276°
Posted 20 hours ago

The Slob

£5.335£10.67Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Can I give this piece of fiction a fair go? Can I get past the fact that a sequel is never as good as the original? Can I judge it on merit as a stand-alone book? Can I remember to get hemorrhoid cream and toilet paper tomorrow? It's that special day. The day when everything's supposed to be perfect. The day when everyone is supposed to drink too much and party like it's nineteen-ninety-nine. A day when family and friends show their support for the beginning of a beautiful bond. All in all, Beauregard delivers us a sequel that definitely will surpass reader expectations, a painful, yet all too realistic end. Throughout the story, this messy house with all the trash and dirt, will create an atmosphere so heavy it will become like another character to most readers. The picture you create in your mind will probably disgust you way before you get to the really disgusting stuff that happens as the story progresses.

Aron Beauregard | Goodreads Playground by Aron Beauregard | Goodreads

This is gross. Vile. Upsetting. Graphic. Depressing. Nauseating. Tragic. Insert 57 other disturbing adjectives here. What follows was...deeply disturbing, but also so over-the-top that it made me laugh in places. (Then I felt bad for laughing.) The Slob has received critical praise and as a result, has been nominated for the 2021 Splatterpunk Awards! Heya, I just wanted to clear something up to possibly help in understanding, this book isn’t in the horror genre. This actually falls under the genre of “splatterpunk” which is just a lot of gore and violence. It isn’t for everyone of course cause it is disturbing for a lot of people, I personally enjoy it a lot because I’m just jaded as a person tbh, but I do want to let you know as well, the slob isn’t the only book that’s splatterpunk, however the slob is the only one that’s actually kind of well known about for a reason. And that reason is that it’s just the tip of the iceberg for this genre. It typically gets far worse than this, the videos and movies especially. The slob and splatterpunk genre again, isn’t for the faint of heart to say the least. But I hope this clears up some misunderstanding, that this isn’t horror nor is it intended to be In the horror genre.

After thoroughly enjoying Aron's 'The Slob,' but being slightly unsure and sceptical regarding the title and continuation of the sequel 'Son of The Slob,' I went into this read feeling a certain amount of trepidation, being very uncertain about what to expect as wanting to avoid any watering down of the wonderful original with perhaps a ridiculous, second-rate storyline that didn't give the first book of the series the justice it deserved. However, I am delighted to report that, from the very outset, these concerns were proven to be totally unfounded. What a first-rate treat, totally awesome...and I genuinely, genuinely absolutely 'LOVED IT!!' This one comes up in my horror circles so often that I keep thinking ‘hmm maybe I should read it just so I can say I did.’ Thank you for helping me reign that curiosity in lol. In my review, I mentioned that it will be the story which sets the bar for extreme stories from then on.

The Slob by Aron Beauregard : r/horrorlit - Reddit The Slob by Aron Beauregard : r/horrorlit - Reddit

And you would rightly say, that nobody is forcing me to read about it. But I like to read splatterpunk stories. Unfortunately for me, sloppy poo stories are trendy nowadays. So I have to endure my discomfort. This time it was worth it. As I sit here trying to cleanse my mind after reading this, I simply wonder....how on mother earth is someone able to write this and not be truly horrified by the thoughts in their head! Holy hell in a hand basket!I didn't think it would be possible, but Aron Beauregard's Son of the Slob is more SPLATTERPUNK than The Slob.😜 Vera, Daniel and Harold live in filthy, disgusting, rat infested, grime-filled conditions but, whilst Vera is doing her best to keep the family afloat Daniel, her disabled and troubled husband, is struggling to the point of going under. Then, there is 7 year old Harold - 'Son of Slob', the podgy, overgrown freaky kid that provides the ultimate challenge for his downtrodden, despairing parents. Far from being a normal young boy, Harold has very special needs and exhibits such alarming, disturbing behaviour that professional help is now most urgently required before matters degenerate to even lower levels of depravity and to such an uncontrollable and unmanageable situation, which bottoms out to truly horrific and horrendous proportions, that matters cannot be rectified.

The Slob by Aron Beauregard | Goodreads

Beauregard has tapped into the psychology of his main characters and he writes it well, because he makes it believable. Right from the start of this story, something popped out at me – this is probably much closer to the truth than the Hollywood fluff would like you to believe. SOME STAINS DON'T COME OUT... Raised in a household that was so filthy it was stomach spilling, Vera has become a neat-freak. Her obsession with cleanliness sprouts the concept that her skills can be put to use in a unique way. In an effort to generate some income for her and her disabled husband Daniel just prior to the birth of their first child, she takes aim at the booming door to door sales business of the late 80s. I finally did it. I finally found something that made me want to cry and puke at the same time. This book is extremely brutal and there are so many trigger warnings. Also, don’t eat while reading it. It won’t end well. That was a mistake, though, because I became overly critical when I compared other stories to it – even stories by Beauregard himself. So, scratch that thought, just remember it sits at the top of my imaginary mantel for the genre. This book will hurt you. This book will tap into your deepest fear and all the things you dread. You will open yourself up to it and it will take that opportunity to break your heart and leave you without second thought. You’ll love this book, and miss it when it’s over.I’ve tried my best to be as spoiler free as I can, because I don’t want a single thing spoiled for someone reading it for the first time Aron Beauregard has written an excellent sequel to The Slob. I highly recommend it to splatterpunk readers. THE SLOB opens with a kidnapped woman suffering trauma so we know, upfront, what we’re getting into. Hello! I read a lot of extreme horror, so I doubt I’m a prude or a pussy. I just really hated The Slob. Not even from a plot point of view, just in terms of writing. Aron Beauregard’s writing is incredibly, mind-numbingly, tearing-your-hair-out-to-feel-something-ly boring. It’s also hideously misogynistic, as well as homophobic, but if you at least skim-read the review above you’d know that. You know when you can just tell something is done wrong because you’ve seen it done right before? This book is a great example of that. Read something decent. Even Twilight would be better than this. I’ve read quite a lot of disturbing novels in my time, and very few can compare to Aron Beauregard’s work in terms of cliched, low-quality writing.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment