276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Suntory Hakushu 18 Years Old Single Malt Whisky 70 cl

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Without prejudice to the section Liability below, the Service may be temporarily unavailable during maintenance, updates, etc. We shall make reasonable efforts to inform you of any unavailability due to maintenance or updates. If we decide not to exercise or enforce any right or provision of these Terms, such decision shall not constitute a waiver of such right or provision. From Suntory's Hakushu distillery and part of the Tsuriwake selection, the Spanish Oak 2021 Edition sees the acclaimed single malt Japanese whisky matured in Spanish oak casks, no less.

Suntory Hakushu 18 Years Old Single Malt Whisky 70 cl Suntory Hakushu 18 Years Old Single Malt Whisky 70 cl

In 1929, Torii hired Masataka Taketsuru to create the world’s first Japanese whisky. They got it wrong. The expression, called Suntory Shirofuda, tasted too much like Scotch — too peaty, too powerful. Torii realized the Japanese palate didn’t want ultra-smokey peat bombs; it wanted finesse. So they made what has since become the most popular whisky Japan: Suntory Kakubin. It’s light, punchy and floral, the baseline for all Japanese whiskies to come. We may, but are not under any obligation, to release new functionalities and tools or other features for the Service every now and then. Any new functionalities, tools and features shall be part of and governed by the Terms from the moment they are launched and/or available. Further, we reserve the right to modify, change, discontinue the Service, add or remove features, update the Service, change its appearance, temporarily and permanently, at any time, in whole or any part thereof.

On the nose, ripe green apple, sage and licorice abound. It’s bright and ever-so-slightly spicy. It’s undoubtedly smoky, but in a comparatively subtle way: it’s not a massive smoke bomb, nor does it hide the peat away. It actually reminds me a bit of tarte flambée, thanks to its funky, meaty and sweet notes.

The Hakushu 18 Year Old Single Malt Whisky - Caskers The Hakushu 18 Year Old Single Malt Whisky - Caskers

Suntory was founded in 1923 by Shinjiro Torii who started making whisky at the Yamazaki distillery, located on the periphery of Kyoto in Japan. The most popular Japanese single malt in the world was also the first. Yamazaki 12 is primarily made up of whisky aged in American oak and ex-bourbon casks, with trace amounts of whisky coming from Olorosso or Mizunara casks. For Westerners, this lends it a slightly more familiar flavor — at least initially. What follows are the rich, standard markers for Japanese whisky: delicate fruit, light spice and a long, sherry-driven finish. The bottle design for Yamazaki 12 pays tribute to its production facility, which is the oldest malt distillery in Japan. The illustration features the distillery in deep copper tones from a low angle, looking up. Those flavours then build to a pleasantly woody and natural finish, with characteristic sandalwood, dried coconut and clove. A surprisingly sharp sweetness rounds things off: it reminds me of konpeitō, Japanese sugar candies. Our Service is an online platform which provides Members with information (e.g. bottle facts, market-indices, market values and prices) on (mostly) whisky and allows Members to add information to the platform. We do not sell, nor does the Service provide any option to buy, any alcoholic products.

Not overly complex, but he brings what he brings on a high level. The nose I think is wonderful, reminds me of the football field of my youth. I may have been influenced by my decision, but not only for me was the best of the tasted Japanese (besides Hakushu 18 also Hibiki 17 and Yamazaki 18) Yamazaki 18 Year Old Mizunara was blended for our 100-year anniversary and features a rich texture created from a long ageing process,” said fifth-generation chief blender Shinji Fukuyo. “This expresses the delicate and meticulous attention to detail that went into its craftsmanship.” Hakushu Bottler Distillery Bottling Bottling serie Single Malt Whisky Stated Age 18 years old Strength 43.0 % Vol. Size 700 ml Label 白州 Barcode 4901777228900 Added on 08 nov 2014 6:33 pm by RL_whisky On the nose, the whisky offers notes of sage, ripe green apple, and hints of ripe pineapple. The palate brings a ‘complex smoky flavour’ with layers of herbal, grapefruit and acacia honey notes, and a smoky finish with undernotes of green citrus. Hakushu 18 Year Old Peated Malt offers a ‘new angle to the world of peated malt’

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment