276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Emotionally Healthy Spirituality

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Near the end of the book, he encourages the practice of two specific disciplines--the daily office and the Sabbath--to grow in our understanding of God and understanding of self. Attention to God and delighting in his creation are essential practices that we too often hurry past. I would have preferred the title “know God that you may know yourself” since Scazzero does state that “awareness of yourself and your relationship with God are intricately related.” In his description of the contemplative tradition and practices, it strikes me as thoroughly odd that we are only given practical examples of this practice from the lives of monks and the likes of Mother Theresa. Why is this? Did the apostles not prescribe such a practice? Or did they demonstrate this in their life work? The practice of monasticism is simply not prescribed in Scripture. In this book Scazzero outlines his journey and the signs of emotionally unhealthy spirituality. Then he provides seven biblical, reality-tested ways to break through to the revolutionary life Christ meant for you. Peter Scazzero learned the hard way: you can't be spiritually mature while remaining emotionally immature. Even though he was the pastor of a growing church, he did what most people do:

We have to learn to recognize whether our feelings are fleshly desires coming from the enemy or God prodding us to a better choice. In this revised bestselling book, Peter Scazzero outlines a roadmap for discipleship with Jesus that is powerfully transformative. He unveils what's wrong with our current definition of "spiritual growth" and offers not only a model of spirituality that actually works, but seven steps to change that will help you experience authentic faith and hunger for God. It requires honesty and self-reflection to identify areas where you may be struggling with emotional immaturity. Embracing Emotional Health Your emotions can have a profound impact on your spiritual journey, and your spirituality can help you manage your emotions in a healthy way. Developing a balanced, harmonious rhythm of life that enables us to be aware of the sacred in all of lifeRemember that emotional health is not just about feeling good, but also about being able to handle difficult emotions and situations in a healthy way. I can't really say I was super entertained by this one, although I got a lot out of it. I definitely think I had some breakthroughs in reading it and learned some things about myself, but, I don't know. It's a book about feelings. Feelings are not my favorite thing to explore, which is probably why I need therapy in the first place. Sabbath provides for us now an additional rhythm for an entire reorientation of our lives around the living God. On Sabbaths we imitate God by stopping our work and resting. (163)

Keeping the Sabbath in Scripture is a commandment—right next to refraining from lying, murdering, and committing adultery. Sabbath is a gift from God we are invited to receive. (163) Becoming a pastor was the worst decision I ever made.” This was Peter Scazzero’s cry to God. And to say the least, it grabbed my attention. The reason why is not only because I know pastors and ministry leaders who have prayed this kind of lament, but also because I have voiced this kind of lament to God myself. So where do we turn? Well, for Scazzero, it led him on a journey of self-reflection in which he realized that his life with God and others was a mile-wide and an inch-deep. “I discovered that the problem wasn’t the Christian faith itself,” he writes, “but rather the way we had been discipled and were making disciples” (xv).it's evident from the book's beginning - there's a cavernous imbalance between quoting mystics, saints, pastors and quoting the Bible - and the final tally is not in the Apostle Paul's favor. beyond this, the 'must pay for the workbook' scheme is a little too money/bestselling author-y for my taste.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment