Magento Forum - UK Magento Forum (Unofficial)

An unofficial but dedicated Magento Forum for Magento Users, Designers and Developers

Pet Products Website

Want some constructive criticism of your Magento site, post it here

Pet Products Website

Postby Lynnh » Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:09 pm

Hi guys wondered if you could give me some feedback. Been live for a few months now..still got lots to do and some SEO related things to fix on the site.

http://www.dougalsden.co.uk/

Recently changed the Blog Template as well so any comments on that would be great !

Thanks

Lynn
Lynnh

Re: Pet Products Website

Postby Dx3Webs » Wed Oct 06, 2010 2:43 pm

Hi there,

1st impressions is great.. really hits you nicely.

there does seem be a lot of layers of menus which can be a bit confusing till you realise that the horizontal and vertical are the same.

You have no H1 tag on the front page.. well you do only there is no text attached to it.

I would ditch the toolbar on the front page.. it does nothing and takes up a lot of space

your quick search does not appear to return any results.. in fact i dont think your advanced search does either

other than that.. both the site and the blog look and feel great

cheers
Andy
Dx3webs
UK based Optimised Magento Managed Hosting : Full Managed service with Unlimited technical support
Contact Us | Dx3webs Magento Demo Store
Dx3Webs

Postby Lynnh » Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:09 am

Hi Andy and thanks for your comments

There does seem be a lot of layers of menus which can be a bit confusing till you realise that the horizontal and vertical are the same.

I am going to try to get the site changed so that only one layer of menu is shown along the top as I agree with you this is a bit confusing.

You have no H1 tag on the front page.. well you do only there is no text attached to it.
I think I have fixed this now it should have a some text

I would ditch the toolbar on the front page.. it does nothing and takes up a lot of space
Am also considering changing the newsletter bit to have better content as I believe that newsletter is not very exciting as a reason to submit address!

your quick search does not appear to return any results.. in fact i dont think your advanced search does either
Do you have any ideas why this might not be working? is it something that I could have set up incorrectly somehow?

Thanks so much for your comments + feedback I really so appreciate it

Lynn
Lynnh

Postby edmondscommerce » Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:21 pm

Hi Lynn - good to see the sites still going well

I like the new blog theme :)

your search looks to be working now
http://www.dougalsden.co.uk/catalogsear ... og&x=0&y=0
edmondscommerce

Postby xemero » Mon Dec 20, 2010 8:20 am

I think the site is nice and you have very nice images as well. At the moment, the top part of the page seems to take up quite a bit of space though and I would maybe think about re-formatting it a little. If you get rid of the empty space on the right and top left, users would have to scroll less to see the content.

best wishes,
xemero

-----
http://www.xemero.co.uk/
xemero

Postby skykid » Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:55 am

Hi,

May I be a little cheeky and ask how you got your blog page looking so nice and customised? I have the AW Blog extension installed and it's pretty basic (just images and text on the store wallpaper backdrop.)

Many thanks and congrats on the nice site!
skykid

Postby Dx3Webs » Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:01 pm

the easiest way is just to theme you blog to compliment your store.. no need for any real integration other than put a link or publish yoru latest posts.

We do this here cl-floraldesigns.co.uk/ if you look at bottom left we just created a block to show latest posts. the blog is just a standard wordpress install cl-floraldesigns.co.uk/blog/

we also use fishpigs integration tool which makes it eaiser for displaying posts within magento and makes it easier for clients who don't want 2 sets of backend details. eg hearinghelponline.co.uk/ / hearinghelponline.co.uk/articles/2010/11/22/causes-of-tinnitus
Dx3webs
UK based Optimised Magento Managed Hosting : Full Managed service with Unlimited technical support
Contact Us | Dx3webs Magento Demo Store
Dx3Webs

Postby skykid » Wed Dec 22, 2010 3:11 pm

So, if I understand this right, you can set up and customise a blog on Wordpress and then integrate it into the actual store on a blog CMS page?

The easiest option would be to redesign the AWBlog page with a custom layout and background from within my Magento store, but alas, I'm not sure how to customise individual pages yet, but a simple banner will do in the meantime.
skykid

Postby Jigowatt » Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:56 am

The Dougals Den blog was actually designed and built by ourselves and due to the functionality that Lynn required the AW Blog extension simply didn't cut it. Magento has a long way to go in terms of CMS prowess!
Jigowatt

Postby skykid » Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:59 pm

Thanks guys, I've been looking into the suggested fishpig integration tool and that looks to be the way to go when I have some free time to set it all up.
skykid

Next

Return to Magento Site Review