276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Louder Than Bombs

£1.5£3Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Goddard, S, 2013. Songs That Saved Your Life - The Art of The Smiths 1982-87. 2nd ed. U.K.: Titan Books. P. 217. Erlewine, Stephen Thomas. " Louder Than Bombs – The Smiths". AllMusic . Retrieved 10 November 2011. Produced by documentary makers David Coughlan and Donal O'Herlihy, music enthusiasts and history buffs alike will be captivated by the anecdotes and perspectives shared in this unique documentary.

Smiths fans share an enormous love for Morrissey because he exposes so much of himself in his lyrics. Plus his charming and witty lyrics are hard to get out of your head. Sire released Louder Than Bombs as a cassette and double-vinyl set on 31 March 1987 (a CD edition would follow in May). It was reviewed with gusto by the US music press (Spin magazine wrote, “This well-sequenced double album collection of new recordings and single sides previously unavailable on a US LP is the ultimate Smiths statement as it compiles most of their peak moments”), whose endorsements helped the album earn a gold certification. Selected items are only available for delivery via the Royal Mail 48® service and other items are available for delivery using this service for a charge. The catalog wouldn’t have looked better—it wouldn’t have sounded better, because another reason why the Smiths sound so timeless is because some of their recordings are relatively amateur. They weren’t trying to record to the standards of the time. They weren’t trying to say, ‘What do we need to do to get on the radio? Oh, we need synthesizers and big booming reverb drums.’ So I see that the amateurness of all of this actually plays into why the Smiths lasted. Could their career have been more successful had they taken their time with albums and not made daft career decisions? Yes, but I’m not sure they would have been as exciting and I’m not sure we would have been as excited by them all these years later.” So, in the end, if you listen to this collection of songs and still don't feel what the rest of us feel, at least remember that the Moz has already told you why.But such diverse influences and personalities proved to be a difficult balance; soon there was something even greater than tension and creative differences driving the Smiths apart. Despite enjoying a rabid cult fan base in the United States and their massive popularity in the U.K., the band’s label Sire/Reprise wasn’t properly promoting the Smiths to get them onto the Billboard charts, let alone the cover of Rolling Stone. It wasn’t the first or last time Delaney served as an inspiration for the Smiths. She’d previously graced the sleeve for the band’s “Girlfriend in a Coma” 7-inch, and Morrissey used the plot to A Taste of Honey for the song “This Night Has Opened My Eyes,” which was recorded exclusively for a 1983 John Peel session, initially featured on the group’s first singles compilation Hatful of Hollow (1984), and one of the true highlights of Louder Than Bombs. As with The World Won't Listen, this compilation includes the scrapped single "You Just Haven't Earned It Yet, Baby" (passed over in favour of " Shoplifters of the World Unite"), albeit in a different, shorter mix. However, this shorter version of the song was replaced when Bombs was reissued in 2011. Additionally, the Louder Than Bombs version of "Stretch Out and Wait" is the version from the B-side of " Shakespeare's Sister", which features slightly different lyrics. Also of note is the fact that " Ask" appears on both Louder Than Bombs and The World Won't Listen in a slightly different and longer mix than its single version. the only thing as great as a Smiths album is a Smiths bsides album. Seriously, this album is filled to the max with 24 bsides that are all fantastic. That being said, here are some random thoughts of mine about the Smiths... Louder Than Bombs: The Smiths in Ireland, Nov '84 airs on RTÉ Radio 1 on Saturday 19 August at 2pm and will also be available online.

and yet, this is my most listened release. sure it's missing some of their absolute best material but as I've mentioned previously, no Smiths album is wholly complete, except for Complete, but in terms of an album format, I find that one rather... impractical, considering it's literally everything they ever wrote smashed together without reverence to cohesion, brevity, or purpose. On October 12, 1984, the IRA blew up a section of the Grand Hotel in Brighton, narrowly missing British Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher. Amidst widespread condemnation, Morrissey, lead singer of The Smiths, praised the bombers and turned the band's upcoming Irish tour into a political storm. But even in the midst of all the self-pity, "Ask" displays a positive vibe and a sincerity that is infectious and even touching. It's an invitation to all the shy, reclusive ones out there to "ask" Moz if there's anything they'd ever like to try. "I won't say no, how could I?" he says. And it goes without mentioning that the tune behind it is downright infectious.Craig Gannon – rhythm guitar on "Half a Person", "London", "Panic", "You Just Haven't Earned It Yet, Baby", "Ask" and "Golden Lights", lead guitar on outro of "London", [14] mandolin on "Golden Lights" [15] Christgau, Robert (23 February 1988). "Christgau's Consumer Guide". The Village Voice . Retrieved 23 December 2015. British album certifications – The Smiths – Louder Than Bombs". British Phonographic Industry . Retrieved 27 March 2019. I can’t see any reason why we do not deserve to be there…not one solitary reason. So many people seem content with the monotonous faces that dominate the entire spectrum of popular music. They’re content with Billy Joel. Nobody questions Billy Joel. Nobody quizzes people like Iron Maiden. When groups come along that possess a certain amount of brain, people do probe and say ‘why this and why that’? They’re so used to this structured language, a kind of frozen dictionary, certain terms you can use and when you take a different one it spoils things. We don’t follow any particular rule though.” There's only one clunker in The Smiths entire career and it happens to appear here, of course I'm talking about "Golden Lights."

In What If She's Prettier Than Me? documentary-maker Mary-Elaine Tynan speaks to Irish polyamorists. Goddard, S, 2013. Songs That Saved Your Life - The Art of The Smiths 1982–87. 2nd ed. U.K.: Titan Books.The cover art for Louder Than Bombs, designed by Morrissey, features British playwright Shelagh Delaney of Salford, Greater Manchester. The photograph was originally published in the Saturday Evening Post after Delaney, at the age of 19, made her literary debut with the play A Taste of Honey. The play inspired many early lyrics written by Morrissey, and the song "This Night Has Opened My Eyes" (included here) is based on the plight of the play's heroine, Jo, an unwed mother. The Documentary on One team says the season opener "takes listeners on a journey, diving into the iconic music scene of the 1980s". Cavanagh, D, 1993. Irreproachable: The Smiths: the very best of British?. Q Magazine, 1 December 1993. Call me morbid, call me pale" Morrissey sings on "Half a Person." The fact is, a lot of people do, Moz. But I don't buy that The Smiths are an ultra-depressing band. No, that title goes to Joy Division or Radiohead (both bands I love, btw) before The Smiths. Even in their greatest dispair, I can sense they're taking it all with a grain of salt and wry humour. It's a really delicate and fine balance, but they strike it well.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment