276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Visions from the Upside Down: Stranger Things Art Book

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Michelle:Things that we saw that we adopted were the fade-downs of the type that change colour in the fade. If you look super closely we added some of that, red in the fades. The jitter in the light was another. Also the way the type moved. If this was a real title done in the ’80s the designer probably would’ve been fired! We have maybe a few too many inconsistencies, but I think that’s what makes it beautiful and gives it that organic quality. So, congratulations on Stranger Things! It’s gotten an incredible response. What was the first meeting about this sequence like? The company you’re with, Imaginary Forces, began as R/GA LA, the Greenberg brothers’ company, which essentially makes the Stranger Things titles a direct descendant of those iconic Greenberg openings. Did carrying on that design pedigree weigh on your mind while you were working on this?

Stranger Things Fan Art ideas - Pinterest 390 Best Stranger Things Fan Art ideas - Pinterest

Michelle:Eric created some of his own grain in After Effects and ultimately it was tonnes and tonnes of layering. He used some elements of Lens Distortion 4K which is real shot optical lens flares, but only for like one or two shots, and he used Gorilla Grain which is real scanned 35mm film grain. The Duffer Brothers also used scanned 35mm film grain in the grade of the actual show. After that call they sent over some book covers that they liked, from books that they’d either read or seen as children. Most of them were by Stephen King, so we knew they were looking for something that felt ’80s and tapped into this nostalgia by using that typography. View 6 imagesWhere the young man has gone and exactly who – or what – is responsible for his disappearance is a mystery to his friends and family, but answers may lie in the secretive government lab just outside of town – or perhaps somewhere in-between. It’s up to Will’s intrepid friends, his dogged mother and brother, a washed up cop, and a strange girl to discover the truth of what’s lurking below the surface of their seemingly normal town. Michelle: That was my era! [laughs] I love The Goonies, E.T., Star Wars– Aliens was amazing – all those films. They stay with you.

Visions from the Upside Down: Stranger Things Artbook

Michelle: There were! Obviously we looked at all of R/Greenberg’s sequences – Altered States and The Dead Zone specifically. I know we looked at Bullitt by Pablo Ferro because it’s one of my favourite title sequences, but what we were really doing was looking for the optical quality they had rather than the motion design. In honor of Stranger Things, the innovative pop culture enthusiasts at Printed In Bloodare proud to present the latest release in their ongoing series of artbooks. More than two hundred artists, drawn from the earthly dimensions of comics, illustration, fine art, videogames, and animation, have come together to bring us a unique vision of the world of Hawkins, Indiana. Come dig into this collection of more than two hundred brand-new images and see what new worlds you might discover lurking just beneath the surface.Michelle: [laughs] Yeah, we recast! So then we had to find the most beautiful pieces of Benguiat. The other typeface maybe had nicer counters or serifs, but we had to switch things around to find the most beautiful parts of Benguiat. In celebration of the runaway hit Netflix series Stranger Things, Printed In Blood is proud to present the latest release in their ongoing series of artbooks. More than two hundred artists, drawn from the earthly dimensions of comics, illustration, fine art, videogames, and animation, have come together to bring us a unique vision of the world of Hawkins, Indiana. Come dig into this collection of more than two hundred brand-new images and see what new worlds you might discover lurking just beneath the surface. [1] External links [ ] I can’t justify giving this book more than 3 stars simply because out of the hundreds of images only a handful were created by women. Michelle: They really loved the simplicity of those covers, but also those Richard Greenberg titles. To get that kind of brief – to let the typeface set the mood for a show – is a designer’s dream!

Stranger Things Books

Over 200 artists present their own unique visions of Stranger Things in a stunning, full-color celebration of the runaway hit Netflix series. Perri would do the titles over and over to get them perfect. If the film shifted or there was a scratch or blemish, they'd do it again. So they actually looked clean. We had to push the style a bit, imagining a title designer who did them out of their garage without the proper equipment trying to make them as clean as possible. Or maybe someone that had made a mistake. Del Rey Books Visions from the Upside Down: Stranger Things Artbook is an upcoming artbook dedicated to the Netflix original series Stranger Things. It will feature artwork created by over 200 artists from the comic, illustration, fine art, video game, and animation industries. It will be released on October 15, 2019. [1] Michelle: There’s something about having a purely typographic sequence that’s a dream to any designer. We’ve tried to sell a similar idea many times, so for somebody to actually appreciate typography and the power of type on screen is refreshing. It’s so simple, but simple is sometimes the hardest. It really is the best of all possible worlds. The music is amazing and the show is great. All the ingredients really work together. Michelle: Initially we tried some other typefaces – Cortezand a few others. We were actually working with another typeface for some time and then it got changed to Benguiat, which changed our process a bit. The logotype for the series had been finalized on the production side and we had to adapt. We’d been animating with a typeface for a while and then we changed it. A typeface is like an actor. Once you change the actor it’s a different thing.

Michelle: I don’t know that I thought that much about it, but I did think like, “Wow! OK, they’re referencing Richard Greenberg so this has got to be good because he’s one of the best.” When I first worked here – when I first freelanced – it was R/GA. So I remember hearing him and his brother’s names a lot and seeing Robert Greenberg in the offices. I definitely looked up to them, you know? The music is such a huge part of this sequence. Did you work with the composers Kyle Dixon and Michael Stein at all?

Visions from the Upside Down: Stranger Things Artbook - Goodreads

But what you ended up with wasn’t your only idea, right? Could you walk us through some of the other concepts for the sequence?The Stranger Things opening is not only a fitting successor to a reveredtitle design tradition, but a testament to the power of type in motion and the enormous potency of nostalgia. Netflix’s Stranger Things is a series loaded with subtle nods and not-so-subtle homages to some of the most beloved films of the 1980s. Showrunners Matt and Ross Duffer channel Steven Spielberg, John Carpenter, David Cronenberg, John Hughes, and everyone in between, delivering a shot of pure nostalgia, a dose of something both familiar to viewers and altogether distinct. Think Tarantino by way of Amblin Entertainment! The initial call was them talking to us about some of the film titles that they liked. They referenced Richard Greenberg and all the greats that he’d created – The Goonies, Altered States, Alien, The Untouchables, The Dead Zone, just to name a few. That was great to hear because we understood where they were coming from. That was really refreshing – and pretty surprising – that these creators knew so much about title design. Do you have a favourite spooky show or movie from that era, the ‘80s, that enthralled you as a kid?

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment