276°
Posted 20 hours ago

WILBB Mens Down Jacket Men's Down Jacket 90% White Eiderdown Coat Thickened Parka Coat Waterproof Coat (Color : Red, Size : 4XL)

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

And fourthly, the means they go to to collect the eiderdown & its sustainability - you definitely come to understand this is something Ragna and her team genuinely appreciate doing. Adapted from Harvest: The Hidden Histories of Seven Natural Objects by Edward Posnett, published by The Bodley Head on 8 August and available at guardianbookshop.com On average, standard down duvets have a lifespan of 8-10 years. Duvets filled with eiderdown can last four times longer, up to 40 years. To make the most of this extreme longevity, proper maintenance is necessary. It’s often called an arms race between the prey and predator,” Grant Gilchrist, a research scientist with expertise in Arctic marine ecology, said in a 2017 interview. “Right now, because this amount of devastation is a fairly new phenomenon, the birds are still nesting in pretty big colonies, and the bears are destroying them.” I have slept under white goose down my entire life, and recently upgraded to eiderdown. It is distinctly fluffier and lighter with no shortage of warmth. I am delighted with my Icelandic Down duvet.

Eiderdown possesses important characteristics which are absolutely necessary for the filling of high-quality duvets. It is respiratory-active and possesses a moisture-regulating effect to ensure a pleasantly warm and dry sleeping environment. Collection They’re warm, they’re hydrophobic but are eiderdown feathers ethical? The answer is a complicated one. It's a stringent process but only a tiny fraction of the down produced in the world today meets this standard. Although he was born in Britain, James worked as a milliner and custom dressmaker in New York between 1924 and 1929. In 1929 he opened premises in London. During the early 1930s he travelled extensively between London and Paris, establishing a Paris branch in 1934. Like Elsa Schiaparelli he was a friend of the Surrealist painter Salvador Dalí (1904-1989), and made use of Surrealist influences in his designs. According to Posnett, the recent history of the Westfjords, where the bulk of Iceland’s eiderdown is harvested, is really the story of rural depopulation, “of a vanishing culture next to the Arctic Circle,” he says.

The Arctic fox – Vulpes lagopus – is the only mammal in Iceland whose presence predates the island’s settlement. Much smaller than its red cousin, the Arctic fox has miniature soft paws that are entirely covered in fur (hence its species name, which means “rabbit foot” in Latin). Perfectly adapted to the country’s varying seasons, the foxes can roam thousands of kilometres, their winter coats transforming from white to brown or even blue in the summer months. There are many duvets out there, all to differing budgets but one chooses eiderdown when they want to truly spoil themselves with what is frankly the best of the best. Maybe I’m be economical with historical fact, but it’s a good story. The reality is pretty much true. Handling the boat with expert care, Alexíus guided us across the narrow stretch of water, scattering the seabirds on its surface. As we approached the island, I could hear the cries of his children playing in the water under the gaze of his mother. “It’s nice for them to be free,” Alexíus said, before we heard a high-pitched wail. “We get the occasional argument.” Those two effects — the more females breeding and larger clutch size — actually almost perfectly cancel out in our models the effect of polar bears eating more of their eggs,” explained Cody Dey, a researcher at the University of Windsor and lead author of the study.

Having been to Iceland and touched by the beauty of the land and the people, I knew I wanted to buy a duvet crafted there. Deciding to spend a boatload of money on a blanket wasn't easy, but deciding to buy from Icelandic Down was. Price, quality and customer service were all excellent. Tufts of eiderdown have neither quill nor any other hard components, so they are extremely soft and give off a unique cuddly feeling. Long lifespanSome brands are reusing down by sterilizing and recycling the feathers. Sustainable outdoor gear giant Patagonia has committed to using 80 percent recycled down. Eiderdown’s future If the condition of the cover requires it, you can have the duvet renewed. In the case of an overhaul, the down is removed and cleaned, and, if necessary, placed in a new cover. Exclusivity

I wanted to know how this relationship worked, how it was possible for a wild bird to behave as if it were domesticated. How did this strange tradition come about? How was it that the relationship had been preserved despite the arrival of the market? Could eiderdown harvesting teach us about our relationship with other species? This is probably the largest eider colony in the world and it’s having pretty much no reproductive output at all.” Five thousand euros,"says Elin Logadottir, sales director at 66° North, an outdoor clothing company based in Iceland.

As first I must say that the quality is excellent. Nothing you could get better elsewhere I would say. And their work islabor-intensive. Collecting just one kilogram of eiderdown can take a skilled worker almost half a day, and that's before the cleaning process starts. It also brings questions about authenticity. How do you know if you’re getting real eiderdown? Courtesy Savior Beds There have been other concerns over the years, including sedating eider predators — a practice that was once widespread across Iceland — approved and employed by the government as well as farmers.

Like many Lutheran parishes, the pastor’s land is among the most prized in the Westfjords. In the shadow of a steep glacial wall, his family home and church overlook a floodplain that leads to the shoreline. It was hard to conceive of a more peaceful spot for a family, yet there was an air of abandonment to the pastor’s home. Children’s toys lay scattered around on the floor and a layer of dust covered the work surfaces. The previous winter, he explained, the weather had got so bad that he and his family had to leave the parish and take an apartment in Ísafjörður. He now rarely spends any time in the house. “We were trapped here for 36 hours with no electricity, no phone,” he said. “I can’t be responsible for that.” Another scenario could see efforts to stop polar bears from hunting the eggs. And with the bears already critically endangered, human interference could lead to further population declines. Eiderdown demandIn 2012, People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals released a video of the practice. Shot in China, which produces 80 per cent of the world's down, it's ghastly and disturbing. A new standard Thirdly, value for money, they really are unmatched. My duvet had over 1kg of eiderdown fill and when compared with elsewhere, IcelandicDown was at least 30% more inexpensive. This video prompted some companies to adopt what is now known as the global traceable down standard. There is one way of collecting down from a waterfowl which is 100 per cent sustainable, leads to no pain or anguish for the bird involved and may actually improve their life.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment