276°
Posted 20 hours ago

GAS HOB CONNECTOR ELBOW

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

I'm not saying that I am more, or less competent than a Corgi gas fitter but I have researched and followed the specs laid down by Corgi regarding installation and test. I would not have undertaken the job did I not feel I was capable of completing the job, safely and to spec. Don’t assume that just because the gas hob or the connection hose is brand new that it can’t possibly leak. Defects can occur during manufacture and also things can get damaged during storage and transport.

According to the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998, you must be competent before working on a gas appliance. Regulation 3 (3) it states that anyone who is rewarded for gas work (whether fitting or otherwise) should be registered with Gas Safe. While a lot of DIYers debate the meaning of “competence” under the regulation, we believe that you must have the knowledge and experience to fit gas appliances before installing your own. There are different exams, as well, that cover domestic, commercial, liquefied petroleum gas (LPG), and other gas fitting skills. For a gas hob you will need a gas supply – obviously! This must not be more than 1.5m away from the intended location of the appliance. The hob has the usual BSP tapered connector on it. I would imagine that the connector to the gas main would have to be an elbow with an end feed or compression fit on it to the pipe and a threaded connection on the other end of the elbow. Would you use a slip coupling to achieve this fit and where would you obtain this connector.There is no official standard size hob, and the number of rings can vary from 2 to 5 typically with will further affect the overall size of the hob. The GSR 1998 regulation 3(1) say, No person shall carry out any work in relation to a gas fitting or gas storgae vessel unless he is competent to do so Before you start fitting your gas hob, you need to draw out your plans. Here are some things you can take note of: Competence :- depends on a combination of training and experience and is also combined with assessemnt and re-assessment every 5 years by the ACS scheme which all gas fitters have to do to prove cmpetence. Provided you have outdoor access to your kitchen, you should be fine to install a gas hob. There are however some general rules to go by when selecting a suitable position for one. You should avoid placing a gas hob too close to a door, or underneath a window. You should also avoid placing it adjacent to a wall in a corner. Adding it to the end of a worktop is also a bad idea. Basically, you should avoid placing it anywhere where is is likely to encounter draughts. If the hob is exposed to constant draughts, the flames will struggle to stay alight. Draughts may also blow flames off to one side, causing a potential fire risk. Understanding Hot Zones

Nothing should be fitted in this “Hot Zone”. This includes any plugs, kitchen units or anything else that could burn or melt. The valve of your gas hob controls the gas supply from the pipe to the jet. It is either fully opened or fully closed. The jet is used to distribute the gas evenly through tiny slots that form a circle on the edge of the burner. In the middle of this circle, a burner cap prevents food from spilling onto the burner and keeps the gas flow focused on the burner slots. When you switch your knob on, the ignitor creates the spark that should burn the gas as it exits from these slots. A gas hob is an essential part of any kitchen. If you are planning a kitchen makeover or need to install a new one, understanding how to fit a gas hob correctly is crucial to ensure you are not left dealing with potentially harmful gas leaks. Although fitting a gas hob yourself might seem fairly daunting, you can ensure perfect results if you follow a few simple steps. As their names suggest, gas appliances use gas as fuel. Before installing a new one in your house, you need to first understand how it is meant to work and what are its different parts. It’s also beneficial to know a gas hob’s difference from a gas cooker.

When the hole is made its time to fit some clips to hold the gas hob in place. These clips should come with your hob. It must be noted here that although a DIY enthusiast, or even a carpenter is allowed to fit a gas hob into a worktop or base unit, they are not allowed to connect it to the gas. Please see our project on gas safety and DIY installations. There are loopholes so help people to do the job right or tell them why they shouldn't attempt it. Don't just call someone a bodger without first knowing the facts and why they have done a job in a particular way. I think there are a few gas fitters on this forum who will agree with why I have done the install in the way I have and why I have tested it the way I have. One test can fail, two tests might not. Not so obviously, you will almost certainly need to have an electricity supply for your gas appliance. This also should be within 1.5m of your planned location. If I was in any doubt that the job was done incorrectly I would be the first one to be turning off the Gas supply.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment