276°
Posted 20 hours ago

The Abominables: 1

£3.995£7.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Clarence had a problem, too. With him it was his brain. When he was small, Clarence had been naughty and left the valley without telling Lady Agatha and gone climbing on his own, and a gigantic boulder had come loose and hit him on the At this point in the book--so very early on--all I could think was "White Man's Burden" which is not a theme I want to find in a book published in 2013. extending the range of sentences with more than one clause by using a wider range of conjunctions, including when, if, because, although

Find some synonyms (words that mean the same or similar). Create a wordsearch or a crossword for the words that you have explored today for someone in your family to attempt. Whenever I find out that a book has been published posthumously, I feel rather sad. Unless the manuscript was completely prepped and ready to go with a bow on top, what you are reading is not the purest vision of the author. It's probably been filled in here and there by somebody else. It pains me to say that I did not enjoy this. So much so that I didn't even finish it. I can only review what I've read, but even that makes me rather sad.

She was born in Vienna, Austria, in 1925. When Hitler came into power, her family moved to England. She attended Bedford College, graduating in 1945; Cambridge University from 1946-47; and the University of Durham, from which she graduated with a diploma in education in 1965. Ibbotson had intended to be a physiologist, but was put off by the amount of animal testing that she would have to do. Instead, she married and raised a family, returning to school to become a teacher in the 1960s. Ibbotson was widowed with three sons and a daughter. If you have been looking for a perfect chapter book for a relatively new reader, this would be a wonderful choice. The illustrations are great, but the story stole my heart. Ibottson began writing with the television drama 'Linda Came Today', in 1965. Ten years later, she published her first novel, The Great Ghost Rescue. Ibbotson has written numerous books including The Secret of Platform 13, Journey to the River Sea, Which Witch?, Island of the Aunts, and Dial-a-Ghost. She won the Nestlé Smarties Book Prize for Journey to the River Sea, and has been a runner up for many of major awards for British children's literature. Summary: A century after a yeti captures Lady Agatha Farlingham and takes her to a hidden valley to raise his motherless children, tourism threatens their peaceful existence. Young Con and Ellen take these educated and civilized yetis across Europe to Lady Agatha’s home in England.

Eva Ibbotson's original name was Maria Weisner. She was an Austrian Jew whose extraordinary parents – her father a pioneer of artificial insemination, her mother a colleague of Brecht and Pabst – brought her to England in 1933. After they separated, young Maria spent long hours shuttling between London and Newcastle, looking through train windows for what she called "Third Places", large, beautiful houses in which her familial diaspora might regather. Somewhere like Farley Towers.I would highly recommend The Abominables to readers that are fans of the late, great Eva Ibbotson. Readers that enjoy animal stories, humor, and adventure will greatly enjoy the story. I am a little unsure on my age recommendations as I think readers around 8 and older would be my best guess. However, there is quite a bit about animal rights and cruelty so some of the youngest set might be upset by. However, (spoiler) every character gets their happy ending so that might be enough to make the mild upset worth the big happy that is sure to follow. I gave this book 4 stars on Goodreads. Eva's books for older readers (12+) include: The Morning Gift, A Song for Summer, The Secret Countess, A Company of Swans and Magic Flutes. Her books for younger readers (9+) include: The Dragonfly Pool, Journey to the River Sea and The Star of Kazan. Annotate your picture using words from the text to i) describe their appearance and ii) describe their personalities.

What kind of herbs was she on while in that valley? The country where people hunt foxes is not a good place to bring yetis. Discuss any new/interesting vocabulary that you encounter. Use a dictionary/thesaurus/https://www.wordhippo.com/ to find the meanings and some synonyms. At first Lady Agatha was surprised by how easily the yetis took to a civilized English upbringing, but she soon realized that they were truly kind and considerate by nature, not only to each other, but to every living thing. In the mornings, when she combed them, they would cup their huge hands to catch the little spiders and beetles that had crept into their hair during the night, and release them carefully onto the ground. They always looked where they were putting their huge feet, avoiding worm casts and spiders’ nests and molehills, in case someone was at home. So they were particularly pleased when Agatha taught them to say sorry, for you should Always Apologize for Any Inconvenience You Have Caused. Her books are imaginative and humorous, and most of them feature magical creatures and places, despite the fact that she disliked thinking about the supernatural, and created the characters because she wanted to decrease her readers' fear of such things. The joyful absurdity of the notion, combined with Ibbotson's wit, warmth, superb characterisation and love of the natural world should make this a classic --The Daily Mail

Get to know us

I loved the way this story included glimpses of history, various places across Europe and taught children values at the same time. Honestly, I finished the book before the kids and I read it together, just so I could see what happened next.

In a peaceful hidden valley, Lady Agatha sets about a happy new life bringing up the Yeti children, teaching them to speak and insisting on perfect manners. But as time moves on, the valley is threatened by the arrival of helicopters, tourists and property developers, and Agatha, now an old lady, begins to worry about the safety of her naive and innocent charges, who she fears will be captured by the Yeti-hunters. Born in Vienna, Eva Ibbotson came to England as a small girl. She spent much of her adult life in Newcastle upon Tyne. When her husband was alive he bred snails in the garage; they also kept fish and had a small and very hairy dog. Eva had four grown-up children and seven grandchildren. She wrote for both adults and children. Which Witch was runner-up for the Carnegie Medal and The Secret of Platform 13 was shortlisted for the Smarties Prize. Journey to the River Sea won the Smarties Book Prize Gold Award, was runner-up for the Whitbread Children's Book of the Year and the Guardian Fiction Award, and was also shortlisted for the Carnegie Medal. A beautiful young girl called Lady Agatha Farlingham was sleeping peacefully in a tent pitched on a ledge below the summit of a mountain known as Nanvi Dar. Beside her, wearing a green woolly nightcap against the bitter cold, slept her father, the Earl of Farley, and in another tent close by slept their three porters, tough natives of the Himalayas, who carried their baggage and looked after them. Another Ibbotson road trip that will have you alternately laughing and crying is One Dog and His Boy. It comes very highly recommended by Bookbag. We also have a review of Magic Flutes by Eva Ibbotson. This whole class reading session aims to develop children’s comprehension skills through a reading of the opening chapter of Eva Ibbotson’s ‘The Abominables.’

Follow us

Oh!” said Agatha. Sleeping peacefully, curled up in each other’s arms, were two fat, furry baby yetis. She bent down to touch the one nearest to her. Its silly, big feet were pulled round its plump stomach, and when it opened its eyes and looked at her, they were a deep and lovely blue. THE ABOMINABLES is a delightful, imaginative tale with a strong moral center. There are some laughs about the yetis, who sometimes take it to far (such as apologizing to a cake they're about to eat), but the earnestness of this novel is charming. The darker moments keep THE ABOMINABLES from becoming saccharine.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment