen? This isn’t the first time that ’nduja has trended outside Italy. Baked sweet potatoes have to be one of the easiest foods to prepare and they're cheap and filling too. Plus we certainly don't want a boring filling. We want something to liven up our evening, and tastebuds. My notebook from our guidebook research trip has a note beside a list of Calabrian specialties that ’nduja had been pronounced ‘dooj-ah’ by the woman I chatted to at a stall selling ‘salumi Calabrese’ – cured meats, sausages (salsiccia) and salami such as soppressata di Calabria, all handmade locally – at a morning market in seaside Diamante. Why Is Everyone Talking About ’Nduja Again?

By 2015, ’nduja was getting used in restaurant kitchens all over the world, and not just Italian, but kitchens as diverse as that of British chef Jason Atherton in the UK and April Bloomfield at The Spotted Pig in the USA. British retailer Marks & Spencer, whose Calabrian-made Spicy Nduja and Tomato Pasta Sauce was “flying off the shelf”, called nduja the “ingredient of the moment”.

Nduja is so much more intense in flavour, which is why another theory suggests that ’nduja is related to sobrasada from Spain’s Catalan island of Mallorca. While sobrasada is certainly a closer cousin, it’s worth noting that Italy has soppressata Calabrese, from Calabria, and sobrasada is actually like a cross between ’nduja and soppressata. How Do You Pronounce ’Nduja This pasta with nduja recipe is probably the most well-known way to eat nduja. However, Calabrians also eat it as a dip or spread with bread, in frittata, on pizza or inside arancini! I love pizza with nduja! I've actually had it in the UK at a Pizza Express. They make a pizza Calabrese with it, as well as a calzone 'nduja! Dried fileja pasta from Calabria These pigs are usually at least 2 years old when slaughtered, so they are allowed to grow at a natural rate and the young stay with their mothers. Needless to say rearing pigs in this way results in not only happier pigs but high quality tasty meat. This is probably why so many of Calabria’s pork products, including Nduja, are so good! Step 6 Simmer the sauce for about 20 minutes. Not just on pasta!

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment