276°
Posted 20 hours ago

So Shall You Reap

£11£22.00Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Brunetti's pace had slowed as he thought about the similarity between this disease and Elisabetta's story. Get told what seems a simple event, and soon it's expanding out of control; understand the basic facts, until a new variant appears. Believe you've found the source, only to stumble upon new information that changes everything. Conclusions vanish, explanations fail. Stop being attentive, and the next day there are new victims. Why, oh, why can't I meet a man like you? You know, we're about the same age. You are well read in philosophy and the classics, are devoted to your beautiful wife, Paola--the daughter of a count and a professor of English literature with an emphasis on Henry James--and your teenaged children, Raffi and Chiara. You're a good man without dangerous vices, have a kind heart, adore your beloved and historic city (despite the annoying tourists, especially those Americans with their white tennis shoes), and have the citizens and safety of visitors in mind as you do your job. Though you are skeptical of the Church (as are many these days, Italian and non-Italian alike), you treat everyone with respect and kindness, including your co-workers (Signorina Elettra, Claudia Griffoni--though she is from Naples--Lorenzo Vianello, and even your pompous boss Patta and that worm of a lieutenant, Scarpa). I hope to visit Venice someday and wonder, are there other men like you in this world?

In between times, the author goes off on tangents about long past terrorist acts in Italy, but most of the time spends paragraphs having the characters justify what they think and say. En sus novelas, Leon otorga una importancia capital al trasfondo politico, social o cultural de una ciudad, Venecia, que retrata con habilidad de forma vívida, permitiendo al lector descubrirla a través de los ojos de aquellos que viven allí. Una de las grandes bazas de la serie es el análisis en profundidad que realiza de la sociedad veneciana, desde su geografía hasta su cultura, a la vez que hace un íntimo retrato de la vida personal de Brunetti, a quien en esta ocasión conoceremos algo más gracias a esa incursión en sus años de juventud. La autora tiene un gran habilidad a la hora de crear personajes complejos que cobran vida en sus páginas con aparente sencillez. I’m in awe of their parenting skills, and I would happily sit down to any meal at their dining table.Gracias a su prosa descriptiva, Leon captura con pasmosa facilidad el pulso y el ritmo de Venecia, pero no de la Venecia atestada por hordas de turistas, si no de la Venecia real, la de aquellos que viven allí, siendo los momentos más memorables esos pequeños detalles del día a día, esas interacciones en apariencia irrelevantes, pero que permiten crear una atmósfera de un lugar que, aunque no cambia en su superficie, bajo esta se encuentra en continuo cambio.

El misterio sirve de excusa para echar un vistazo a la historia política reciente de Italia, desde una perspectiva más personal, mostrando el idealismo de la juventud y la naturaleza problemática inherente al mismo. Filosofía, política, historia o justicia, son temas recurrentes en sus obras, mostrando una gran perspicacia a la hora entrar en la psique humana, en las motivaciones, pensamientos o sentimientos de sus personajes. El misterio se presenta como un elemento con múltiples capas en el que la satisfacción final viene dada no solo porque se resuelve el caso, si no por la forma en que se ha resuelto.And now, here she is, with her 32nd book (her latest) showcasing Commissario Guido Brunetti, as always. I did finish the book, with a little skimming, but I found it a disappointent. It’s not bad, but it’s not that great either, I’m afraid. There’s no denying that Donna Leon’s Commissario Guido Brunetti mysteries_ Are well written in a manner that eliminates the extraneous without becoming showily stoic.” —Charles Taylor, Bloomberg

At one stage I just thought that some of the writing was a little poor compared to the other books in the series. In this volume, as in all the other volumes in this excellent series, I learned something more about Venetian culture and what it is to live in Venice. It's potentially an interesting story based on not a legal crime, but a moral and ethical one. And one of the victims offers up a hard-hitting portrait of a family dealing with the consequences of dementia that is as emotionally powerful as Leon has ever been.

Retailers:

Was Give Unto Others a bad book? Not at all, but when you’ve read the whole series, it’s just not on the same level as some of the early titles. Although not my favorite, I will definitely keep reading the series. Donna Leon discussed Give Unto Others in a March 12, 2022 online interview with the Poisoned Pen Bookstore which you can watch on YouTube here. The book is mis-titled in the video description as Give Unto Death. Si buscáis acción trepidante o una investigación policial al uso, no lo vais a encontrar aquí. Esta no es una historia para devorar, si no para saborear lentamente (como si de uno de los deliciosos platos preparados por Paola se tratase): sus palabras, sus cafés, sus calles. Venecia y Brunetti, una vez más, no decepcionan. When reading a Brunetti novel, you expect to get more than just the story with which to immerse yourself. There are the sights, sounds and foods of Venice and the surrounding area. There is also Brunetti’s family: his wife Paola, an academic, and their two college-age children. One night at dinner, Chiara asks for her father’s help with an assignment --- they are to choose their favorite Greek play and scene. For Brunetti, it’s “Oresteia” and Clytemnestra’s first speech. When she asks why, he says, “Because she is so much stronger than I am.”

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment