276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Mythologica: An encyclopedia of gods, monsters and mortals from ancient Greek

£10£20.00Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

I was gonna have to comment on this sooner or later, but what is with the artwork? I won't say that it's bad, because it's not. But it is so out there that it definitely isn't to my tastes. It's also the last thing that I would ever expect to depict the characters of Greek mythology. The style of it all just doesn't match. This is not an art style befitting of these stories. It doesn't fit and I don't care for it. Mythologica’ provides an excellent introduction to Greek mythology for young readers with beautiful and inspiring art. Hermes, the messenger of the gods, is also the god of thieves, athletes and the guide to the underworld. Gaia, primordial goddess of the Earth, had a long and ultimately unsuccessful contest with Zeus about who should rule the Universe. The Fates, or Moirae, gave people their “share” of life and were severe, implacable goddesses who controlled the destiny of every human being. In the end, I think the best thing I have to say about this book is that it's not bad...but it could have been much better.

Artist Victoria Topping’s artwork is a blend of modern and traditional techniques and the result is quite stunning. Each character has a unique and colorful visual portrayal which has added a unique dimension to the book. Mythologica: An encyclopedia of gods, monsters, and mortals from ancient Greek' by Stephen P. Kershaw with illustrations by Victoria Topping is a gorgeously illustrated book featuring 50 icons from Greek mythology. You wouldn't change Van Gogh's art to look like Thomas Kinkade; so why change Ancient Greek style to like anything other than what it is.Golema, Martin. "Medieval Saint Ploughmen and Pagan Slavic Mythology." Studia Mythologica Slavica 10 (2007): 155–77. Print. We chose this book for a Literary Leaf as it links beautifully to any studies on Greek Myths as part of a topic, theme or historical study of Ancient Greece. I’m the end, I’m so grateful to those inspiring teachers and those magical books for letting me meet the wild and beautiful goddess Artemis and her brother Phoebus (‘Shiny’) Apollo, sail with the brave and bold Jason on his journey to capture the Golden Fleece, and wrestle with the Nemean Lion. They gave me the opportunity to read, write and teach about them, and because of them the world of Greek mythology is still very much alive, at least in my world. Orpheus, in Mythologica, illustrated by Victoria Topping However this book is wonderfully fleshed out by Kershaw. Connecting the dots between different gods and giving us a fantastic picture of what these Gods do and their histories, Mythologica is a good gift for anyone with a fascination in classics and mythology - Kershaw uses simple language and defines the words we need to understand perfectly throughout this book. Thanks to Quarto Publishing Group and NetGalley for the Advance Review Copy in exchange for an honest review.

I don't feel like Mythologica really knows its audience. On the one hand, it's suggested that the book is marketed for middlegrade readers. That said, I don't really imagine this age group really finding any reason to want to read this story. The text is too small and crowded to hold a child's interest and, on top of all that, the artwork is far too outlandish. Mythologica: An encyclopedia of gods, monsters, and mortals from ancient Greece is as the title suggests, an illustrated encyclopedia of Greek mythology. Mythologica features stunningly beautiful portraits of mythological characters from the Greek Mythology Overall, this is an absolutely gorgeous book on legendary characters and creatures from Greek mythology. The book is both exciting and informative and it will make you want to learn more about Greek Mythology. Puisilsprennentprogressivement une figuration plus abstraite. Ainsi trouvons nous une déesse de l'accouchement, un dieu des tempêtes, une déesse de l'amour, voire un dieu de la cuisine, soucieux du confort de ses occupants.Listed alphabetically, each boldly designed spread presents a figure from the myths, including their name in Greek, their defining attributes, and a summary of their story, along with multiple sidelights that provide additional facts. Interspersed with the profiles are summaries of famous mythological tales and historical events, like the Odyssey, the Trojan War, and the story of the Argonauts. This encyclopaedia of gods, monsters, and mortals from Ancient Greece serves as a fantastic entry point or reference guide for those at all interested in mythology. The book highlights 50 key figures, and though the text for each character isn’t exactly exhaustive, we’re given a condensed snapshot of their role within the canon, and a few interesting facts about them. Seasoned myth enthusiasts are unlikely to learn anything new, as such, but having been written by a Classics scholar and Greek mythology expert, the information is succinct and reliable.

English–Arabic English–Bengali English–Catalan English–Czech English–Danish English–Hindi English–Korean English–Malay English–Marathi English–Russian English–Tamil English–Telugu English–Thai English–Turkish English–Ukrainian English–Vietnamese For centuries, the chimera has been known as a scary mythological creature made from bits of lion, goat and snake. In painful times, books can be the greatest comfort": Anne Fine on how reading can help children cope with feelings of grief les « cycles », qui racontent l’histoire d’un dieu ou d’un héros (Héraclès, Jason ...), sont sans signification cosmique ; Overall, it was a little repetitive in places, but a good attempt at summarising the Greek myths. Especially of stories such as the Odyssey. I would definitely recommend this book as a coffee book, or for a child who's into mythology! I myself love mythology and was aware of a lot of these stories already, but still learnt a thing or two. I think this book is also a great introduction to Greek mythology to newbies too!I voluntarily read and reviewed an advanced copy of this book. All thoughts and opinions are my own.•

From the fearless Athena and her meddlesome ways to the brace and bold Odysseus and his remarkable journey home, the Mythologica: An encyclopaedia of gods, monsters and mortals book is the perfect introduction to 50 of the most exciting characters of ancient Greek mythology. It gets even more confusing when you realize that much of the imagery, some of the beasts and people described are not Greek at all. Who writes a book, markets it as Greek mythology and then has no Greek influences in the art and design; and then adds in beasts like the Phoenix? It's just all very confusing. Vint ensuite l’âge d’argent, où les humains passèrent une partie inhabituellement longue de leur vie dans l'enfance. Ils sont devenus impies et méchants, alors Zeus les a détruits. Les légendes urbaines sont le genre moderne du folklore qui est enraciné dans la culture populaire locale, comprenant généralement des histoires de fiction souvent présentées comme vraies, avec des éléments macabres ou humoristiques. De nombreux mythes grecs racontent l’histoire des héros qui étaient souvent semi-divins, comme Persée, ou des rois, comme Agamemnon.

Unexamenrapide de ses informations diverses peut laisser croire que ces légendes plus ou moins merveilleuses se présentent comme un tout cohérent, qui aurait été codifié et ordonné par le temps pour être facilement compréhensible pour un esprit moderne et figé une fois pour toute. Listed alphabetically, each spread presents a mythological figure, their attributes, and a summary of their story, along with some additional trivia. Along with them, popular mythological stories like Pandora's box, The Odyssey, and The Trojan War and the Argonauts. are also covered. The book was concise with general information. The only thing I hated was the quoted text since it's the same information as the one in the paragraph so I didn't see the point of it there repeated. Another problem for me was how some parts were worded since I wasn't sure who they were talking about exactly. Also, the sypnosis mentioned that it's alphabetical but my ebook copy wasn't so... I'm not sure?

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment