276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Imogen, Obviously: New for 2023, from the bestselling author of Simon vs the Homo Sapiens Agenda

£4.495£8.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

What are some of your other favorite queer stories that you’d recommend for listeners who loved Imogen, Obviously ? Once childhood friends, deeply shy Jamie Goldberg, who is Jewish and white, and stability-loving Maya Rehman, who is Pakistani-American and Muslim, reconnect when pressured into working on the Continue reading »

There are also a lot of valid things Gretchen brings up, like the concept of straight passing privilege but instead of seriously engaging with any of that, Imogen just starts crying and we're to infer from that that what Gretchen said was awful and terrible. YA contemporary is typically not my genre of choice, but WOW, I absolutely ADORE this book. For any young queer girls who have experienced imposter syndrome in accordance with their identities; ‘Imogen, Obviously’ is a love letter to you. Reading it felt like giving my younger self a warm hug, and I couldn’t be happier that I decided to give it a chance!! Immy, come on—no one thinks you’re a queerphobe.” She shakes her head at me, smiling. “And yes, I know I’m queer. I’m valid. All of that. I guess it’s just me seeing the way—I don’t know. They have their shit together, you know?” We better go save him.” Tessa bumps her own fisted hands together. “Imogen, are you ready to experience culinary perfection?” A spring break visit leads to surprising revelations for people-pleasing Imogen Scott, a passionate straight ally.Maybe overstepped isn’t the word. I just . . . feel like I was centering myself in queer spaces. Under false pretenses. I don’t know if that makes sense.” I praised Going Bicoastal for having a character who is already openly out of the closet and proudly bisexual at the start of that book, but I think there's still definitely merit too books where the main character is discovering their sexuality.

Imogen, Obviouslyis perhaps Albertalli’s best book yet, with an introspective look at how identity can shift and an engaging love story.”— Buzzfeed bi. bisexual. lili, i’m bi. it feels bigger than i want it to be. do i really have to announce this? can’t i just feel something and live inside it while it’s happening and not analyze it to death?” I know! I know it’s ridiculous. Not even sure what was in my head at that point, but I just wanted to be more—legit, I guess? So I was like, ‘Yeah, totally, I totally had a girlfriend,’ except—Immy, I was not selling it. Like, at all.” I’d say the most direct reference to my own experience happens around the middle of the story, during a conversation about an actress who came out after years of criticism and scrutiny. Unfortunately, I had many recent real-world examples to draw from here. Imogen reflects upon a few of them—I don’t reference them by name, but I think a lot of people will recognize some of these particular moments and controversies. It felt important to recognize the broad impact of this scrutiny. Imogen has no personal connection to this fictional actress, but she’s deeply affected by this discourse—just like my own listeners were affected by the discourse about me.Although not everyone wants to read those stories, there are people out there going through that every day and books about how confusing and weird that can be are relatable to them (and hey, even me, who went through that several years ago could reminisce on some of Imogen's confused feelings and that-wasn't-a-crush-we're-just-friends-right?-ness). I feel like the fact that Imogen was surrounded by so many LGBTQ people in her life and constantly just believed herself to be straight -- and was told by all those people that she was -- but was a proud ally to them and trying her best to learn about their unique issues added something to her journey of self-discovery.

there’s something beautiful there—a hand holding yours as you figure it out. knowing that when you’re ready to say the words, someone is there. While Gretchen is a semi-frequent presence in this book, ultimately, Imogen knows herself and knows that she is queer enough. I hug Puppy the unicorn close to my chest. “So it’s just...I’m bisexual? And we used to date, but we’re friends now. And other than that—”

BookBliss

this book follows imogen, who visits her childhood best friend, lili at college. she is 2 months away from grade 12 grade graduation, and going to this same college in the fall, so she's a bit nervous to meet lili's friends. imogen was an adorable main character, she felt so real, and i really related to her anxiety and overthinking! as someone who thought they were 'just an ally' for the longest time, this book is for me!! i can feel it!!! In case you haven’t been hearing the hordes of queer bookstagrammers screaming about this book, Imogen, Obviously follows our certified heterosexual and biggest ally™️. When Imogen visits her friend Lili at the college she’ll be attending next year, she gets roped into pretending to be Lili’s ex-girlfriend… which means acting like she’s bi and lying in front of Lili’s friends (including the extremely hot Tessa). But she’s not actually queer, right? This isn’t a crush… obviously.

Imogen's self discovery felt really personal to me, as someone who didn't realize they were queer until they were older. It felt so painful that she thought she was so late to figure it all out, even at only 18, and that she felt like she was even being harmful not knowing. I was in my mid-twenties when I even started questioning, and I resent the idea that it was somehow my responsibility to know these things about myself when I didn't even have the language to describe myself, as if others have any claim on our identities. I started listening to the audiobook initially, and Imogen immediately stole my heart. She's the loveliest person ever, and all I want is to protect her until the end of time. I know she has her sister Edith already, but maybe they're both in the market for an older sibling?sometimes i put off reading a book if i feel it’ll hit too close to home. this wasn’t the case. i knew it would hurt and it did. very much so. but i dived in anyway. more than anything it eased something in my soul, the way every single albertalli book has. Albertalli balances sizzling romance and emotional coming-of-age with ease here, I wouldn’t change a thing! The chemistry between Imogen and Tessa is palpable from their very first meeting and builds seamlessly throught the book, I mean come on, THE CLOSET SCENE!?!?! A little on the nose I’ll admit, but my God you could cut the tension with the knife! Tessa as a love interest was perfect; both for Imogen and this story. It’s a pet peeve of mine when authors give the romantic partner the personality of a paper towel, but Tessa was funny! She was complex! You could relate to her! I am obsessed! Tessa’s so close, but I press in closer, and she lets out the softest-edged sigh. Her hands trail the hem of my waterlogged shirt, and I swear it feels like taking off sunglasses. Clarity and brightness. When her best friend Lili told her friends they’ve dated before, her pretending bisexualism turns into a real search about her own sexual choices. She even finds out she likes Lili’s friend Tessa a little more than she can admit.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment