276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Kirby Manga Mania, Vol. 1: Volume 1

£4.495£8.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

The only oddity that may take some getting use to is that Kirby actually talks. And I’m not talking about his simplistic noises like “poyo” (although he does do that). He speaks in complete sentences and, while he is still a lovable kid, he acts more like a small child rather than like a baby. A Fuse #8 Production Jane Mount Makes Good Interviews: A Discussion With the Creator of Books Make Good Friends Nintendo fans will want to keep an eye out for the free manga up for grabs on Comic Book Day this year. First off, Kirby is a complete jerk, especially to King Dedede. You could argue it's revenge for the games, but taken out of context of the games, Kirby just looks like a total, unabashed [bad word or three]. The real protagonist of the Kirby strips, in a reversal of the dynamics of many of the franchise’s games, is King Dedede, the often-selfish, penguin-like anthropomorphic bird that serves as several games’ antagonist. In most of the strips, Dedede is more-or-less minding his own business as he was in the initial one with the picnic—perhaps he’s readying his castle for an upcoming typhoon, or playing with his toy robot pet—when Kirby enters the picture, generally causing huge problems for Dedede. Kirby generally seems to do so not necessarily out of malice, but instead out of a combination of ignorance and a readiness for instantaneous action, which, given Kirby’s inhaling powers, generally has big ramifications.

Kirby Manga Mania, Vol. 5 by Hirokazu Hikawa, Paperback Kirby Manga Mania, Vol. 5 by Hirokazu Hikawa, Paperback

As the volume continues, it settles into a familiar rhythm. This Kirby is a mischievous elementary schooler, like the ones who read his stories while they were being published. He thinks he knows what’s going on. He thinks he knows what to do. He really knows neither. Kirby uses his immense power and endless copy abilities to act upon his desires until everything is destroyed or restored and the poyo boyo reveals himself to be the goodhearted innocent we all know him to be. King Dedede is pulverized to oblivion throughout. Repeat. The manga is not considered to be canon to the Kirby games or anime. While it draws from the premises introduced in the games, it introduces new characters, events, places, and Copy Abilities and Mix abilities never seen in other Kirby media. Furthermore, it has a far more zany, nonsensical and irreverent tone, with most characters given very different, exaggerated personalities and traits. Chapter 1: Kirby crashes a picnic party that he wasn't invited to while drunk on sake. Wut. It doesn't get better after that. Kirby isn't really the cute, loveable pink puff that he is in the games - he's kind of the ass of all of the chapters, for the most part: he causes all the problems and makes everybody uncomfortable. I found very few moments of this enjoyable. I don't read manga, so this genre is all new to me (my students like manga, so I figured I'd give a few titles a go based on my interests), but Kirby is supposed to be a kid-friendly franchise, and IDK how this got past Nintendo and HAL Labratory for approval. I wouldn't want to give this to any of my friends' kids or my niece or nephew.Huh? Did Kirby just display a command over the English language? Hikawa you madlad, what have you done? Kirby Manga Mania Volume 1 Review". But Why Tho? A Geek Community. 2021-06-08 . Retrieved 2021-09-25. Mario and the internet have diverged where Kirby and his fans have converged in recent years. The fun of messing with Mario is the incongruence of the parody and the icon whose only updates to the times seem to be the detail of the hair on his smooth, vacant face. He is the butt of the joke. Just this past week, Kirby got thrown into a volcano in a Smash Bros trailer, fans returned the favor by turning the tables, and this all feels consistent with the overall concept of the Kirby. You don’t need any further rebuttal or explanation. Kirby contains multitudes even when he isn’t absorbing enemies’ abilities. Even if Kirby Manga Mania wasn’t recently released because of this effect, one can see why it works now in a way that it wouldn’t have in 2010.

Kirby manga was doing Kirby memes 25 years ago - Polygon The Kirby manga was doing Kirby memes 25 years ago - Polygon

Obviously, there’s a bit of a disconnect between video game Kirby and manga Kirby. It’s an element that Kirby Manga Mania shares with Mario Manga Mania, a December release from Viz Media that was similarly a best-of collection of strips starring a Nintendo icon, in which the Italian plumber was ruder, cruder, cowardly, and generally more venal than he seems in his games.Dedede has a picnic. Kirby drinks "loopy juice" and *drunkenly* trashes everything. Even sober, Kirby habitually eats ALL THE FOOD. There is practically no time when they just have a pleasant time without Kirby destroying something. Ah, Free Comic Book Day, the day that means that spending time with my family on the weekend nearest my birthday always involves popping to a comic book shop at some point. It was a fun time don’t get me wrong but it was hard giving Kirby a voice in your head when in the video games he doesn’t actually speak and just makes sounds. Not what you’d expect, but it will not leaving you disappointed. While the Kirby brand is known for its light-hearted and comedic tone, this is the first time this series had made me laugh hard.

Kirby of the Stars: The Story of Dedede Who Lives in Pupupu Kirby of the Stars: The Story of Dedede Who Lives in Pupupu

The cover looks adorable, so I thought that this would be a cute little book. I was wrong. Now, my brother tells me that this is likely a classic "gag" manga, but I'll be honest, if this is what goes for a gag in Japan, then I don't want to read any more. I expected the Kirby of the games, a cute pink puffball who eats things and gains their powers. Now, I've only read two stories (that was all I could stomach), but that was not the story that I was seeing. Well it's translated from the original Japan as Kirby of the Stars Dedede Pupupu Story Dedede Compilation. I believe Pupupu is Japanese for Dream Land. Not the bed company. This is Kirby I'm on about Very on brand for my first manga book to be Kirby. I'm not really sure how I want to rate Manga (I wasn't even sure if I wanted to count it towards my goal, but I've been in a reading slump and this felt approachable). Though the proprietary legacy of the manga may have something to do with why its release was delayed, a different perspective emerges when we compare Kirby Manga Mania to Super Mario Manga Mania, released in December 2020. That collection is drawn from Super Mario-kun, which has been published consistently in CoroCoro since 1991. This is not the manga that showed Mario’s penis to the world, but it might as well have been.Kirby Manga Mania: Jump into Dream Land with Kirby and gobble up some fun! Everyone's favorite pink puff teams up with his friends to keep arch-frenemy King Dedede in line. Fans of all ages can enjoy this sampling of a classic Kirby comic; just take a deep breath and hop on in! (story and art by Hirokazu Hikawa) Image: VIZ Media / Nintendo

Kirby Manga Mania, Vol. 1 by Hirokazu Hikawa | Waterstones

I really enjoyed it and I wonder what will happen in the next volume which is volume 7, I thought it was gonna end here. But the author has other plans. Shogakukan's Coro Coro Aniki Magazine Ends Publication". Anime News Network . Retrieved 2021-09-25. Each of the volume’s 11 short stories features Kirby and Dedede, generally with at least one other name character among the interchangeable animals and figures that make up the population of the Dream Land setting. While the characters’ roles remain intact for each story, the circumstances may vary rather widely. They visit a hotel Dedede fears may be haunted. They get trapped in a board game. They visit the future. Kirby tries to secede from Dream Land and form his own country. Aside from Kirby himself, the manga features many of the characters from the Kirby series of games, including Meta Knight, King Dedede, and many of the regular enemies and bosses from the games as well.Kirby’s very origin is one of malleability. When developing Kirby’s Dream Land, Iwata Satoru liked the fact that anyone could draw Kirby, and Sakurai Masahiro wanted to make a game that anyone could play. He can take on any hat, knife, or thiccness and retain his essence as a jolly fellow. Kirby even began life as a prototype sprite, one that Sakurai grew fond of enough to make the center of his creative life. If that doesn’t characterize his very essence, I don’t know what does. I love Kirby, but I'm not the audience for this genre of manga. I think most readers go into it expecting the soft "hiii~" of our spherical hero, only to find a toddler with godlike powers. Canonically correct, but a very different (and terrifying) kind of vibe.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment