276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Deception Point

£4.995£9.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Dan Brown is a master at plot. Truly, the plotting is ingenious and exhilarating. There is never a dull moment! And this allows us to overlook weaknesses in the novel: characters who are almost three-dimensional but not quite. But for twists, turns, action, and a thrill ride, Deception Point will not disappoint!

Deception Point - Kindle edition by Brown, Dan. Literature

The book is quite informative with all research well done. The story line is thrilling. The female protagonist, Rachel Sexton was well portrayed to make her so believable. She is a woman with a strong mind yet she has her own fears which show that she is real, almost human. Her hatred towards her father given his history of infidelity which indirectly caused her mother’s death is almost natural. The male protagonist too has been given equal strength in the book which I found quite refreshing. I am always amazed by Mr. Brown’s ability to develop the characters so well that you feel they are so real and close to your heart. The book also subtly touches on political maneuverings to hold power/ to get in to power which is all too common anywhere in the world. intelligent, bookishly handsome man who in no way is supposed to be Dan Brown of course not why do you askBut who ultimately is behind the fake meteorite? Is it the embattled President fighting for his political future? Senator Sexton, the President’s main opponent, and Rachel’s father, a fierce critic of NASA in favour of privatised space exploration? Is it Lawrence Ekstrom, the besieged NASA Administrator, fighting to secure the future of NASA and repay the President’s faith in the struggling organisation? Or Marjorie Tench, the President’s fiercely loyal aide, who is eagerly anticipating the impact this discovery will make towards destroying their opponent. The title Deception Point refers to the conspiracy regarding the meteorite and its implications for the government. In it, Langdon arrives at the Guggenheim Museum Bilbao to attend the unveiling of a discovery that “will change the face of science forever”, but guests are left reeling when the evening is blown apart before the discovery can be revealed. Brown sometimes ladles out too much religious history at the expense of pacing, and Langdon is a hero in desperate need of more chutzpah,” Publishers Weekly writes. “Still, Brown has assembled a whopper of a plot that will please both conspiracy buffs and thriller addicts.” A senator's daughter is unhappy with her father; he's running for president and trying to muzzle her. She works for an agency that supports the current president. She's unwilling to quit and come work for her father to help his campaign, which is dangerously close to getting enough votes to win the upcoming election. And that's just a side plot! NASA discovers a meteor with interesting data. Someone is murdered in the Arctic wilderness in the opening scene. A young woman is sleeping with a politician and hoping to further her career. How does it all connect? Oh boy... in many ways.

Deception Point (Dream Cast) - IMDb Deception Point (Dream Cast) - IMDb

Forget about solving all these crimes; the signal triumph here is (spoiler) the heroine’s survival. Published in 2000 by Simon & Schuster, Angels and Demons takes place chronologically before The Da Vinci Code, although it doesn't really matter which you read first, says Thought Co. This book has most of the contents that we expect from Dan Brown. Conspiracies, double agents, lies, and treason. The negative we can point out is that there is no historical extravaganza as seen in other Brown novels. We can't blame it much as it is a techno-thriller. Big Mystery + Male Protagonist + Female Protagonist + Code to Solve + OMG TRAITOR WITH TWISTED MOTIVES = Best Selling Novel.Also, the infodumps get terribly annoying. A brief bit of dialogue and then an absolute shedload of explanation. Another characteristic of Dan Brown's novels -- all very formulaic, as I said. At the peak of Dan Brown’s popularity, Deception Point was probably the novel of his that intrigued me the most, even more than The Da Vinci Code. However, while it is not the worst pop-fiction you will read, it is certainly not among the best. Dan Brown wrote many other action novels. I have read all of them and this novel is just as good of a read as the rest. This novel is written in the same style as all the others. Leaving in the suspense in all his books, Dan Brown makes all his novels an exiting read. When a NASA satellite spots evidence of an astoundingly rare object buried deep in the Arctic ice, the floundering space agency proclaims a much-needed victory—one that could have profound implications for US space policy and the impending presidential election. With his re-election hanging in the balance, the President sends White House Intelligence analyst Rachel Sexton to the Milne Ice Shelf to verify the authenticity of the find.

Deception Point by Dan Brown | Waterstones Deception Point by Dan Brown | Waterstones

However, I felt that although there were a female and a male protagonist, the other characters were also equally strong and because of that the strength attached to the main characters were quite diminished. And also the NASA finding and its deception and the political maneuvering described in the book although was meant as part of the story, I felt the political maneuvering part as a sub plot to the main story line which kind of hindered the smooth flow of the main story. But these minor blemishes did not stop me from enjoying this enthralling tale. I succumbed to the hype and read The Da Vinci Code first. Despite the clear flaws I have to admit I found it entertaining. I do not necessarily agree with those who say that fiction must commit to the same high level of integrity to historical or scientific fact as non-fiction. Obviously, good fiction will get the facts right and a story’s ability to get it right can be one criterion by which it is judged. But I would not deny a fiction writers right to speculate, alter or fudge the facts in pursuit of a good story. Again, if they get it very wrong, we can include that judgement in a consideration of the work as a whole. We should not forget that many classic novels have made errors of fact, but we seem to forgive this on the basis that the rest of the work is of a high quality. Also, plenty of non-fiction books are based on theses whose interpretation of facts do not survive criticism well, but again we are more forgiving because of the type of work it is and its objectives. It is the style of writing in The Da Vinci Code that I have the greatest problem with and it is probably that deficiency that makes the errors of fact harder to forgive. In 2005, Brown was named one of the 100 Most Influential People in the World by TIME Magazine, whose editors credited him with “keeping the publishing industry afloat; renewed interest in Leonardo da Vinci and early Christian history; spiking tourism to Paris and Rome; a growing membership in secret societies; the ire of Cardinals in Rome; eight books denying the claims of the novel and seven guides to read along with it; a flood of historical thrillers; and a major motion picture franchise.” Lawrence Ekstrom: Administrator of NASA; serves no purpose in the book beyond attracting suspicion. This is vintage Dan Brown before his The Da Vinci Code fame. A president on the precipice of losing re-election is about to make a stupendous announcement that may save his presidency and the fate of NASA. Beneath hundreds of feet of ice in the Arctic, a satellite discovers a meteorite. This one is not your typical iron-core, space remnant. This one has… and here, I won’t spoil the surprise.God, Science and Our Search for Meaning was developed by the Planetarium's in-house production team working alongside Dan Brown and in consultation with a diverse group of advisors throughout its four-year production. Thought leaders in science and religion contributed guidance in ensuring the film took great care covering this intersection. It's about NASA's discovery of a meteorite in the Arctic ice which seems to contain evidence of extraterrestrial life. This would be a huge success for NASA after years of failure. Not as good as Angels and Demons and The da Vinci code, but not as bad as The lost symbol, Digital fortress is the career start of a novelist who used good oldfashioned knowledge in a unique, new way on his way to literary immortality. The series is produced by CBS Studios, Imagine Television Studios and Universal Television, a division of Universal Studio Group. Dan Dworkin and Jay Beattie will serve as writers and executive producers for the series. Dan Brown, Brian Grazer, Ron Howard, Samie Kim Falvey and Anna Culp also serve as executive producers. And the longer he keeps earnestly plugging away, the more the reader warms to him. There’s a winning innocence to Brown’s work, especially as rather than just produce a chase thriller with added sudoku, he is determined to take on the most fundamental issues of human existence.”

Dan Brown - Penguin Books Australia Dan Brown - Penguin Books Australia

But in the end this is his worst book, and for a sad, even noble, reason – his ambition here wildly exceeds his ability.”

It may seem so 'cliché' by the beginning, a typical Hollywood movie where you know they are gonna stop the bomb 3 seconds before it BoooM , and the good Americans wins, the bad whoever foreigner loses..

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment