276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Diary Of A Chav: 1: Trainers v Tiaras: Book 1

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Dent began writing for The Guardian in 1999. She wrote "World of Lather", celebrating her love of Coronation Street and other soap operas, for the Guardian 's Guide supplement from 2001 to 2010. [1] From 2010 to 2012, she wrote "Grace Dent's TV-OD". [4] In 2012, she signed a joint deal with The Independent and the London Evening Standard. She became the restaurant critic of The Guardian in January 2018. [5] In November 2017, Dent won "Reviewer of the Year" at the London Restaurant Festival. [6] Despite what you would initially think, Shiraz is very smart. And unfortunately it isn’t something that her environment encourages. Her mother seems to think that a rich husband is the way that Shiraz needs to go. Which is very sad. But while reading the novel you’ll soon learn that Shiraz is not the type of girl to settle down with a rich husband, she has a mind of her own. She has typical teenage problems. Figuring what to do with your life, working through friendships, problems with boys, it’s all in there and humorously done. She has appeared on many British television shows such as Very British Problems ( Channel 4), Pointless Celebrities, The Apprentice: You're Fired, Have I Got News For You ( BBC1), The Now Show ( Radio 4), The Review Show ( BBC Two), Film 2012 (BBC1), The Culture Show (BBC2), Charlie Brooker's Screenwipe ( BBC4), Alan Davies: As Yet Untitled ( Dave), and Richard Osman's House of Games (BBC2). Grace Dent (born 3 October 1973) is an English columnist, broadcaster and author. She is a restaurant critic for The Guardian and from 2011 to 2017 wrote a restaurant column for the Evening Standard. She is a regular critic on the BBC's MasterChef UK and has appeared on Channel 4's television series Very British Problems. Shiraz Bailey Wood, the main character, is the Kylie Mole of the C21st, Brit version. Assuming 'chav' is Britspeak for 'bogan', just as the aforementioned Aussie comedic icon magnified and lampooned the teenage culture of the western suburbs (Melbourne and Sydney - or my own Hobart's northern), Grace Dent does the same for Greater London.

Lccn 2008016766 Ocr_converted abbyy-to-hocr 1.1.20 Ocr_module_version 0.0.17 Openlibrary OL16924911M Openlibrary_edition There is much to enjoy in this exaggerated (one can only hope) version of how life is seen through the eyes of Shiraz and her mates, most of whom are similarly and wonderfully labelled. Through all the chaos of their outwardly dysfunctional families and relationships, love in the end shines through - particularly after Shiraz hilariously achieves one of her seemingly unreachable ambitions. But as a YA novel it just doesn't do it. I almost felt like Dent tried too hard to be YA. It almost sounded like she was trying to emulate The Princess Diaries. In fact, there's a Princess Diaries reference in the book. It's just that Dent isn't Meg Cabot. And in ironic way I'm not peeved about it like I should be. It's annoying, but as vapid as these characters are it sort of suits them. Even though most of the characters are ‘chavs’, they are still going through the same emotions as everyone else at a teenage age. First loves, what to do at school, what to do after school, whether your big hoop earrings go with your Nike hoodie and high tops. All the important things!For more adventures of Shiraz, look for POSH AND PREJUDICE (SLING THE BLING in Great Britain) due out in June 2009. For those of you that absolutely can not wait, you can get your hands on this and more in the series from Great Britain.

The diary format has been used before, that's nothing new. We've seen it THE PRINCESS DIARIES, BRIDGET JONES'S DIARY, and the Louise Rennison novels. But what makes DIARY OF A CHAV stand out is the unique way Ms. Dent has Shiraz tell her story. Whether you’re a fully grown adult now, or a teenager, these books will not disappoint. As well as the books being silly and funny, they also portray resilience and going against the status quo. Just because Uma’s brother Clinton is in prison for a drive by shooting and having drugs and her staffy dog terrorises all her neighbours, she still managed her A Levels. Heartwarming, right? After graduation from Stirling University, Dent's first job was editorial assistant for Marie Claire magazine in London. [2] I may not have understood everything she was saying (thankfully there was an English dictionary for all the American cousins) but the girl is bloody brilliant!urn:oclc:421133420 Scandate 20111128194715 Scanner scribe1.indiana.archive.org Scanningcenter indiana Source

Fangita-eater: (n.) this is a pretty, erm, rude word for a girl who things other girls are hot and doesn't fancy boys. Second, this book did not get interesting until close to the end. The only reason I actually didn't just stop and not finish it was because I was bored on my vacation and had nothing else to do. It drags horribly all the way through the beginning and the middle. While dealing with school, Shiraz also has troubles at home to deal with. Her mom and older sister are at odds and, to solve the problem, Shiraz writes to a Jerry Springer type show for help. Airing their dirty laundry on TV doesn't turn out the way Shiraz expects it to.Another thing I liked about this book was that it wasn't romance heavy. Admittedly I like me some man candy in YA, but if the romance in this book would've been fully formed I think it would've been detrimental to the book. Shiraz, for one thing, was way too emotionally immature to have a relationship. And the guy she's crushing over really isn't worth much. An Interview with Grace Dent, author of LBD: It's a Girl Thing". Penguin Books. Archived from the original on 14 June 2009 . Retrieved 22 August 2008.

Diva without a Cause, formerly inaccurately titled Diary of a Chav, is told in sometimes funny diary entries form the perspective of a working class British teen. As an American reader, I was somewhat confused by the unfamiliar British slang and put off by the poor grammar, although I assume the lingo is part of “keeping it real.” That seems to be a big part of Shiraz’s mentality, but unfortunately, that was one of the only real desires I could pinpoint for her character, and getting to the bottom of the “real” Shiraz was an entirely difficult task. Despite diary entries being traditionally deposits for someone’s most innermost thoughts, I rarely felt like I was inside Shiraz’s private life. The majority of the time, I felt like I was listening to an overdramatic gossiper, which did more to annoy me than maintain my interest. Poor characters aside, I did enjoy this unusual portrayal of working class culture because even if I don’t agree with all of their values, as displayed primarily by Shiraz’s mother, I recognize them as authentic and universal, not just localized in London. At the same time, though, I was kind of disappointed there was no real statement made about these ideas, unless they speak for themselves; for example, Shiraz’s mom think the way to live a comfortable life is to marry a rich man, not to get an education and a good job, and while Shiraz does seem to want to continue with her schooling, nothing further is said on the matter. The feminist within me is disgusted and Shiraz’s own sister’s feminist opinions to nothing to negate that. I really don’t know what Dent was trying to accomplish with this novel, as the theme of rising above one’s situation is rather feeble within this novel. I’m quite disappointed, because I was looking for a fast, fun read that Diva without a Cause didn’t live up to. Diary of a Chav is a young adult series that was written by the English journalist, author, and broadcaster Grace Dent. The series consists of six books that were originally released in the United Kingdom from 2007 to 2009. An attempt to publish the books overseas in the United States was largely unsuccessful and only the first two books, re-titled for American publication, were released. chav because she may be poor but she's not trashy, but she can't do much about it-yet. Shiraz is beginning to feel there's a lot more to life than minimum wage and the bling of a souped-up Vauxhall Nova. Since 2016, Dent has presented The Untold on BBC Radio 4. The series has been nominated twice for ARIA awards.But even though I hated her, she works as a character. Because there was something relatable about her as awful as she was. Maybe it's because I've seen and dealt with kids that are like her. Maybe it's because I felt sorry for her growing up with her crazy mother. But as annoying as she was, I was able to tolerate her unlike other characters. urn:lcp:diaryofchavnovel00dent:epub:5252c32d-7a81-4e51-b3e7-fe6a02fdcbb4 Extramarc University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign (PZ) Foldoutcount 0 Identifier diaryofchavnovel00dent Identifier-ark ark:/13960/t3pv7hg50 Isbn 9780316034838 First things first: Ms. Dent captures the Chav dialect and cadence (to this American reader, at least) while still making it readable. That alone is a huge accomplishment. It might be the strongest part of the book. Diva without a Cause is enjoyable enough and may be liked by fans of the more gritty Ballads of Suburbia by Stephanie Kuehnert and The Brothers Torres by Coert Voorhees. I only reluctantly look forward to this novel’s sequel Posh and Prejudice because the continuation of Shiraz’s story actually has potential.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment