276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Copper Slug and Snail Rings 10cm pack of 6

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

I have had a respectable amount of success in slug deterrence using copper mesh as a slug barrier on the outside of wood planters. The mesh is about 5″ wide, which is wider than any of the copper tapes I have seen for sale, and it’s easier to work with compared to the super delicate copper tape I tried, the tape I tried, and it’s easy enough to reuse (although not adhesive on it’s own) If I go out at night I will usually see 2-3 slugs oozing circles around the bottom of the barrier but not crossing it. I have seen a slug or two successfully cross it, but it’s rare. If I had to guess I would say I get about 1/20th -1/200th the slug prevalence I used to previously high slug traffic areas I have since “protected”. (tough to say because I am too lazy to count, and I can’t tell how many slugs crossed the barrier vs just live on the other side) Copper with +2 ions carries a charge that interferes with a mollusc’s slime, which they don’t like and thus avoid. www.botanical garden.ubc.ca Slug Rings are the original patented copper rings - designed and manufactured by gardeners for gardeners.

RHS project team Hayley Jones, Emma Griffith and Gerard Clover Start date 01/02/2018 00:00:00 End date 27/09/2018 00:00:00 Keywords In the case of the snail we have the copper, and the electrolyte in the form of slug slime.The second electrode is missing. Also missing is the connection between the two electrodes which allows the current to flow. I don’t believe that putting slime onto copper will produce an electric charge. Does Copper Repel Slugs? The experiment was carried out at the Field Research Facility at RHS Wisley. The plant used in the experiment was a gastropod favourite, lettuce, and the experimentassessed the effectiveness of the following gastropod barriers and repellents:

Product Videos

These quality copper rings have a rolled top edge for easily handling, are easy to clip together to form a reliable barrier and will last for years slowly weathering to a dull finish, but remaining just as effective. Press the slug ring into the soil around the plant. Make sure the rings are scrunched into the soil a little way with no gaps underneath for a slug to sneak through. Wet the soil first if it is too hard. Other popular methods for getting rid of slugs include coffee grounds, and beer. For more information on these methods have a look at:

Jeff Gillman, one of the Garden Professors, commented “When I’ve tested copper the slugs seemed to have a slight preference for not crossing it, but would if that was what they need to do to get where they were going. I’d call it a mild repellant” . I think this is a good summary. Slugs will not go out of their way to cross copper in tape form, but it is not a fool proof solution. Each week for six weeks the plants wereassessed and given a damage score based on visual assessment, and the number of damaged leaves counted. At the end of this period the lettuces wereharvested and the damage assessed in detail using a Leaf Area Meter which measuredthe area of damaged and undamaged leaf. Finally, the leaves were dried so dry mass could be recorded as a measure of yield. AimsMy criticism of your comments on ‘Electrical current’ as it related to the use of copper is that it represented a deductive approach not an empirical one. Things often fail or succeed for reasons other than we anticipate. There is no substitute for testing. When applying, ensure that the area is free from slugs and that no leaves are touching the surrounding soil By testing a range of barriers in both pots and on the ground, this study contributedsignificantly to the literature surrounding gastropod control and enabled the RHS to update the advice it gives to home gardeners regarding which products and substances are effective. Benefits to gardeners

Regardless of exactly why it works, I would recommend copper mesh to anyone with a slug problem amenable to a physical barrier who isn’t too concerned about the aesthetics. All barriers were applied either according to manufacturers’ instructions or as the consensus of gardening knowledge dictated. The substances weregenerally applied in a continuous ring around the plant (inside of the rim of the pot and in an equivalent circle on the plants in the ground). The copper wasapplied as a foil tape to the outside of the pots, and copper collars wereplaced around the plants in the ground. Copper pennies and wire do not seem to work. Most products on the market are a type of copper foil or copper tape so this might work better and in fact some people suggest that a wider strip is better than a narrow strip. Slug Rings are guaranteed to last a lifetime. They can be used over and over again, season after season. They come in two sizes: small (approximately 4 inch/10cm diameter) for single stem plants and seedlings, and large (approximately 7 inch/17cm diameter) for plants like delphiniums, lettuces and lupins. They’re super easy to fit, and you can make larger rings for plants like hostas by joining two together.

Delivery

I’ve tested solid copper rings which I made from some spare copper roofing strip. Did it work? Yes and No; the difference is oxidation. You may be correct. As I said I am not a chemist. Although I’m not sure that ‘Conducting current’ is the same as ‘exchanging an electrical charge’. But who really cares. The issue is whether or not it works and if so, under what conditions.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment