276°
Posted 20 hours ago

The Tent, the Bucket and Me

£6.495£12.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Whenourtramperscome,lateintheafternoon,tothebankofalovelylakewheretheypurposetoentertheprimitivelife,everythingiswaitingfortheminvirginexpectation.Thereisalittlepromontoryjuttingintothelake,andslopingdowntoasandybeach,onwhichthewatersidlylapse,andshoalsofred-finsandshinerscometogreetthestranger;theforestisuntouchedbytheaxe;thetendergreensweepsthewater'sedge;ranksofslenderfirsaremarshaledbytheshore;clumpsofwhite-birchstemsshineinsatinpurityamongtheevergreens;thebolesofgiantspruces,maples,andoaks,liftinghightheircrownsoffoliage,stretchawayinendlessgalleriesandarcades;throughtheshiftingleavesthesunshinefallsuponthebrownearth;overheadarefragmentsofbluesky;undertheboughsandinchanceopeningsappearthebluerlakeandtheoutlineofthegraciousmountains.Thediscoverersofthisparadise,whichtheyhaveenteredtodestroy,notethebabblingofthebrookthatflowscloseathand;theyhearthesplashoftheleapingfish;theylistentothesweet,metallicsongoftheeveningthrush,andthechatteroftheredsquirrel,whoangrilychallengestheirrighttobethere.Butthemomentofsentimentpasses.Thispartyhascomeheretoeatandtosleep,andnottoencourageNatureinherpoeticattitudinizing.

iwasrunningoutoftimebecauseispenttoolongonq3and2iwaswritingsofastbutmanagedtofinishq4thankfully.ididn'tevengettimetoreaditbuthopingitwasgoodenoughitriedmybestatleastANDYAYNOMOREENGLISHEVERAGAIN A couple of years ago, I went to the launch of Emma Kennedy's first book; How To Bring Up Your Parents. I had a great time and got drunk with the stars of stage and screen. Emma was absolutely lovely and the book was very funny. The tone of this story is brilliant and I can promise very accurate. I HATE, LOATHE and DETEST Camping. Emma Kennedy's hilarious memoir of wet and windy family trips, NOW ADAPTED FOR THE MAJOR BBC ONE SERIES THE KENNEDYS. As an actress Emma has appeared in many award-winning comedies including Goodness Gracious Me, People Like Us and Miranda. Emma won Celebrity Masterchef in 2012 and is a Guinness World Record holder.I love camping! Relive the experience with Emma et al - you can almost taste the smell of the damp canvas JO BRAND For Emma Kennedy, and her mum and dad, disaster always came along for the ride no matter where they went. Whether it was being swept away by a force 10 gale on the Welsh coast or suffering copious amounts of food poisoning on a brave trip to the south of France, family holidays always left them battered and bruised. But they never gave up.

It's rare that I laugh out loud whilst reading but the first family holiday had me in stitches. I'm astonished that they tried again - but they did. And I'm glad. If they hadn't this would be a much shorter book. If you've ever been camping, or had holiday disasters, read this. You'll know exactly where she's coming from! She writes with a real flair for comedy and I finished it in a couple of days as I just couldn't put it down for very long. StudentConsensushaslongseensleepingasunnecessaryandfrivolous,somethinghealthprofessionalsmeaninglesslyrambleonabout.Thisseemssomewhatunfaironboththehardworkingmedicalsectorandourownwell-being.Farfrommeaningless,sleepoffersasolution:itrejuvenatesourbodiesfromthemercilesspressureteachersexertuponus.Sleephasthepowertoenergiseandprepareusforourupcomingexams-sowhyarewedesperatelytryingtostayawake?This is an hilarious book written by Emma Kennedy about her and her parents calamitous camping holidays in the UK and France. The era of playschools (not such thing as OFSTED), the start of holidays abroad, Biba being the sort after fashion label, stay at home mum's and the new towns of the 1970s. I spent the majority of this book laughing, but there was also some cringing, and even a little retching. Offers all you could ask for in terms of lovingly remembered period details, comical pratfalls and well-justified swearing Daily Mail I think Emma Kennedy has captured the essence of the 1970’s succinctly because it certainly is how I remember that period of time although I never made it the Biba shop – such a shame truly.

I’m not sure who suggested we read this book for our book group meeting but I shall be eternally grateful and I’m very glad they suggested it! Because I can’t recall crying this hard in a long time and I believe that laughing until you cry can be a cathartic experience. Of course the downside of crying whilst reading is that is that one’s eyes fill with tears and blur one’s vision.I like listening to an audiobook while dropping off to sleep, I find it impossible to sleep while laughing out loud. Therefore I'm glad I've finished the book, as I am shattered!

Enough material for a pretty good twenty minute standup slot, padded out to a quite ludicrous length - I'd managed to procure myself an ex-library Large Print edition which managed to stretch the ordeal out to almost 500pp of agony. I loved every minute of this book, it eked out the last drops of Summer for me (I realise I'm in denial there!). There were many times reading this book, where I irritated my husband by actually guffawing! Ican'trememberthelasttimeIsawrain,'answiseredmymother,lookingupandlettingherbookfallclosed.'Mustbewelloveramonth.It'llbenice.Cleartheair.' Myfathernodded,thenslappedhimselfonthearmwithasuddenviolence.'God!'heexclaimed.'I'mbeingeatenalive!Awfulmidges!'Ihadreturnedtoourpitch,havingbeencalledtosupperbymymother.ShewassittinginachairreadingwhileDadwasmakingtuna-stuffedtomatoes,aDeliaSmithfavouritesotriedandtestedhecouldhavemadeitinhissleep.Hehadstoppedwhathewasdoingandwas This book reminded me of family holidays where everything that could go wrong did. They are terrible at the time but funny when you are safely home. For Emma Kennedy, and her mum and dad, disaster always came along for the ride no matter where they went. Whether it was swept away by a force ten gale on the Welsh coast or suffering copious amounts of food poisoning on a brave trip to the south of France, family holidays always Rain!'hesaid,wipingthewetfromhiseyebrow.'Let'sgetthetableandchairsinsidebeforeitreallycomesdown.Emma,yougetthecupsandplates.Andbecareful,Brenda.Don'tupendthetomatoes.Allthetunawillfallout.'

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment