276°
Posted 20 hours ago

By Ash, Oak and Thorn: the perfect cosy read for children, chosen as one of Countryfile's best books of 2021

£3.995£7.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Our reality is already challenging, complex, and dark. The older I get the more I realize, that simple lessons are valuable at all ages, perhaps even most valuable as we get older and are more likely to brush them aside. The Stubborn Light of Things was nominated for the Wainwright Prize and was named as East Anglian Book of the Year.

Irish-American Witchcraft: Oak, Ash, and Thorn – the Irish-American Witchcraft: Oak, Ash, and Thorn – the

Stories were a crucial way in which I connected with nature as a little girl, imaginatively and emotionally. I'd love to see a new wave of children's nature writing follow these books and help today's kids do the same.

About the book

It arrived with a seed paper tag attached to the cover and I was soon happily engaged and following the instructions – Plant, Water, Sun, Grow – and potting the seed paper. I have been promised flowers and I hope I’m not disappointed. Daniel Hadas adds: ‘The refrain shares the rhythm of that of the carol on the Seven Joys of Mary, with “good sirs” where the carol has “good man”. Kipling had already imitated that carol, again with “good sirs”, in his ‘ A Carol’ So this poem is a sort of pagan counterpart to the Christian original and Kipling’s imitation of it. “Oak, and Ash, and Thorn” are a Trinity of sorts.’ [D.H. All in all, I think the simple lessons and childlike nature of this book is not only relevant in our busy world, but are also extremely valuable lessons for all of humanity, if we only take the time to listen to them openly and non-judgementally. After reading the Brambly Hedge series with my children I was craving something longer form with a similar vibe to read for myself. I have been searching high and low for a wholesome, nature-inspired, whimsical, fairy story to fill my inner child with all the warm, adventurous, and wonder-filled feelings of being a tiny person in the wild world.

By Ash, Oak and Thorn by Melissa Harrison | School Reading List

Andrews, W.(ed.)(1897) 'Antiquities and Curiosities of the Church, William Andrews & Co., London 1897; pp. 256-278: 'Amongst the ancients the yew, like the cypress, was regarded as the emblem of death. I am adoring the folklore and mystery of the hidden folk, and I love that there is just enough fantasy and adventure balanced with cozy moments. As a homebody, I appreciate the hidden folk’s desire to feel at home somewhere and the description of all their little comforts wherever they can go. Verse 2, line 2] Aeneas: hero of Virgil’s Aeneid, leader of a group of fugitives after the fall of Troy, who becomes the ultimate founder of Rome.In Proto-Celtic the words for "oak" were * * daru and * * derwā; Old Irish and Modern Irish, dair; Scottish Gaelic, darach; Manx, daragh; Welsh, derwen, dâr; Cornish derowen; Breton, dervenn. [2] Ash [ edit ] If you find this talk of little people and Hidden Folk rather off-putting and twee, don’t worry, these characters, along with all the other wild creatures, once played a key role as guardians of the Wild World and they are worthy of our appreciation and admiration. I was convinced that the secret world of wild creatures not only exists but that we need to understand and promote it if we are to survive. We must learn how to live together, the wild creatures know this, but mortals are still learning the essential lessons of harmony. This is a delightful book. In it we are introduced to the Hidden Folk - little people in nature, and the adventure and journey that they go on. There are some great characters, an engaging plot, loads of interesting incidental learning about the natural world and relationships. Although, a children's book, I think anyone of any age would enjoy this wonderful book if they have an interest in nature or observing the world around a little more closely. This would be a wonderful read aloud book (and I almost wished I had a small person to read it too). Whatever your age through - it encourages us all to notice the small things, watch and listen more - and forage in hedgerows!

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment