276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Silent Voices (Vera Stanhope)

£4.995£9.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

I do think the tv series elevates the books. Without having watched much of them being able to picture Brenda Blethyn's version of the character helps a great deal. Blethyn's version is older, she has the world weary downtroddeness and unvarnished manner but there's still a likeability about her, you want her to do well. In the books we keep hearing how ugly she is, she's repeatedly refered to as fat, her intrespection when not smug leans towards depression; she drinks, frequently dwells on being alone and childless. I kept thinking we get the message, reminding us once per book would be more than adequate, it becomes tired. Vera is a great creation, scruffy in person but an incredibly smart intellect. But she's delivered with such bitterness there's a growing repugnance, hearing the thoughts of Ashwood and others they veer between admiration and disgust of her. Unheard of for me, I'm debating leaving the books and digging out my tv remote. I adore Joe, but he does have some serious competition here on looks. There’s quiet, comforting Simon and a cute manipulative osteopath, Michael Morgan, who sounds just like Paul Bettany. You do realize you’re killing yourself?’ She’d leaned forward across the desk so that Vera could see that the perfect skin was uncovered by make-up, smell a discreet grown-up perfume.

T]his welcome addition to the Vera Stanhope series is a showcase for the strengths of the author in getting under the skin of apparently ordinary people, and conveying the intense passions that have simmered for years beneath an apparently normal surface." Ann Cleeves να μπερδέψει τον αναγνώστη σε σχέση με το ποιος είναι ο ένοχος και πώς λειτουργούσε η ντετέκτιβ θύμισαν Agatha Christie! The identity of the murdered woman, Jenny Lister, a social worker living in the same village as Connie Masters, throws a new perspective on the crime. Perhaps it's not just the case of an unfortunate woman stumbling across the petty thief operating at the Health Club. Perhaps there is another reason that someone strangled Jenny Lister.

The ending was completely dazzling...without the reader comprehending the motives until Vera reveals the hidden secrets from the past. Esta primera escena me ha conquistado, trata la situación de lo que una mujer como tú o como yo, (patosa donde las haya), haríamos en esa situación, y no las novelas que últimamente nos venden donde las inspectoras después de un rifi rafe salen divinas de la muerte, siempre estupendas sin despeinarse un pelo. In a neighbouring village a young mother, Connie Masters, is collecting her daughter from the local playgroup. This is something that she dreads, running the gauntlet of those unfriendly stares and whispered asides. After the little boy's death and the trial, the press pursuit and furore, her own life and that of her daughter's has been a misery. Even here, having moved from the town to a rented cottage in a small village, her identity has been realised and she finds herself at the mercy of the local pillar of the community, Veronica Eliot, with her coordinated campaign of disapproval.

In the third novel, Vera is called to investigate the deaths of two young people, who were murdered in the same way - placed in water and surrounded by flowers - before a third murder is committed. Watch this one in Vera’s TV debut in series one, episode one. Silent Voices When a social worker connected to a high-profile case is found drowned by being held under water, Vera and Joe (Brenda Blethyn and Joe (David Leon) embark on an investigation, in "Silent Voices." Social worker Jenny Lister was part of the Mattie Jones case two years earlier. Mattie had drowned her son Elias while she was the client of Connie Masters, whom Jenny supervised. Jenny was found innocent of any wrongdoing, but Connie Masters, overloaded with cases, was blamed. Masters now lives quietly under another name.the imposing figure of DI Vera Stanhope. This is policewoman as crumpled Valkyrie, at times almost an outcrop of the landscape, at times avenging goddess striding the Northern blasts... Cleeves is excellent not only on the main character but on the mixture of exasperation and respect that she provokes in others. Combined with the intricate plotting, this makes for a compulsive read." Vera investigates the death of a 22-year-old man who was involved in a hit-and-run in the remote Northumberland Valley. This novel lends its plot to series six, episode three. The Seagull

After a woman commits suicide, evidence comes to light exonerating her for the murder of a teenager 11 years previously. This story comes to life in series one, episode two. Hidden DepthsSilent Voices is the fourth in the series, and opens with D.I. Vera Stanhope out of her comfort zone - swimming slow laps at a country health centre in an effort to improve her fitness. Soon things take a turn in her favour though, when she discovers the body of another woman in the steam room. Social worker Jenny Lister has been murdered - is it because something in her professional history or does the murderer have a more personal motive?

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment