Magento Forum - UK Magento Forum (Unofficial)

An unofficial but dedicated Magento Forum for Magento Users, Designers and Developers

Ned's Yarns New Website

Want some constructive criticism of your Magento site, post it here

Ned's Yarns New Website

Postby chris1206 » Tue May 11, 2010 12:51 pm

I have almost finished my first attempt at a website. I used magento to create it.

Would really appreciate any thoughts on the website look, use etc good or bad

http://nedsyarns.co.uk
chris1206

Re: Ned's Yarns New Website

Postby edmondscommerce » Wed May 12, 2010 9:25 am

welcome to the forum :)

looking good so far, though definitely feels unfinished...

if i were you now, I would concentrate on just editing the stylesheet and getting the site looking nice
edmondscommerce

Postby Seb de Lemos » Tue May 18, 2010 11:34 am

Content wise it's very good.

In terms of design, I'd say you have a little too much white. The header is quite intensive, but the content doesn't have any colour.

One step to take would be to give the content a border, and then a background colour on the page. Easiest way to do that might be a ~1000px width background which you centre, and repeat vertically.
Seb de Lemos

Postby NetPowered » Mon Jul 12, 2010 6:51 pm

It's better than my first attempt ;)

a few points..

You need to funnel visitors into relevant categories when they arrive, they are unlikely to read big blocks of text. I'd start by simplifying the text on the homepage and break it down into bullet points.

..do a Google search for Adobe Kuler. It's a great tool that will help with colour selection. Not everyone has a natural eye for colours and Kuler helps.

It's also worth downloading a program called "gimp" if you don't have access to professional design software, it's the best free design software out there and is actually pretty good once you get the hang of it.
NetPowered

Return to Magento Site Review