276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Becoming Ted: The joyful and uplifting novel from the author of The Secret Life of Albert Entwistle

£8.495£16.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

TED does not pay speakers. We do, of course, cover travel costs and provide excellent hotel accommodation -- as well as a covetable pass to all five days of TED. Most speakers stay for the whole conference, soaking up the talks and connecting with other attendees. Other benefits include pre-conference coaching and training, special events for networking, the gift bag, and a web archive of the full conference. We are committed to creating an experience that's tremendously fulfilling and beneficial on all sides.

I've often felt that homophobia and misogyny are very closely intertwined - usually when I've heard people make homophobic and derogatory comments, it's been about how someone 'acts like a girl', and there are obviously stereotypes that all gay men are very effiminate. Giles' character internalised a lot of this misogyny and homophobia, and in his desperate attempt to appear a certain way and be accepted, he also unleashed that judgement towards Ted. When Ted's husband suddenly leaves him, the bottom falls out of his world. However, what if from is heartbreak could come an opportunity for Ted to build something new? And to finally put what he wants first. The Obamas returning to their residence at the White House in 2009. Photograph: Samantha Appleton/The White House I was told all the time that writing about gay experiences was not going to have mainstream appeal,” says Cain. “It’s fine if literary fiction, which is going to win prizes, explores the gay experience but not commercial popular fiction, the insinuation being that readers of popular fiction aren’t educated, intelligent or enlightened enough to appreciate these experiences.After twenty years of dedicating their life to one person, forty-three year old Ted is dumped by his husband, Giles; it's saddening, absolutely painful and horrible the way Giles treats Ted - during their relationship and leading up to it. 'Their relationship Ted Ainsworth has always worked at his family’s ice cream business in the quiet Lancashire town of St Luke’s-on-Sea. With the help of Marina, Denise, and octogenarian flamboyant Stanley, will life's new route be built on pride or will Ted and Oskar flounder by the wayside? Full of the warm, beautifully drawn characters I've come to expect from Matt's writing . . . so moving and so much fun. This is a book that's going to mean so much to so many people

Beautifully crafted characters and a thoughtful, layered plot that explores love, friendship and identity . . . Becoming Ted reminds us that every dream is worth following’ Julietta Henderson

Another special ability Matt Cain has is to bring the secondary characters into the story and let them steal a small piece of your heart. Whether it’s Stanley and his words of encouragement to Ted or Oskar and his troubling past, trying to find his place in the world, there is a lot of heart to be found. I think Matt Cain very much has a certain writing style and going off this book, it's absolutely not for me. Although reality TV shows like RuPaul’s Drag Race have pushed conversations about drag to the surface, the narrative arts haven’t really caught up. We all grow up subject to different expectations, and rules, and feelings of obligation. Society tends to tell us more about what we can't do, or what we shouldn't do, and overcoming this sort of conditioning is no easy feat. Much of the plot is relatively gentle with characters providing their innermost thoughts for the reader, but it explores modern issues too. Prejudice, in many forms, permeates the story so that it provides insight into a world many readers will never experience.

At TED, we search year-round for speakers who will inform and inspire, surprise and delight. Our presenters run the world's most admired companies and design its best-loved products; they invent world-changing devices and create ground-breaking media. TED also seeks out emerging artists, scientists and thinkers, introducing them to the TED community well before they hit the mainstream. Becoming Ted is beautifully written and features a fabulous, diverse cast. Matt Cain creates the most wonderful, credible characters, they always feel so real and totally relatable. I adored Ted (a kind, gentle soul), his bubbly friend Denise, spectacular Stanley, and the rest of the motley crew. The North is very well known for storytelling, heart and humour,” says Cain. “I find it easier to explore themes of human connection, emotional connection and community if I’m setting the story there.”Becoming Ted is a sensitive, realistic and ultimately uplifting exploration of love, identity and being true to yourself. Through Ted, Matt Cain gives his readers permission to let go of some of the constraints in their own lives and to make the most of opportunities that present themselves. Indeed, this might be a book whose protagonist happens to be gay, but that isn’t the point of Becoming Ted. Rather, this is a book about human connection, bravery and truth. It’s well worth the read.

We accept nominations all the time. It's best to get your suggestions to us as early as possible, so we can research them carefully and make the best decision on the speaker roster. Human beings are complex, dolly. And what you learn by the time you get to my age is that there are all kinds of reasons good people do bad things.It's revealed in the story that Ted's best friend had an affair with Ted's dad 20 years ago. This is revealed slowly throughout the book in a series of anonymous notes, but it doesn't actually add anything to the story. I liked the themes of putting yourself first, doing things you enjoy and being comfortable in your own skin, but that's pretty much one of the only reasons why I didn't rate this one star. A lot of humour as well were essentially jokes putting other people down. It wasn't funny to me and in some cases felt a bit mean-spirited which diminished my enjoyment as well.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment