276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Journey Under the Midnight Sun

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Mother of Yukiho, Fumiyo was seen by the police as a suspect in the pawnshop incidence. Soon after the murder, she died from a gas leakage at home. The truth, however, is much darker... Books written by Keigo Higashino leave most of the readers pretty speechless with their clever twists & turns, adroit characterization, and the depth of emotions that lace the actions on part of all concerned. The book under review is, even by his standards, a masterpiece, that has literally left me stunned. I am actually finding it difficult to write a review of it, but still, one has to try. There never was a sun in the sky over me. It’s always night. But not dark. I had something in place of the sun. Maybe not as bright, but enough for me. Enough so I was able to live in the night like it was day…” You know how the sun rises and sets at a certain time each day? In the same way, all of our lives have a day and night. But it’s not set like it is with the sun. Some people walk forever in the sunlight, and some people have to walk through the darkest night their whole lives. When people talk about being afraid, what they’re afraid of is that their sun will set. That the light they love will fade.” Book Genre: Asian Literature, Crime, Cultural, Fiction, Japan, Japanese Literature, Mystery, Thriller

Journey Under the Midnight Sun - For Keigo Higashino - Journey Under the Midnight Sun - For

Higashino leaves behind the increasingly weighty cases of Detective Galileo ( A Midsummer’s Equation, 2016, etc.) for an even more daunting stand-alone that traces the fallout of an unsolved murder through nearly two decades. We all know how sun rises and sets at a certain time each day. In the same way, all of our lives have a day and night. But it’s not set like it is with the sun. Some people walk forever in the sunlight, and some people have to walk through the darkest night their whole life. When people talk about being afraid, what they’re afraid of is that their sun will set. That the light they love will fade, that’s why they are frightened. This book was absolutely brilliant! It is so much different from the other crime thrillers I’ve read; here, we follow the mystery and its effects for a long period of time. This novel takes place over a span of two decades and follows the lives of two people connected solely because of the crime and detective Sasagaki’s obsession with uncovering the truth, as he believes the crime has caused a ripple effect which impacts the lives of people even after 20 long years. An officer in the Crime Investigation Unit of the Osaka Prefectural Police, Junzo was in charge of the investigation of the pawnshop incidence. Over the years of investigation, he grew suspicious of the mysterious events befallen on people close to Yukiho and Ryoji; he has been investigating them since. He likes Seven Stars cigarettes very much. A suspenseful, professional-grade north country procedural whose heroine, a deft mix of compassion and attitude, would be welcome to return and tie up the gaping loose end Box leaves. The unrelenting cold makes this the perfect beach read.In Osaka in 1973, the body of a murdered man is found in an abandoned building. Investigating the crime, Detective SasagakI is unable to find the killer. Over the next twenty years, through the lens of a succession of characters, Higashino tells the story of two teens, Ryo and Yukiho, whose lives are most affected by the crime, and the obsessed detective, Sasagaki, who continues to investigate the murder, looking for the elusive truth. Born in Osaka, he started writing novels while still working as an engineer at Nippon Denso Co. (presently DENSO). He won the Edogawa Rampo Prize, which is awarded annually to the finest mystery work, in 1985 for the novel Hōkago (After School) at age 27. Subsequently, he quit his job and started a career as a writer in Tokyo. This book truly is a masterpiece! If you’re a fan of thrillers and anything related to Japan, I highly recommend this book. Ryoji's secondary schoolmate, Fumihiko had photos about a secret of Ryoji's mother Yaeko. He was later set up and became the suspect of another crime. Unlike many other Japanese crime fiction greats such as Kirino Natsuoand Nakamura Fuminori, there’s nothing particularly literary about Higashino’s writing style. In fact, one of the reasons that I suspect TV and film producers regularly turn to Higashino is because his work is remarkably easy to translate directly into visual media. With efficiency and minimal embellishment, Higashino describes conversations, events, and results, without any particular desire for philosophical digressions or genre-bending. The author claims to be most heavily inspired by authors such as Matsumoto Seicho and Edogawa Ranpo, and that heritage is evident in his own work. Journey Under The Midnight Sun is a long read, but a highly accessible one that is particularly undemanding of the reader.

Byakuyako (2006) - MyDramaList

The book is complex to the extent where the reader knows that at the end of this maze only the Minotaur would be waiting for him. It was unbelievably good, deeply unsatisfactory, and heartbreakingly tragic. Why? Because so many lives got destroyed, one fell, the other rose, and we kept walking under the midnight Sun. Perhaps, we might have another book that would eventually show someone crashing even that Olympian figure, and only then it would be the end of the night. In Osaka, 1973, a body was found in an abandoned building. The police never caught the killer nor the motive for the murder. The story then moves on to Ryo, the son of the murdered man, and Yukiho, the daughter of the main suspect, were the ones who are most affected by the crime. |Oh well, Journey under the Midnight Sun is indeed a bit too harsh when you come to think of it in a metaphorical way that.. LIFE is all about surviving. Anyway, if you're familiar with the novel "Gone with the Wind".. You will somehow knew about these two very flawed people I'm referring to. :)

i will recommend it to everyone who wants something different and unpredictable, it's dark and heavy though but it's a great drama, the music is good too, overall i love it, but i won't rewatch it, i don't want to endure the same torture i had while watching it. you will understand what i'm talking about if you watch it.. enjoy.. :D A Midsummer’s Equation, with Detective Galileo from The Devotion of Suspect X, is due in early 2016. The author’s previous book, Malice, was one of our top books of 2014 and you’ll find more Japanese crime fiction here.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment