276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Five Go Adventuring Again: Book 2 (Famous Five)

£3.495£6.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

This is book number 2 and I'd not read it before this week when I read it to my daughter, Celyn. Being only the 2nd volume it's one where some of the basic 'mythology' of the series is established. The Famous Five Big Book. Five on a Treasure Island, Five Go Adventuring Again, Five Run Away Together I enjoyed this one, even though the mystery doesn't happen until three quarters of the way into the book. We have an old farm house and a secret passage. Timmy comes to the rescue again but he has a hard time in this story. Having now read _Five Go Adventuring Again_, I have the strong suspicion that George is the best thing ever, as she is a girl with a boy’s name who prefers to be called ‘Master George,’ she actually gets away doing poorly at school on the excuse that she hasn’t ever been there before, and not only does she solve the mystery of who has been stealing her father’s scientific work, but she also solves the ages-old secret-passage mystery as well – while everyone else (including the adults) are just kind of standing around being like, ‘hmm, everything is so confusing, probably because we are only eleven!’

Five Go Adventuring Again - Goodreads

The Secret Way is described as being dug through sandy soil ... which boggles the mind ... and the children encounter cave-ins along the length of it, meaning that their exploration of it is actually mind-bendingly fool-hardy.The Five have to have tutoring over the Christmas holidays because of illness. It snows heavily and they can't get out. There's a thief at Kirrin Cottage! The Famous Five think they know who it is, but they need to prove it! Where can they find evidence? The discovery of an old map and very unusual hiding place is all they need to get to the bottom of this mystery and uncover the true culprit! Adult interference is curtailed, empowerment and decision-making encouraged and these crucial elements underpin the plot of each of her works, balancing the unfortunate sexism and racism endemic to the era in which she flourished. Enid Blyton wrote a vast number of books (~800) and she must have written most of them in the space of a few weeks. She also appears to know rather little about history, science, mechanics etc and it shows - but only to adults who find themselves reading the books.

Five Go Adventuring Again by Enid Blyton - AbeBooks Five Go Adventuring Again by Enid Blyton - AbeBooks

I think George is my favorite character. She hates to be called Georgina and has a bit of a temper. She absolutely loves her dog, Timothy. And woe to the person that dislikes her dog! :) Five on a Treasure Island, Five Go Adventuring Again, Five Run Away Together (v. 1) (Famous Five Library)

Check-In

Five Go Adventuring Again (published in 1943) is the second book in the Famous Five series by the British author, Enid Blyton. Blyton was a prolific author of children's books, who penned an estimated 800 books over about 40 years. Her stories were often either children's adventure and mystery stories, or fantasies involving magic. Notable series include: The Famous Five, The Secret Seven, The Five Find-Outers, Noddy, The Wishing Chair, Mallory Towers, and St. Clare's.

FIVE ENID BLYTON - Google Drive FAMOUS FIVE ENID BLYTON - Google Drive

The Famous Big Book: [Five on a Treasure Island, Five Go Adventuring Again, Five Run Away Together] This article about a children's novel of the 1940s is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it. Although the story is mostly focused on the plot, there is a bit of character development for the siblings and their cousin. I especially liked that the children gain the trust of the adults through their truthfulness and honesty.I can see why this series is such a classic. I kept reading references to the Famous Five stories in books by British authors so decided it was time for me to read the series! I'm glad I did! These are children's stories and a bit dated, but very enjoyable tales! There are 21 books in the series, published from 1942 through 1963. Then there are eight short stories added in 1995. Five Go Adventuring Again is the second book in the series. I still have a lot of reading to do! :)

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment