276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Maesteg

£6.495£12.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Maesteg Children's Choir hosts many concerts throughout the year, and Curtain Up Youth Theatre has been performing musicals since the turn of the millennium. Thomas was married to Mary Edwards born 1843 in Dowlais and their children were Thomas, William, Margaret, Mary , Sarah and Ellen all born in Maesteg between 1874 and 1887. In 1911 my great great uncle Ioan (John) Joseph (1872-1925) lived in 33 West Street and was described as a chipped potato dealer. His sister Elizabeth Ann Joseph (1868-1935) married David John Llewellyn (1865-1917). In 1911 they lived at 15 West Street and he was described as a fish frier. My mother remembered visiting Aunty Nanny at her chip shop as a small girl, probably in the late 1920s. I've looked in trade directories but can't find any descriptions of these food outlets. Does anybody have any info, memories etc. please? I would like to know about Ioan Emlyn Joseph, born Alma Road, Maesteg 1896 a miner who joined the Welsh Regiment , saw service with RAMC in the Dardanelles, Egypt and Palestine and was killed in a mining accident in Llanelly in 1926. Thanks I am searching for information on my great grandparents who left Maesteg for the US between 1879-1881. Their names were William James Thomas and Mary Thomas Thomas. They gave most of their children the middle name Beynon, but I have not found the family connection to that name. Mary had other siblings including one named Henry who also emigrated to the US. There was at least one other sibling named Elizabeth who married John Powell. And possibly a fourth sibling named Thomas. I am interested in determining the names of their parents. Alexei’s mission is to break the golden rule of travelling by train and actually talk to his fellow passengers, in a quest for conversations with strangers that will reveal their lives, hopes, dreams and destinations.

Sir Rhys Hopkin Morris (1888–1956), politician, stipendiary magistrate and first director of the Welsh Region BBC Hi. I am researching my maternal grandmother's (Olwen Llewelyn) family tree. Her paternal grandparents were Isaac Llewellyn b c1851 Sth Wales and Elizabeth Howells b c1851 in Masteg. They were married in Llangynwyd Parish Church in 1870. In the 1871 census, they were living in Masteg with Elizabeth's parents - Benjamin Howells and Rachel ??Hughes (maiden), and Elizabeth's 6 other siblings. Isaac and Elizabeth sailed to Australia in 1872 and had 12 children, one of which was my great grandfather, William Francis Llewelyn. Any information would be greatly appreciated. looking for details of my grandfather Idris Morgan married to Sarah Richards.Children from marriage, Edgar, William, Etta, Mary & David. Lived in Bethania St,next door to Royal Oak.Would also be very interested in Richards and Madoc connections Along the way, Alexei holds a finger into the wind of the thoughts and moods of the great British travelling public. There’s humour, sadness and surprise as people reveal what is going on in their lives and, as Alexei passes through familiar towns and cities, he also delves into his own personal stories of a childhood in Liverpool and a long career as a comedian, actor and author.Last stall leaves 135-year-old indoor Maesteg Market". BBC. 13 April 2018 . Retrieved 28 June 2021. In common with the rest of Wales, the town has two official languages, English and Welsh. The majority of people in Maesteg are native English speakers, but there is a Welsh-speaking minority. The 2011 census reported that 11% of people over the age of 3 spoke Welsh. However, there were large discrepancies between age groups. 27.9% of 3-15 year olds spoke Welsh, 8.6% of 16-64 year olds spoke Welsh, and the lowest proportion was among the over 65s at 5.3%. [17] Trying to find a William John Hughes born (probably) circa 1881. Later married a Elizabeth Evans around 1900ish. Had a few sons - William, Hopkin, Victor, Kenneth, and a daughter Rose.All the kids were born between 1900 and 1910 in Maesteg - I have no idea where William John came from - any help? Maesteg has a tradition of music and theatre, including a rich tradition of singing. At present, there are three male voice choirs – Cor Meibion Maesteg A'r Cylch (Maesteg and District Male Voice Choir), Cor Meibion Glerwyr Maesteg Gleemen Male Voice Choir, and Cor yr Hen Blwyf (the Old Parish Choir) – the largest of which is Cor Meibion Maesteg. There are also two women's choirs: Cor Merched Cwm Llynfi (Llynfi Valley Ladies Choir) and Harmony Ladies Choir. There are two mixed groups, Noteworthy Choir and Take Note contemporary vocal group.

In the past, there were other railway stations in Maesteg. Llangynwyd Station used to lie on the Maesteg line a few miles east of where Garth Station is today, and Maesteg (Neath Road) was on the old Port Talbot Railway Line, but these are now closed. For many years after the Second World War, the local coal industry employed well over 2,000 workers and new jobs were created in local government-built factories and in new industries in the Port Talbot and Bridgend journey-to-work areas. Due to the buoyant coal industry and the success of the new factories during the years 1950–75, the population of Maesteg and district stabilised at about 20,000, roughly the figure today. With the creation of more jobs in the Bridgend and Port Talbot districts, the Llynfi Valley gradually became a residential area, a process which speeded up with the terminal decline of the coal industry during the period 1977 to 1985. Looking for the descendants of Thomas Burns born around 1838 in Dowlais but lived in Maesteg from 1891 onwards. When you come to Maesteg, your **** alarm will explode! Wherever you turn, there is always a **** there, either smoking, or riding a ****** old bike. The majority of *****, come from either Caerau (a sub-town of Maesteg) or Oakwood (a council estate based in Garth, another sub-town of Maesteg). You rarely see goth’s and emo’s in Maesteg, because of it’s high population of *****.I was born in Ivy House - first on the right in Talbot Terrace. My sister Sally now lives in the same street. I don't remember much before four and half years of age. I lived in that house with my grandfather, Demetrie Cambettie the 'hire and fire man' for all the mines in the Llynfi valley, my grandmother, Blodwen. My auntie Eurex and her five kids, Mair, Elfed, Gareth, Beti and Huw, my father Hector, mother Nansi and two siblings at the time, Philip and Sally. Hi, I'm looking for Owen Lloyd Jones, born c1913 in Maesteg. He married Edith Churchill. His parents were Daffydd Jones and Elizabeth unknown. White, Emma. "Cyfrifiad 2011: Ystadegau Allweddol ar gyfer Cymru, Mawrth 2011". www.ons.gov.uk . Retrieved 11 April 2018. The Welsh national anthem " Hen Wlad Fy Nhadau" was first performed in Maesteg, in the vestry of the original Capel Tabor which is now Maesteg Workingmen's Club. looking for anyone related to the James family especiall Lily .... she haf two children Sylvia and roy. would like to know anything about their fsther who is my great grandfather . They were all born in maesteg and were a large family some of the siblings being david t,elizabeth ann,william j,oswald j,howell,matilda,gwendoline and lowarth. all born between 1896 to 1905. any help would be warmly receivef.. thank you

Census 2011, Bridgend B.C. Ward Statistics for the upper Llynfi Valley (Caerau, Maesteg East and West, Llangynwyd). Retrieved 15 February 2013. Historically a part of Glamorgan, the growth of the town started with the opening of ironworks in the 1820s and 1830s. [3] Once a coal mining area, the last pit closed in 1985. With the decline of the coal industry and, more recently, the closure of one large factory producing cosmetics and another manufacturing vehicle components, the valley has become a residential/dormitory area for the Port Talbot, Bridgend and Cardiff journey to work areas. 11% (1,867 out of 20,702) of the town's population speak Welsh with 27.9% of 3-15 year olds speaking the language. [4] It is one of the few areas of Wales where the traditional Mari Lwyd is still celebrated during Christmas. [ citation needed] We moved to Queen Street when I was nearly 9, I carried on going to Plasnewydd School, a shorter walk thank God! I passed the 11+ on second list. My mother had our brother Robert (who now lives in Greece). Nice house but close proximity to the market meant on two rainy days we had two visitors - massive tarantulas! I now know they wanted the warmth and the first bedroom was mine, complete with airing cupboard. My brother had unwittingly brought one home under his coat in Bethania Street after bringing banana boxes home. The artist Christopher Williams was born in Maesteg in 1873: seven of his paintings are on display in the town hall. [21] [22] Media [ edit ]Can anyone please help me. my granmother Margaretta Lewis, married to Ivor, i am told was a famous opera singer. They lived in or around Maesteg perhaps in the 1930s-40s. I would love to know more about the family and her singing,thankyou Before the development of industry in the 1820s, the Llynfi Valley was a sparsely populated area of scattered farms. The nearest settlement was the village of Llangynwyd, located on the hillside about two miles south of the present-day town centre of Maesteg. Close to Llangynwyd is an extensive earthwork known as Y Bwlwarcau ("the bulwarks"), an Iron Age enclosure that is probably a remnant of the earliest settlement in the Llynfi district. The community of Maesteg had a population of 17,580 in the 2011 census and includes Nantyffyllon. [5] The built-up area having a population of 21,000. Blodwen Williams,daughter of Thomas James Morgan of Maesteg, and Margaretta Williams. Thomas Morgan was born 10th April 1880 and Margaretta was born 3rd March 1884. Blodwen was born at 47 Hermon Road, Caerau, and married David John Williams,originally from Mydroilyn, on the 2nd April 1923.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment