276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Everyone You Hate is Going to Die: And Other Comforting Thoughts on Family, Friends, Sex, Love, and More Things That Ruin Your Life

£8.495£16.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Sloss is one of my favourite comedians of all times and I think he is really talented and insightful. My favourite thing about his comedy is that it always has a valuable message behind it, which blends extremely well with his really dark humour. One might question, why do I love Daniel Sloss this much? Genius comedian: to make you laugh but then after a few days you find yourself still thinking about his analogies and jokes because some shit he said was more than laughs. (JK It's the dark humor...) Honestly, my huge respect for Daniel Sloss comes from his Show X, which made me laugh my ass off and then cry myself to sleep. Touring the show more than 300 times in a span of a year to make sure the message gets out there is something that I appreciate dearly. But then I watched his other shows and it was my first time seeing someone using the same dark jokes and being honest about his shitty thoughts and that allowed me to be more true to myself I think. Daniel Sloss is one of my favorite comedians and even I had front row seats when he came to Athens the September of 2021. I had many laugh out loud moments while reading his book, but at times it was just tedious reading how many times he had sex in his life, or reading some of the same jokes that he wrote for his stand-up specials just with more elaboration. When the book is at its best, it reads like one of his specials, just unedited. If you like his comedy, read it, if you don't know him, binge his three specials and then read it. If you don't like him, this book won't win you over. Giving this 4 stars because of how often it had me quite literally laughing out loud. Sometimes to the point of tears. And at situations described in such wildly inappropriate (to my Frail & Delicate Southern Flower ears) language! In general, there’s just a considerable immaturity that’s frustrating here. Early in the book, covering the same ground George Carlin and Lenny Bruce charted out ~a half century ago, he argues that words aren’t harmful – but y’know, a lot has happened since then, and it’s not the best look in 2022 to be the straight white male comedian explaining to the rest of the world how they’re too sensitive, and he can say what he wants as long as he says it without hatred. Yikes, yikes, yikes.

Everyone You Hate is Going to Die by Daniel Sloss - Waterstones Everyone You Hate is Going to Die by Daniel Sloss - Waterstones

That said, he is not an author... This book is a regurgitation of what he said in all of his specials - only more detailed and with less jokes. On top of that the book is tiresomely meta, where he talks on and on about his editors letting him put dirty words in and us the readers giving him our money for this attempt at a book (as he puts it). Then there are all the pauses to explain Scottish slang to Americans - what bugs me about this is that he always points out the explanation is specifically for Americans, as if other nations either know Scottish culture perfectly, don't read his book or don't matter. The main vibe he gives off is the third option although most likely it is the second. Read [PDF] Books Everyone You Hate Is Going to Die: And Other Comforting Thoughts on Family, Friends, Sex, Love, and More Things That Ruin Your Life *Full Online I love his Netflix specials. Amazing comedic timing and deliveries, all in all a perfect combination of wit, comedy and wisdom. I’ve replayed them countless times, and every time it’ll sent me into fits of laughter. Everyone You Hate Is Going to Die: And Other Comforting Thoughts on Family, Friends, Sex, Love, and More Things That Ruin Your Life

Become a Member

Don't let the 2/5 fool you, I still recommend the book. It's just that I literally thought that, "it was ok," as the rating suggests. Loneliness is like most things in the world: You have to practice it to get good at it. Sometimes being alone is utter bliss. Once you get used to being alone, relationships really have to go out of their way to interest you. If you want to be in a relationship with me, you have to be better than being single." Poignant at times, but ultimately this book left me with aching facial muscles from pure joyful laughter. Everyone You Hate…’ turns out to be a very enjoyable read, unsurprisingly. Written in the rhythm of a seasoned comedian's set, there are laughs liberally sprinkled, serious bits with elements of self-examination, and the impression that each carefully placed word has simply come to him in conversation. Just like any good Edinburgh show. Which we have all been missing of late, even as shows from two years ago are now setting out their tour dates once again. Buy Everyone You Hate is Going to Die: And Other Comforting Thoughts on Family, Friends, Sex, Love, and More Things That Ruin Your Life here.

Everyone You Hate Is Going to Die - Apple Books Everyone You Hate Is Going to Die - Apple Books

Everyone You Hate Is Going to Die: And Other Comforting Thoughts on Family, Friends, Sex, Love, and More Things That Ruin Your Life csv But there’s also some cringey stuff in here, and worse, some unfocused stuff. I think it could have used a bit more editing, perhaps been about a third shorter – the chapters about his toxic relationship is particularly painful, because he just rants in an angry way without giving many specifics, so there’s not a lot to grab onto. Everyone You Hate Is Going to Die: And Other Comforting Thoughts on Family, Friends, Sex, Love, and More Things That Ruin Your Life txt read Everyone You Hate Is Going to Die: And Other Comforting Thoughts on Family, Friends, Sex, Love, and More Things That Ruin Your LifeI’m so glad I got the Audible version, since I got to hear Daniel read the whole thing, like a very sweary bedtime story… that takes 6+ hours… In the first book from one of this generation's hottest and boldest young comedians, Daniel Sloss presents a transgressive and hilarious analysis of all of our dysfunctional relationships, and attempts to point us in the vague direction of sanity. As with most comedians who try their hands at book-writing, it's pretty clear that this is not the medium or format for him. I laughed out loud many a time, but just about every single joke would have been better in the stand-up format. I don't think Sloss would disagree with me. Sloss uses comedy as a means to not only make his fans laugh but also to raise critical questions about the way we act . . .”—Christina Zhao, Newsweek I mean, seriously, y'all--I was snorking laughing. If I were one to guffaw, I would've been guffawing.

Everyone You Hate Is Going to Die - Audible UK

One of this generation's hottest and boldest young comedians presents a transgressive and hilarious analysis of all of our dysfunctional relationships, and attempts to point us in the vague direction of sanity. reading Everyone You Hate Is Going to Die: And Other Comforting Thoughts on Family, Friends, Sex, Love, and More Things That Ruin Your Life The lads chapter is discouraging. It’s like he *sees* toxic masculinity, and even uses the term, but he doesn’t really quite have the self awareness to see how his behavior perpetuates it. In another uncomfortable section, he talks about a male friend whom he believes committed sexual assault; this is also a really tough section to listen to because it’s painfully earnest and, to my way of thinking, he draws all the wrong conclusions: he pathologizes this person and makes them into a monster, missing the broader culpability of rape culture. It’s just not a problem Sloss can solve by ostracizing one dude and deciding there was always something funny about him anyway so that’s all dealt with. Politics aside, it seems like something he’s struggling with, and it’s uncomfortable to watch him process it in the context of a banter-y book. This book was received as an ARC from Knopf Doubleday Publishing Group in exchange for an honest review. Opinions and thoughts expressed in this review are completely my own. Everyone You Hate Is Going to Die: And Other Comforting Thoughts on Family, Friends, Sex, Love, and More Things That Ruin Your Life excelSpecific generational experience and perspectives come through clearly, articulately expressed with his own curse-sprinkled voice and clear-headed wisdom. There's a reflective sensitivity. A stonking light touch that sees Sloss re-visit the heavier topics from his shows of death, family, betrayal, relationships, and sexual assault - in an uncompromising and fiercely loyal fashion. He doesn’t flinch from the difficulty, and it’s richer for it. This is a laugh out loud funny book; Sloss’s sense of humor is brutal, and if you enjoy comedians who don’t shy away from darkness, you’ll find a lot to like here. (See for instance, the title, the cover. One of Sloss’s standup specials was about the death of his disabled sister, and another was about a toxic relationship that pushed him to consider suicide. Sloss’s claim to fame is that his comedy has inspired hundreds of couples to break up. Really!! So, y’know… dark!)

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment