276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Mondaine Wall Clock A990.Clock.16SBB 25cm - Official Swiss Railways Clock Red Second Hand Aluminium Casing Dust Resistant

£71.5£143.00Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

For its movement, the Simply Elegant uses the ETA 902.101. This is a reliable quartz movement that Mondaine uses for other watches in the SBB line.

I’ve found that the Simply Elegant pairs well with most of my wardrobe. While I wouldn’t categorize this as a dress watch, I do think it’s on the dressier side. If you usually dress smart casual (or even business casual), the Mondaine will fit right into your wardrobe. Whereas most watches in the SBB range come in at 40mm or 41mm, the Simply Elegant has a decidedly more petite 36mm stainless steel case. However, its lug-to-lug measurement is about 41 mm, so it looks a little larger on the wrist. All of these factors make the Mondaine Simply Elegant one of the more unique watches in my collection, and it’s already gotten many hours of wear. Its timeless design and stylistic flexibility make it a good go-to option. Final Thoughts: It’s Worth the PriceWhile some elements of the dial are slightly evocative of architectural design, the Mondaine Stop2Go case is heavily leaning in that direction. The entire case features a matte finishing which adds to the overall “function first” aesthetic of the watch. The main portion of the case is created by the joining of the bezel and lower portion of the watch. The bezel has a slightly smaller diameter than the rest of the watch, but it’s also very tall in and of itself. This again evokes that firm but subtle design experience we’ve seen elsewhere on the watch.

Authorised retailer for Mondaine Watches. Mondaine watches represent the best in Swiss quality and design. The Mondaine entered the picture in 1986 when they licensed the famous design from Swiss Railways. Their first watch collection debuted that year. Mobatime– Swiss Time Systems: References". Sumiswald, Bern, Switzerland: MOSER-BAER SA . Retrieved 19 October 2014. That’s the iconic motion that Mondaine Watches recreated with their Mondaine Cal. 58-02 movement to bring the Swiss Railways Watch to life. Besides which, I am Swiss, live in Switzerland, and my grandfather worked for the Swiss Federal Railways. I PAID my part, with tax money, among others!Initially, I thought its slender profile looked weird. After wearing it for a while, however, the weirdness dissipated. It does have a tendency to look fairly two-dimensional on the wrist, but this probably isn’t something you’ll notice unless you’re looking for it. Of course, the slimness also provides the obvious benefit of being lighter. Its 1.27 oz (~36g) weight is definitely a plus, and if you’re used to chunky divers or even field watches, you’ll notice a big difference here. Adrian Sulc (11 November 2012). "Der Streit mit Apple schwemmt Millionen in die SBB-Kasse". Tages-Anzeiger (in German). Zurich, Switzerland: TA Media AG . Retrieved 11 December 2014.

I’m also a big fan of the cherry-colored seconds hand and the way it pops against the monochromatic dial. Despite its relative brightness, it doesn’t get in the way of reading the time. Solidifying further this “function first” type of design language is the crown. It basically looks almost like a device switch or possibly like some sort of analog dial. Turning the crown while it isn’t pulled out doesn’t do anything. But once the crown’s been activated, this flat switch-like design allows it to be very comfortable to operate. Hilfiker gave this explanation for his technical solution: “The second hand provides reassurance at the last minute and makes it easier to dispatch trains on time.”

The Iconic Swiss Railway Watch

Also worth noting is that there have been instances of Mondaine Stop2Go owners citing accuracy issues over time with the movement. It’s possible that due to the unique programming of running 2 seconds fast per rotation, overtime accuracy may end up taking a hit since rotations won’t line up. However, accuracy is potentially one of those items to overlook if you’re really focused on the Stop2Go for its novelty and charm factor. Clean, and Instantly Recognizable Dial Then the realization hit me – I was wrong about Mondaine Watches all these years. I have no issue stating and accepting that. But what makes me so attracted to this watch? If you know me, you know I like digging into details and understanding the why behind everything. So, you know what? Let’s dig into the details. One-Of-A-Kind-Mondaine Cal. 58-02 Quartz Movement

What’s interesting to note is that while the included strap is fairly straightforward and uncharacteristic, the dial format itself does offer a lot of opportunities for you to have fun with your strap choices. Colors, textures, patterns – you could honestly have a lot of fun transforming the look here from a dress watch, something more casual, or maybe just something way out of left field. Final Verdict The Cal. 58-02 is unique in that it has two individual motors within it (as opposed to one, which is common among quartz movements). One motor controls the seconds hand and then other motor controls the hour and minute hand. It’s not too obstructive, but I have found myself noticing it on a handful of occasions. That said, Mondaine does offer railway watches with matte bezels. SBB Bahnhofsuhr". www.eguide.ch. Zurich, Switzerland: Museum für Gestaltung Zürich / ZHdK . Retrieved 16 January 2023. The really iconic feature was added in 1953. Although the addition of a second hand does not sound impressive, this one really changed the time – a minute became 58.5 seconds. The second hand makes this slightly faster rotation and then pauses for 1.5 seconds at the top of the minute. This allows the trains to leave the station promptly at the right minute. Hilfiker designed the second hand red with a circular end, evoking the look of the platform train despatcher’s baton.It’s understated yet attractive, and it provides a nice balance of form and function that results in a solid value for the money. Another nice touch is the red crown with an etched M that reveals the chrome beneath. It’s not something you’ll see often, but it’s impressive that Mondaine went to the effort to make even the smallest details count.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment