276°
Posted 20 hours ago

A Sky Painted Gold - a gloriously sun-drenched coming-of-age story for fans of THE GREAT GATSBY

£3.995£7.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

The romance and 30s slang (lots of "oh this is most wonderful!" And "im in an absolute muddle!") were very twee. (The fact that it was set in the 30s also didnt really seem to have any other effect on the story or characters or aesthetic of the book... but maybe it played a bigger role in A Sky Painted Gold) Everyone believes that Salil Singh killed his girlfriend, Andrea Bell, five years ago—except Pippa Fitz-Amobi. I absolutely loved this story. Beautifully described, I was drawn to the world created with its heady summer celebrations, the hint of love and the potential heartbreak. With a wonderful cast of characters and a story line that spans an array of relationships, you felt every moment and every dance! I loved Lou’s relationship with her family; her desire to be a writer and the love at the heart of this novel. Echoes of Gatsby run throughout and the picture created of summertime in the 1920s is gorgeous. The perfect summer read, A Sky Painted Gold will light up your bookshelf!

Book Review and Interview | A Sky Painted Gold by Laura Wood Book Review and Interview | A Sky Painted Gold by Laura Wood

The lush Tuscan setting was expertly combined with a dazzling cast of characters (I’m a bit in love with Ursula), and the history included here and there about the rise of Mussolini and fascism was really interesting. Also I’m really happy Wood always adds a bit of LGBTQ rep to her novels - there’s an older secondary f/f couple featured, and one of the central cast is bisexual! Laura Wood’s first young adult book is a three-star read for me. This book is a good summer read, and I encourage you to read it this time of the year. We all know that I love an English setting, so this one did it for me in that regard! I don’t think that I have read a book, other than The Great Gatsby, that is set in the 1920s, I think it is an interesting time period and I don’t know much about what was happening in England at this time. The parties in this book were very atmospheric, I wish that I could witness something so grand! Literary pursuits weren’t always easy in a busy, noisy household, but Loufound sanctuary in the house and grounds of the Cardew family. They seemed to have abandoned their Cornish home, and so she told herself she was doing no real harm by eating their apples that fell from their trees, reading books from their library, and even lighting a small fire to warm her on cold days. The book follows Lou, a Cornish girl who has never known anything other than the small community she’s grown up in. When the summer of 1929 rolls in, Lou gets caught up in the lives of the Cardew siblings, who aren’t strangers to the glitz and glamour of parties not unlike those seen in The Great Gatsby. It’s about coming of age, discovering who you are, and finding out exactly what it is you want in life.

Become a Member

One thing I expected, I also got and loved: beautifully descriptive writing. That is one thing I adore in books and I guess it's one of those things a historical book needs in my opinion? A Sky Painted Gold was a joy from start to finish and exactly what I needed after seven agonising weeks in the worst reading slump I’ve ever been in. It’s snowing again," I murmur, dazed. Flat flakes drift in drowsy curlicues to settle in Kit’s hair, on his dark wool coat, to melt against my warm cheeks. In the early evening light, the world around us is fairy-touched, shining silver." I could very happily read only Laura Wood novels for the rest of my life. Sure, it would only launch me further into my hopeless romantic nature, and let's say nothing about how you're meant to read at your reading level (which I would probably say would not include this book) but the sentiment is there. This book is just so warm and indulgent and full of happiness. Yes, Freya's pride is often frustrating but Wood sets up the denouement so perfectly in that way. Her words are pure magic and I want to read everything she's written all of the time. (also reading this having now read The Importance of Being Earnest makes it a bit more special than it already was). I loved seeing morally grey characters. It can be easy to fault everything a bad character does, but Iris had enough empathy to recognize why those characters did certain things.

A Sky Painted Gold by Laura Wood: 9780593127254

My other thing: I think Nicholas should have given some reason for why he didn't tell Iris something sooner. I get that he was already working to fix the situation, but in the meantime it was something that could have put Iris or other people in danger if they had no idea. Wood evidently strives to emulate Shakespeare’s acerbic wit. Her writing is appropriately cheeky and wryly observed. The side effect is that it sometimes strays instead into the obnoxious. This one is too cringey to be indulgent - and that’s why Under a Dancing Star made me gag a little. With this one, I don’t think I need to do a lot of explaining. This is the graphic novel for episodes I-III of the Star Wars Saga. Unpopular opinion but I love the prequels, they are my favorite movies in the whole series. It’s early evening and it’s starting to get dark now. The lights strung above us in a looping zigzag shine white against a royal blue sky. We’re walking further into a residential bit of the city, and the windows in the tall houses glow, warm and welcoming. Some contain glimpses of decorated trees, of brightly coloured paper chains, and jewel-like glass ornaments. [...]

Need Help?

EDIT: 1.75 stars. it just super was not for me and left a bad taste in my mouth. After this though tell me why I still wanna read this authors other book that is a Much Ado About Nothing retelling 👀 Los hermanos Cardew también me gustaron bastante, especialmente Robert, aunque los personajes secundarios no me han acabado de encantar.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment