276°
Posted 20 hours ago

TP-Link Deco X50 AX3000 Whole Home AI-Driven Mesh Wi-Fi 6 System, Dual-Band with Gigabit Ports, Coverage up to 6,500 ft2, Connect up to 150 devices, 1 GHz Dual-Core CPU, HomeShield Security, Pack of 3

£144.995£289.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

The system claims a throughput of up to 574Mbits/sec on the 2.4GHz band and 2.4Gbits/sec on the 5GHz band. Premium meshes and routers often promise double that rate, although that doesn’t mean they’re literally twice as fast. A fat 160MHz channel width helps the Deco system overcome physical obstacles and interference from other networks. The Deco app also works as a smart-home hub, offering one-touch controls for TP-Link’s Kasa appliances, plus integrations with Philips Hue and Samsung SmartThings. I suspect most people already have this covered through the Alexa or Google Home apps but the simple automations could be useful, allowing you to set network events as triggers for IoT actions. TP-Link has one of the best apps going, and some of the best features. While many router manufacturers require you to pay for parental controls, such as with the Eero 6 Plus, TP-Link bundles generous free controls. The compact TP-Link Deco X50-PoE is much smaller than other members of the X50 family and, indeed, other Deco products that I have reviewed in the past. This is a device that’s built to blend in and keep out of the way.

HomeShield includes the Free Basic Plan. Fees apply for the Pro Plan. Visit tp-link.com/homeshield for more information. The Deco X50 isn’t a bad idea. High-end mesh systems generally offer far more bandwidth than the typical household really needs, so it makes sense to trade off some of that performance against price.

Quick Setup with the Deco App

Configuration is through the TP-Link Deco app. This makes it supremely easy to install the router: just follow the wizard through, and the app connects to the router, sets up the internet connection and prompts you to create a secure network. Clients need to support 802.11k/v/r and may require additional set up. Performance may vary depending on the client’s device.

As with the other X50 products, the TP-Link Deco X50-PoE is an AX3000 Wi-Fi 6 device. It has a 5GHz band rated at a maximum of 2402Mbit/s and a 2.4GHz band rated at 574Mbit/s. I connected my TP-Link Deco X50-PoE to an X50-5G. Although TP-Link sells an X50 mesh system as a bundle, it has since branched out to add a range of X50 products that do something different.Actual 5G downlink speeds vary between households. Factors affecting 5G speeds include the internet service level, real-time network capacity, equipment and client limitations, and environmental factors. Looking a little like a fancy vase thanks to its plastic case wrapping around the side, the TP-Link Deco X50-5G is a neat and relatively compact router. It’s a touch light on Ethernet ports, with only two Gigabit Ethernet ports and one 2.5 Gigabit Ethernet port at the rear. Wi-Fi settings are a little basic, with the TP-Link Deco X50-5G setting its own 2.4GHz and 5GHz channels automatically. Wi-Fi settings also include a guest network.

A powerful router in its own right, this model can be used with any other Deco devices, not just X50 versions, as part of a mesh system, giving you options if you need to boost its signal. Design and features

Engineered for More Devices

Use of WiFi 6 and other features including OFDMA, MU-MIMO, 1024-QAM, HE160 and BSS Color require clients to also support the corresponding features. The 160 MHz bandwidth may be unavailable in the 5 GHz band in some regions/countries due to regulatory restrictions. And the Deco design has its strengths. Upload speeds aren’t bad at all, while the HomeShield and smart appliance integrations add usefulness. Three Ethernet ports per unit is a welcome provision too. Clients need to support 802.11k/v/r and may require additional set up. Performance may vary depending on the client device. At the regular price, the obvious alternative is the Linksys Atlas Pro 6. That’s a very competitive option, as it only costs a tenner more, and offers faster overall coverage.

Here are the speeds I saw, along with those achieved in the same tests by some of the rival meshes mentioned above:multicoloured LED set into the base that glows various hues to let you know when something’s amiss. Although it is an X50 product, the TP-Link Deco X50-PoE will work with any existing Deco system, so it’s not just for people buying from scratch. Cellular speeds will depend on your location. I can get around 25Mbit/s when running on 4G, although I’ve got over 100Mbit/s in areas with a 5G connection. Performance To test the X50’s performance, I set up the system in my own home, with one node connected to the main internet line in the study and the other two in the adjoining bedroom and downstairs living room. Then I connected a laptop to the 5GHz network, carried it around various rooms and measured read and write speeds to an Asustor Drivestor 4 Pro NAS appliance connected to one of the gigabit Ethernet ports on the primary Deco station.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment