276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Friendaholic: Confessions of a Friendship Addict

£8.495£16.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

I can sense that she will be routinely criticised for being a wealthy white women trying to explore her friendships in a first world country where she wants for very little. These phrases capture the frequently replicated finding that female friends like to "just talk" and view this activity as central to their friendship. From ghosting to frenemies, to social media and communication styles, to the impact of seismic life events, Elizabeth leaves no stone untouched. No matter how much we try to convince ourselves that we don’t care what others think about us, no one wants to be thought of as a total twat.

Friendaholic by Elizabeth Day is a mix of self-help and nonfiction books as Elizabeth tells stories from her personal life when discussing different types of friendships.

I’ve already bought this for several people and recommended to others and all are finding it an insightful read. This made me very reflective and there were some really strong chapters (the one on fertility/managing female friendships around parenthood in particular). The trouble is, she continually tries to draw universal conclusions from her own (again, very specific) experiences. I was really excited to read this as I thought it would help me be a better friend and strengthen friendships. Perceptive, compassionate and filled with relatable insights into all that is beautiful about friendship, with its most valuable point being that it should be about quality, rather than quantity.

From exploring her own personal friendships and the distinct importance of each of them in her life, to the unique and powerful insights of others across the globe, Elizabeth asks why there isn't a language that can express its crucial influence on our world. The 103 third parties who use cookies on this service do so for their purposes of displaying and measuring personalized ads, generating audience insights, and developing and improving products. Then, when a global pandemic hit in 2020, she was one of many who were forced to reassess what friendship really meant to them – with the crisis came a dawning realisation: her truest friends were not always the ones she had been spending most time with.Given that science is used as seasoning it shouldn't be surprising that there is little rigor cast over the facts chosen to support or prompt Day's positions. If you are a fan of Elizabeth Day (or even if you haven’t read anything else by her) I really recommend this book. She suggests, not quite jokingly, that it might be a good idea to send potential friends the equivalent of a pre-nup before agreeing to a first coffee date. As a bit of a friendaholic in my past too, there was a lot here I could relate too - anxious attachment style, need to feel loved and valued and fear of rejection.

The title of the book is not, as it turns out, some clever publisher’s gimmick; rather, it’s a bald confession of Day’s own recovery from codependency, in which her own self-worth was defined by the opinions of others. The cultural perception of what a best friend was, and how many one should have, varied across countries.It’s true that in most cases, there is no dramatic ending or huge falling out, they’ve just naturally come to an end. This book embodies a chapter of life we shared, some that proceeded it and the unwritten ones yet to come. I love delving into the discussion of any sort of relationships, so this definitely ticked that box!

Like Day, my friendships are incredibly important to me, regular readers will know that, I’ve written about many of them. Misschien omdat ik precies het tegenovergestelde ben maar girly je kan gewoon nee zeggen tegen mensen en grenzen stellen?

Friendaholic is a perfect example of the right book at the right time, I read this 2 weeks before leaving all of my friends and moving to another country and as such found great solace in the reading experience.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment