276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Anybody Out There?

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

After several career changes, Helen – and I’m not making this up, I wish I was – is a private investigator. Mind you, it sounds far more dangerous and exciting than it is. She mostly does white-collar crime and ‘domestics’ – where she has to get proof of men having affairs. I would find it terribly depressing but she says it doesn’t bother her because she’s always known that men are total scumbags. Angela Kilfeather is the most exotic creature that ever came out of our road. Well, that’s not really true – my family is far more dramatic what with broken marriages and suicide attempts and drug addiction and Helen, but Mum uses Angela Kilfeather as the gold standard: bad and all as her daughters are, at least they’re not lesbians who French-kiss their girlfriends beside suburban leylandii. (Helen once worked with an Indian man who mistranslated ‘gays’ as ‘Jolly Boys’. It caught on so much that nearly everyone I know – including all my gay friends – now refers to gay men as ‘Jolly Boys’. And always said in an Indian accent. The logical conclusion is that lesbians are ‘Jolly Girls’, also said in an Indian accent.) But when my bed was installed in the GFR there was nowhere for the other fixtures—tasseled couches, tasseled armchairs—to go. The room now looked like a discount furniture store, where millions of couches are squashed in together, so that you almost have to clamber over them like boulders along the seafront. Even Luke, Rachel’s boyfriend – well, fiancé now. Luke is so dark and sexy and testosteroney that I dread being alone with him. I mean, he’s a lovely person, really, really lovely, but just, you know . . . all man. I both fancy him and am repelled by him, if that makes any sense; and everyone But her family have other ideas. And mysteriously, Aiden seems unwilling to get in touch. Anna is puzzled. What could have happened to her marriage to the man that she would do anything for, that he won't call her?

Anybody Out There by Marian Keyes | Waterstones

After several career changes, Helen—and I’m not making this up, I wish I was—is a private investigator. Mind you, it sounds far more dangerous and exciting than it is; she mostly does white-collar crime and “domestics”—where she has to get proof of men having affairs. I would find it terribly depressing but she says it doesn’t bother her because she’s always known that men were total scumbags. Right, missy.” Mum consulted a sheet of paper, an hour-by-hour schedule of all my medication—antibiotics, anti-inflammatories, antidepressants, sleeping pills, high-impact vitamins, painkillers that induced a very pleasant floaty feeling, and a member of the Valium family, which she had ferried away to a secret location. She spends a lot of time sitting in wet hedges with a long-range lens, trying to get photographic evidence of the adulterers leaving their love nest. She could stay in her nice, warm, dry car but then she tends to fall asleep and miss her mark. Now, having told you how funny Marian Keyes books are, the Walsh Dynasty in particular, you should also know that not many books make me cry. I can count them on the fingers of one hand Charlotte's Web, The Green Mile, Pride and Prejudice and Anybody Out There? See? I didn't even use thumbs. Anybody Out There? made my throat ache with the upsweep of the tale, the seamless flow of prose and the joy of a satisfying and judicious ending.I’ll bring you up some ice cream in a minute, pet,” Mum said. “Tell me, I’m dying to know, did you get your mark?” Try The Other Side of the Story or rather than taking the plunge straight away, you may want to get a feel for Marian Keyes and read a collection of her newspaper articles, in Under The Duvet. Otherwise you may enjoy Notting Hell by Rachel Johnson or The Nanny.

Anybody Out There – Marian Keyes | thebookwormery Anybody Out There – Marian Keyes | thebookwormery

When I’d arrived in Ireland eight weeks earlier, I couldn’t climb the stairs, because of my dislocated kneecap, so my parents had moved a bed downstairs into the Good Front Room. Searingly insightful, Keyes finds lightness in the darkest and most violent of emotions' Independent Will make you laugh and make you cry, but will also reveal the truth of who you really are' Louise O'Neill Love the Walsh sisters? Don't miss out on the eagerly awaited sequel to Rachel's Holiday: AGAIN, RACHEL . . .But when my bed was installed in the GFR there was nowhere for the other fixtures – tasselled couches, tasselled armchairs – to go. The room now looked like one of those discount furniture stores where millions of couches are squashed in together, so that you almost have to clamber over them like boulders along the seafront.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment