276°
Posted 20 hours ago

A Winter Grave: a chilling new mystery set in the Scottish highlands

£11£22.00Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

No idea. But someone was out there in the hall listening to us talking in here. I don't know how much they could hear, or why they would want to, but they ran off through the snow when I went after them with my torch.'

A Winter Grave: a chilling new mystery set in the Scottish

His daughter, Addie, is a meteorologist in the remote Scottish Highlands. She has installed weather stations; her task is to take weather readings and report any changes. She discovers the body of a man encased in ice and suspended in an ice cave. He is identified as George Younger, an investigative reporter who went missing three months earlier. He said he was going hiking on a hill-walking holiday. He was never known to be a hiker or outdoorsman.Glasgow detective Cameron Brodie volunteers to fly out to investigate Younger’s death, but his ulterior motive is something else all together. He’s been given the devastating news that he has only months to live, but he needs to meet up with Addie, the meteorologist first, he has something really important to tell her before it’s too late - because Addie is his estranged daughter. I have one event in London and a short Scottish tour where I will talk about the book and sign copies. There are multiple twists and turns throughout the novel which kept me on the edge of my seat, and an ending I never saw coming. In 2051, after a catastrophic climate change, vast swathes of the planet are underwater, and Scotland is a changed place. Old-school detective Cameron Brodie tries to keep up but knows his time is limited. On the day that he learns he has terminal cancer, he is also asked to look into the death of a journalist found encased in ice. The dead man is investigative reporter, George Younger, missing for three months after vanishing during what he claimed was a hill-walking holiday. But Younger was no hill walker, and his discovery on a mountain-top near the Highland village of Kinlochleven, is inexplicable.

Winter Grave | Goldsboro Books A Winter Grave | Goldsboro Books

While initially these threads may have felt a bit disparate, they came to flow well together for me, filling in aspects of the story as and when needed for the sake of all the characters involved. May is expert at creating settings of all kinds, here majestic, beautiful, threatening, and deadly. He also can devise plots that are complex but are not overdone. He cares about his characters and makes them human. The three stories, of climate, of crime, of family, work out along side each other, though the climate story really hasn’t worked out at all! And Brodie is determined to take what may be his last opportunity to tell his daughter what he has been silent about for the ten years since her mother’s death.Glasgow Police DI Cameron Brodie, fresh from failing to get murder conviction due to technical complications, rejects his DCI’s request to accompany the pathologist to perform a post mortem on Younger, and, noting his expertise in hill walking, examine the scene. But then he receives a diagnosis adverse enough to change his mind. A Winter Grave takes place in the not-too-distant future, in 2051. It begins with the discovery of the body of an investigative reporter. Brodie is a detective sent to investigate the body of a journalist found frozen in the snow in Scotland . The book is set in 2051 and climate change has flooded many areas and increased snowfall in others. Scotland has its independence and has made itself self sufficient in energy by building a nuclear power plant. This power plant is near where the body was found. There’s more going on here, Brodie is estranged from his daughter who just happens to be married to the local police officer. Set in 2051, so not that far in the future, the world has undergone massive climate and political change. Many areas of the world are under water; others too hot to be habitable, and if you think that there's a refugee problem now, just wait . . .

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment