276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Narwhal: Unicorn of the Sea!: the perfect funny comic style book for young reluctant readers!: Book 1 (Narwhal and Jelly)

£3.495£6.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Hilarious and charming. The most lovable duo since Frog and Toad.”—NYT-bestselling creator of the Dog Man and Captain Underpants series, Dav Pilkey With a mixture of fun facts, nonsense stories and an eccentric narwhal song, this quirky chapter book is ideal for junior readers who enjoy something a bit different. These two are not unlike Frog and Toad or Heart and Brain or Snail and Worm: Three Stories About Two Friends. There's the impulsive, fun one and the logical, more down-to-earth (or down to ocean bottom, I suppose) one. One worries more and the other is spontaneous. It's a common friendship model, by now, but one that doesn't seem to get old. She liked it so much she then made an entire Super Narwhal book herself and took it into school as a gift for her class, I figure you can’t get much higher praise than that!

Once the paint is dry cut your blue paper into strips and glue these onto the bottom of the paper plate to make Jelly’s tentacles. From the second piece cut out the bottom part of Narwhal’s tail – this should look a bit like a heart shape. You can see all of the cut out pieces of Narwhal below to give you an idea what I mean!The last story features a sad Jelly. Narwhal takes it upon himself to cheer Jelly up but how should he proceed and will he be able to make Jelly happy again? Geez, Narwhal and Jellyfish are adorable. There’s no other word as appropriate for this duo& readers will likely clamour for the next outing' – Starred Review, Bulletin of the Center for Children’s Books An utterly enchanting start to a series that’s bound to be popular among young readers' - Starred Review, School Library Journal

The witty comic-strip illustrations are simple, yet full of character, and are rendered using a predominantly blue and yellow palette, with occasional splashes of colour. Start by cutting a piece from the bottom of your paper plate to make the main part of Jelly’s body and then paint this plate blue. Dive into three new stories about the joy of adventure and the power of friendship! In the first story, Otty the otter makes her debut splash; while Narwhal greets her with immediate enthusiasm, Jelly’s not so sure about her…mostly because he worries she’ll take his place as Narwhal’s best friend. Readers will easily see why Narwhal’s so excited to meet Otty, a boisterous explorer who even has an aunt who’s a real live sea captain! But readers will also relate to Jelly’s uneasiness seeing his best friend making a new pal. The whole book is enjoyable from beginning to end and I laughed just as much as I did throughout the first book, ‘Narwhal: Unicorn of the Sea!‘ Sometimes children just need something that they can find amusing, something to give them the giggles and put a smile on their faces and I believe these books will do just that. Narwhal and Jelly is a series of books that have just launched in the UK from Egmont Publishing. The books are about two friends that love adventures, parties and waffles (especially waffles) and they’re perfect for kids aged five and over who are progressing from picture books as they’re created as early graphic novels with loads of pictures.Bantering dialogue entertains throughout, but the book’s best moment might belong to the third story, when Narwhal lends Jelly his “favourite book in the whole wide water, which is blank…“. "It’s an imagination book, Jelly!… Narwhal explains. Readers ready for underwater goofiness of the non-SpongeBob variety will be eager for more adventures from this duo' – Publishers Weekly When he meets a jellyfish, they both assume they are imagining one another as neither of them has come across such bizarre-looking animaL before. Nevertheless, they decide to become friends and embark on some awesome adventures together. Full disclosure: I received a free copy of this book for review through Library Thing's Earlier Reviewers program.) We used to call this type of book a Beginning Chapter Book. They're aimed at new readers, those who have just learned to put sentences together and are ready for a bit more but aren't in the full paragraph stage, yet. Humor goes a long way in aiding both reading comprehension and discovery (remember the first time you got a joke in a book that wasn't about jokes?) and helps facilitate reading enjoyment. That's the real reason books like this are important. But I don't care about any of that. I care about the pictures! When we got these books I read the first book ( Narwhal: Unicorn of the Sea) to both my kids as a bedtime story and then I discovered my son (8) reading Super Narwhal and Jelly Jolt to my daughter who is 5.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment