276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Jane Eyre: Charlotte Bronte (Penguin Classics)

£3.995£7.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Nevertheless, "I would not have exchanged Lowood with all its privations for Gateshead and its daily luxuries. If she were fortunate enough to be born pretty, she has that brief moment of power when suiters contend for her hand, but probably, ultimately, her father would decide who was best for her to marry. Charlotte Brontë’s moving masterpiece–the novel that has been “teaching true strength of character for generations”( The Guardian). The story of Jane Eyre has parallels with the story of Bluebeard, albeit with a very different ending, in which the woman takes charge of her own destiny. Whilst different, both men possess the same unwavering sense of entitlement, and lack humility and understanding when they offer Jane a life contrary to her beliefs, honour, and feelings.

Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte, Stevie Davies | Waterstones Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte, Stevie Davies | Waterstones

Having grown up an orphan in the home of her cruel aunt and at a harsh charity school, Jane Eyre becomes an independent and spirited survivor-qualities that serve her well as governess at Thornfield Hall. What Rochester did is unthinkable to her - not because of how others view it but because of her morals and convictions - and she shows unbelievable courage in sticking up for what she believes in, even if it is to her own material and soul-wrecking detriment. This classic book written by one of the brilliant but short- lived Bronte sisters Charlotte, will not disappoint readers of great literature, still worth the effort after more than a century and a half of its existence . She was four when her older sisters were sent to the Clergy Daughters’ School at Cowan Bridge, where Maria and Elizabeth both caught tuberculosis and died.These experiences set her on an almost perpetual quest for love, for belonging and for the independence to make her own decisions. It is thoughtless to condemn them, or laugh at them, if they seek to do more or learn more than custom has pronounced necessary for their sex. Women swoon in his presence and, after a carefully administered smelling salt, might start calculating what he is worth a year. Reader, gaze upon my tortured physiognomy and answer me one question that I shall pose to thee in the languid torpor of the drooping, sinister twilight of my soul, one which surely reveals more of my own humble, Quakerish origins, unappealing countenance and begs you as my interlocutrice to satisfy my curiosity: why?

Jane Eyre: Charlotte Brontë (Penguin Clothbound Classics)

As an orphan, Jane's childhood is full of trouble, but her stubborn independence and sense of self help her to steer through the miseries inflicted by cruel relatives and a brutal school. Every description of landscape or interior actually serves a purpose to establish the mood of the scene, and it is very well-done. The story of a neglected girl orphan of that name who never gives up her dream of happiness, no matter how remote a possibility, this goal can ever be reached.We at Penguin Random House Australia acknowledge that Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples are the Traditional Custodians and the first storytellers of the lands on which we live and work. And they develop quite a strange and unconventional relationship, while many spooky and mysterious things are happening at Thornfield Hall. Reed sends the unwanted prepubescent Jane , to a charity school Lowood's, run by a clergyman the tyrannical Mr. For more than seventy years, Penguin has been the leading publisher of classic literature in the English-speaking world.

Jane Eyre (Vintage Classics Bronte Series) - Penguin Books UK Jane Eyre (Vintage Classics Bronte Series) - Penguin Books UK

Rochester's treatment of Bertha is even more problematic: divorce wasn't viable, and yet he didn't want to leave her behind in the Caribbean.

If you consider the period in which this book was written; the content and storyline, the uninhibited expressions of love and anger as well as the uncensored view of feminism, then you can begin to appreciate just how incredibly provocative this book might have been. She wrote three other novels, Shirey (1849) Vilette (1853) and She Professor (published posthumously in 1857). Charlotte Brontë’s first published novel, Jane Eyre was immediately recognised as a work of genius when it appeared in 1847. What sort of basis for a happy marriage is that, and can the equalising effect of his later disability and her inheritance really conquer it? Charlotte Bronte makes some good points through Jane’s eyes at how unaware wealthy people are of the true natures of those who serve them.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment