276°
Posted 20 hours ago

The Pact

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

And I realize these scenes were a plot device for the subplot of Emily’s molestation by the man at McDonalds but it didn’t have to go that far with her scenes with Chris. If the author wanted me still feel for Chris she should have had him stop and be okay with it. All I could think about was that he was about two steps away from being like the man at McDonalds. It would have been a much better story if that had never happened between Chris and Emily and I probably would have actually The Pact a lot more. And it would have made a lot more sense for it to have not happened because I thought Chris was supposed to be this perfect man but his actions continuously showed me otherwise.

I felt sorry for Emily and Chris' parents. They both lost a person they love and Chris' family was struggling through their son's imprisonment and trial. The teenagers families were once so close and now Emily's mother becomes bitter and vindictive and her father looks for comfort from Chris' mother. This book was a complete and utter mess. After this review I’m going to push this story from my mind and pretend that I never read it at all. I don’t think there is a single good thing I said about this book. I guess I semi-liked Chris’s sister Kate but she wasn’t in it enough for me feel attached to her. Everything else besides Kate was a pile of crap. I felt like there just wasn't quite ENOUGH drama in this book... I expected one more horrifying secret to be revealed at the end. I did not believe that Emily's reasons for killing herself were sufficiently grave. And I couldn't believe that NO ONE -- not the police, not his parents, not the lawyer, no one -- asked Chris what really happened that night. But, make no mistake, a poor day with a Jodi Picoult novel is still a very sunny day in a literary world clouded with sub-standard choices. I'm a confirmed fan. Now that I've found her work, I'm looking for another one to read post haste.

Customer reviews

Every time I read a Jodi Picoult story, she just shreds my heart and leaves me sobbing. That is exactly what happened while reading THE PACT. Emily and Chris have been best friends since they were born. Their parents are next door neighbors too and best friends as well. That is until that fateful night when everyone's lives change, one even ends. Trust me, hang on tight! The emotions roller coaster Jodi Picoult puts her readers on with THE PACT is one crazy ride. Early morning: Some people find that reading in the morning helps them start their day with a positive and productive mindset.

Perhaps if she had explored the realm of sexual abuse and sought to show some type of healing...anything...perhaps then the book would have been more palatable to me. However, I very much doubt that, and as you can tell from my review...I give this novel one star because I did NOT like it...I hated it. In the present, the Golds are devastated by Emily's death, bewildered by the notion that she was suicidal and they had no inkling. As the story opens Emily and Chris are on a date at a local carousel when a shot is fired. Cut to the hospital: Emily, shot in the head, is dead; Chris is disoriented with 70 stitches for a scalp laceration. When the police arrive Chris says that he and Emily had a suicide pact but that he fainted and fell before he could shoot himself. Before long Chris is arrested for murdering Emily. The Hartes and the Golds had been neighbours and best friends for 18 years. So it was no surprise that their children, Emily Gold, a talented young artist, and Chris Harte, a bright, motivated athlete and the star of his high school swimming team, would also grow up as inseparable best friends. Emily and Chris, born only scant weeks apart, bonded even as infants and grew up as close together as two non-siblings possibly could be. What Emily knew, Chris also knew and understood. When Chris was hurting, Emily also suffered and shared his pain. What Emily experienced, Chris also felt with a powerful bond of empathy that approached the strength of the almost surreal attachment that fraternal twins feel for one another. It came as no surprise to their parents, their teachers and their friends that their attachment, in the fullness of time, blossomed into a more mature romantic love that everyone around them fully expected would end in their eventual marriage to one another. During your commute: If you take public transportation or have a long commute, you may find it helpful to use that time to read.

Their daughter was a talented artist with applications on her desk to the finest art schools, including the Sorbonne. No, currently, there is no movie project for this novel. Where can I read the The Pact by Dakota Rebel?

Not sure about spoilers here. I think I danced around things pretty well, but you may want reconsider your decision to read further in case I messed up.*** To say there had been a loss was ludicrous; one lost a shoe or a set of keys. You did not suffer the death of a child and say there was a loss. There was a catastrophe. A devestation. A hell." I dont fully understand how he could have gone through with helping her commit suicide, and not tell someone...either her parents or his? I wonder if he did, if things would have ended up okay, or if she would have went ahead and done it alone?What would make her want to kill herself? When Chris is arrested the Golds at least have someone to blame.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment