276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Arthur High King of Britain

£3.995£7.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Dichmann, Mary E. (1964). "The Tale of King Arthur and the Emperor Lucius". In Lumiansky, R. M. (ed.). Malory's Originality: A Critical Study of Le Morte Darthur. Johns Hopkins University Press. pp.67–90. ISBN 0801804035. According to Geoffrey of Monmouth, Merlin's work with Arthur was only part time. He was a famous 6th Century prophet and was kept busy by other jobs the rest of the time. Arthur himself is super unlikeable. I realize there are parts of the Arthur story that will inevitably be a little problematic, but they just were not handled well here, ESPECIALLY considering the fact that this is supposed to be a children's book- I felt there was way too much sexual content and violence for a book meant for 10-12 year olds. Also there were some grammar issues that shouldn't have made it past the editors.

Arthur, High King of Britain - Michael Morpurgo - Google Books Arthur, High King of Britain - Michael Morpurgo - Google Books

Whitaker, Muriel (1984). Arthur's Kingdom of Adventure: The World of Malory's Morte Darthur. Boydell & Brewer. ISBN 0859911659. The little changes that have been put in are mostly ones of chronology and swapping out characters. The healing of Sir Urry, for example, happens as soon as Lancelot comes to court, and Nimue is the one who sets up the test of the Green Knight...Bromwich, pp. 318–319, discusses the confusion of some of these various Constantines. Notable in the context of "Saint" Constantine is Custennin Vendigeit (The Blessed), the name for the historical usurper Constantine III in the Welsh Triads. A Middle Ages historian claimed Arthur was the High King of Britain, a descendant of the French Bretons' lineage. They arrived in Britain at the beginning of the 5th Century. Michael Morpurgo has thrilled and delighted huge numbers of young readers since becoming a children’s author in the early 1970s," Wood said. "Action for Children’s Arts is delighted to recognise Michael’s outstanding contribution by presenting him with the J M Barrie Award 2016. His work will undoubtedly, like Peter Pan, stand the test of time, making him a truly worthy recipient of this award."

Arthur High King of Britain : Morpurgo, Michael, Foreman

I confess to being a bit disappointed, I found it it quite slow, with fairly bland prose; to my surprise my Son loved it; read it at bed time and he found it engaging, never growing sleepy, always asking questions and begging for another chapter - so it obviously does something right. In fairness I learned a few new things about King Arthur as well. This book was a relatively fun read. It wasn't very well written and due to the nature of the tale (Arthur sitting in a cave telling a boy about him and his knights) the whole book felt unnatural. It was more of an information overload than a story. Fisher, IV, Benjamin Franklin (1990). "King Arthur Plays from the 1890s". Victorian Poetry. 28 (3/4): 153–176. JSTOR 40002298. Bruce, Christopher W. (1999). The Arthurian Name Dictionary. Taylor & Francis. ISBN 0815328656 . Retrieved 26 February 2014. I’ve read and reviewed a few of Morpurgo’s books for Reading in Bed ‘Why the Whales come’ and ‘Escape from Shangri-La’ both of which were set in a modern setting and both of which were more softer, subtle character like pieces.

Marooned on a sandbank, a boy faces certain death. With the sea closing in and the current about to drag him to a watery grave, his final wish is to see heaven. Waking in a strange bed, the boy meets an old man sitting by the fire with his dog. It is King Arthur, the great warrior of legend, and from his lips the boy hears of Camelot, chivalry, magic, evil and betrayal. An enchanting take on the legend of King Arthur from Britain’s best-loved children’s author, Michael Morpurgo.

Arthur, High King of Britain - Michael Morpurgo - Google Books

Geoffrey of Monmouth (2007). Huber, Emily Rebekah (ed.). "Arthur from the Vita Merlini". d.lib.rochester.edu/camelot-project. The Camelot Project, University of Rochester . Retrieved 8 July 2014. The Arthurian legend has many parallels with Ancient Egyptian legend. Osiris, the God of the 'not dead' takes Arthur's place. The most similar parts of the legends concern the death of their hero, Osiris being killed by his brother Set, then taken across the Nile by his sisters to a sacred place in the west to be healed and await the opportunity to return.

The two major centers for the cultus of Saint Constantine were the church in Constantine Parish and the Chapel of Saint Constantine in St Merryn Parish (now Constantine Bay), both in Cornwall. The former was established by at least the 11th century, as it is mentioned in Rhygyfarch's 11th-century Life of Saint David. At this time it may have supported a clerical community, but in later centuries it was simply a parish church. The Chapel at Constantine Bay had a holy well, and was the center of its own sub-parish. [9] Trachsler, Richard (2003). "A Question of Time: Romance and History". In Dover, Carol (ed.). A Companion to the Lancelot-Grail. D.S. Brewer. pp.23–32. ISBN 0859917835 . Retrieved 28 February 2014.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment