276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Wizzy’s Words

£4.995£9.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Nearly 25% of children continue to miss age-appropriate targets, for oral vocabulary, by the end of their reception year (DfEd data). At the same time, the rhymes are designed to appeal to all children as part of oral vocabulary programs. The rhymes seem to lean more toward form than function--there were words and expressions that I don't think my pre-K kids would understand that seem mostly to support the tune/meter rather than storytelling. The variety of formats and the range of children’s school entry needs, means that Wizzy’s Words can be adapted from 1-1, to small group and whole class sharing/teaching in the pre-school and school setting.

An absolute treasure to share with small groups or 1:1 before long these rhymes will be the ones everyone is singing! Wizzy’s Words is a book of 70 illustrated, modern nursery rhymes incorporating the oral vocabulary that has been shown to signal future success if developed before school entry.Sharing these rhymes with pre-schoolers gives them the opportunity to develop the essential, school entry, oral vocabulary that underpins educational and life-long success. This may well be an excellent resource for kids with language processing issues/delays, but unless recommended by a pro, I would probably defer to whatever interests the child for recreational reading purposes. I would absolutely check in with the relevant professionals to see their thoughts on it and recommend it to caregivers with their approval, but I don't know if I'd bring it out for general classroom use at circle time or in small groups.

Although many of the rhymes follow traditional tunes, Wizzy's Words rhymes contain the oral vocabulary, associated with educational and life-long success in our times. While I am now a grandfather, and don't need the daily use of poems, we read to our grandkids all the time and they read to us.

This is a delightful resource that will engage young children in developing their vocabulary and the use of rhyme, rhythm and language structure. The book consists of 70 illustrated modern nursery rhymes that provide a launch pad for language work beyond the pre-reading phase, with a focus on supporting those children in danger of being ‘left behind’.

Jacqueline E Alexander is an early years teacher and school literacy leader with a masters in Psychology and Education (Child Development). The rhymes were developed to address the deleterious and life-long effects of children entering school with a poor oral vocabulary.

The resource was developed in response to the needs of children in danger of being ‘left behind’ but has been designed to appeal to all children and will provide a launch pad for language work beyond the pre-reading stage.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment