276°
Posted 20 hours ago

A Likely Lad

£10£20.00Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

I love the constant references to British film and TV, books and poetry, especially as someone who also lives an imaginary existence. The real disappointment is anyone who's seen an interview with Peter Doherty knows there's a beautiful natural poetry to the way he speaks and that is missing. At the time, it was such a big scandal that Mullord appeared on the front of the Evening Standard claiming he was innocent. You sense, off stage, the pain and frustration of Barât, as his friend’s dissolution imperilled their band in its infancy. Peter Doherty had, for a period in the mid 00s, the kind of fame that made him recognisable even in silhouette.

Loving/preferring happy uppers was lucky I guess, but I wasn't cut out for the life of a smack-bandit or crack-head.We don’t share your credit card details with third-party sellers, and we don’t sell your information to others. I’m fairly certain now those photos of Kate in the studio were actually taken by two Bangladeshi crack dealers. Doherty describes how, after that first Top of the Pops appearance, he and Barât were “mobbed” by fans for the first time, something they’d been hoping would happen for years.

It keeps you pretty glued with a veilde promise of something wonderful to come but sadly never really gets there. His friendship with Carl was so pure and powerful, but perhaps the complex emotions Pete attaches to it are best borne out in his/their music. Hope he'll continue writing and playing and drawing and doing all sorts of art for many years to come.Coke and speed were nice little additions, and benzodiazepines for the come-down were really just a way of helping to get to sleep after being up partying and munching "disco-biscuits" for 3 or 4 days at a time. drugs are mentioned for the first time and then it's all about jailhouse rock and the romanticizing of drugs - the classic sex, drugs and rock 'n roll story. Ten years ago after her divorce from Jamie Hince, the supermodel phoned her ex-boyfriend to check in on him and see whether he was still doing drugs. This despite a trail of death, squandered money, a kid he barely saw, unreliability, prison sentences and so on. Obviously rock stars, actors, actresses and artists tend to have access to more money, attend wild parties, have tumultuous affairs and are able to enjoy many interesting experiences; but their day to day lives are always equally interesting to me.

But I know that when you choose your poison, you have to understand what you're getting yourself in for. Self-mythology was always part of Doherty’s approach and you sense at times a weakness for a fanciful thought, such as the one about imagining Morrissey in intensive care with him, suffering from “suspended melancholy”. I enjoy a debauched music memoir and enjoyed Pete's musical output with The Libertines, as well as some of his shambolic side projects. Some of us are seeking bliss, but others are truly courting oblivion - whether consciously/subconsciously and whether they're willing to admit it (to themselves and others) or not. His family and friends’ response to his addiction is summed up as: “Everyone was a bit on a knife’s edge about the drug thing, really.

As one of The Libertines frontmen and one half of the most written about couples of the Noughties thanks to his tempestuous relationship with Kate Moss, Pete Doherty has quite a few stories up his sleeves. His deeply heartfelt recollections of his family, the places he grew up, and his budding fascination with literature from a very early age, had me immediately set right.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment