276°
Posted 20 hours ago

A Kind of Spark

£3.995£7.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Although he’s the school librarian, he’s far kinder to Addie than her actual teacher, encouraging her campaign and interests and allows her to eat her lunch in the library. She is the kind of person who should have read a book like this as a child so she could learn to not be prejudiced against people who are different. I'm neurotypical, and I can never fully understand what it feels like to traverse a world that isn't designed with me in mind. Na szczęście Addie ma wsparcie u rodziny (w tym także autystycznej starszej siostrze) - oni zawsze stoją po jej stronie. Addie and Keedie are treated as unusual and frequently misunderstood by their community, ranging from condescension to outright bullying.

I am so touched and so very grateful that my two boys ever found such an open-hearted tribe to champion them. I loved that she didn't give up in her quest for the memorial, that she didn't let people dismiss her even though continuing to push for it was at times stressful and scary to her. Maybe they’ll realise that being autistic isn’t something to be shamed, it is something to be admired. They were all so different and good in their own way, but A Kind of Spark is truly accessible for everyone.Nice Girl: Audrey, the new girl who moves into town, becomes friends with Addie quickly and is always nice to her. But what's so beautiful about this book is that it speaks about autism myths and debunks them right away. Sadist Teacher: Miss Murphy, Addie's teacher is cruel to her in class and was the same to Keedie when she in primary school. Award-winning and neurodivergent author Elle McNicoll delivers an insightful and stirring debut about the European witch trials and a girl who refuses to relent in the fight for what she knows is right.

To be a part of their World Book Day celebrations is great, and to have been voted the winner by readers is life changing. A Kind of Spark by Scottish author Elle McNicoll follows Addie, an 11-year-old autistic girl who campaigns for her town to erect a memorial to the women murdered during the Scottish witch trial.

Title Drop: Addie says in her speech, "My Grandpa always said, people like me in the past might not have been the most sociable. Addie remembers her throwing a plate and pinning Keedie to the floor until a neighbour heard the screaming and intervened.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment