276°
Posted 20 hours ago

What's Eating Gilbert Grape?

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

It makes the movie make a lot more sense. I liked the movie quite well (I did see that when it came out; I also just watched it the other night for the sake of comparison and if it said "Based on the book by Peter Hedges" in the beginning, I missed it both the first time and when I watched it again on Friday) but I like the book a lot better. It's much more nuanced, the relationships between everyone are deeper, more real, more painful. I could relate with Book Gilbert far better than I could with Movie Gilbert and now I don't think Juliette Lewis was such a good choice. When they have to install support beams, because Momma’s weight is making the floor sink, it just so happen to be in the same spot where Albert had been hung. Momma My little brother is a somewhat round-looking kid with hair that old ladies always want to comb. He is a head shorter than me, with teeth that look confused. There's no hiding that he's retarded. You meet him and you figure it out right away. In the intro, the movie mentions that there is another Grape named Larry but that he moved away. In the book there are two Grapes that moved away, both of whom are in between Amy and Gilbert. Janice went to college for psychology, then became a flight attendant. She will call home and visit a handful of times throughout the year. I'm standing with binoculars, looking down Highway 13; there is no sign of our annual carnival. The kid is on his knees, his hands rummaging around in the picnic basket. Having already eaten both bags of potato chips, both peanut-butter-and-jelly sandwiches and both chocolate donuts, he locates a green apple and bites into it.

a b "What's Eating Gilbert Grape (1993) - Weekend Box Office Results". Box Office Mojo . Retrieved December 30, 2008. Persall, Steve (December 30, 1994). "Fiction': The art of filmmaking". St. Petersburg Times (Cityed.). p.8. A violent surfacing of adolescence (which has little in common with Tarkington's earlier, broadly comic, Seventeen) has a compulsive impact.From a passage in the book where Momma is talking to Gilbert about motherhood/creastion: "I see you and I know that I'm a god. Or a goddess. Godlike! And this house is my kingdom. Yes, Gilbert. This chair is my throne. And you, Gilbert, are my knight in shimmering armor."..."Shining, I think, Momma, is what you mean."..."No, I know what I mean. You don't shine, Gilbert. You shimmer. You hear?. You shimmer!" In the book, Arnie was also getting chubby whereas DiCaprio is skinny. Aside from that, there weren’t really any other differences to his character that I can think of. There are scenes that changed, but the character himself stays true to how he was in the book. Since I don't believe in wearing a watch, I can't tell the exact time -- but this moment, the one when my goofy brother rips the bandage off my heart, is followed by a yelp. Arnie's yelp. He points east, and with the binoculars I locate a tiny dot moving our way. Several dots follow. I had seen this movie before, but it was like 15 years ago. Even so, I had a fairly clear memory of what it was about. So, I did go into the book knowing what would happen (assuming the book and movie were similar). This movie is most well known for DiCaprio’s performance as Arnie Grape, as well as Darlene Cates who plays Momma.

What's Eating Gilbert Grape is a 1993 American coming-of-age drama film directed by Lasse Hallström, and starring Johnny Depp, Leonardo DiCaprio, Juliette Lewis and Darlene Cates. It follows 25-year-old Gilbert (Depp), a grocery store clerk caring for his morbidly obese mother (Cates) and his intellectually disabled younger brother Arnie (DiCaprio) in a fictional town in Iowa named Endora. Peter Hedges wrote the screenplay, based on his 1991 novel of the same name. Filming took place from November 1992 to January 1993 in various parts of Texas. In the first chapter, Arnie Grape tells Gilbert, "You're getting littler and littler. You're shrinking." "Stupid people sometimes say the smartest things," Gilbert reflects. With this exchange, what themes does Peter Hedges begin to develop in his novel? How is Gilbert shrinking?

Preview Book

Elliott, David (December 25, 1994). "On the big screen, color it a satisfying time". The San Diego Union-Tribune (1, 2ed.). p.E=8.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment