276°
Posted 20 hours ago

The Secret Lives of Church Ladies

£7.495£14.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

There are battles between their desires and those obstacles that get in the way more often than not. How do you navigate the really tight space that church can often bind us in when it comes to many things, but our sexuality in particular? The book shines because it manages to give its characters distinct voices that draw readers into their world immediately - it's easy to feel with the group of (half-) sisters who just buried their selfish father and now contact the one half sister they haven't met yet, with the girl who lives with a mother who has a long-term affair with the preacher, or the woman who struggles to overcome the alienation and shame she feels about her own body.

It was a finalist for the 2020 National Book Award for Fiction and received The Story Prize, the Los Angeles Times Book Prize, and the PEN/Faulkner Award for Fiction. And if we don’t catch the hint, it appears with urgency again as other Black women begin to recognize how they’ve been unable to love their bodies and enjoy their lives because of rules imposed on them.

One theory," he continues "is that the event was caused by a star about 15 times bigger than the sun getting close to the edge of the black hole disturbing some gasses, heating things up, increasing the infrared radiation from the edge. And church be boring as hell, so I just watch Sweet Sadie and think about her sexy body and her secret past.

I read that entire story out loud because I needed to experience the prose on another level: verbally. But the press’s team used several printers to speed along reprints, and Krissoff says he’s proud that “a flyspeck university press in West Virginia can publish at the highest level. The coached shame of ones body extends to their shame over sexuality or even feeling they are deserving of anything, much less love. For a first-generation college student from a working-class family, raised by her grandmother and single mother, college was not about exploration or self-discovery. She real dark-skin with long, thick hair that she wear in a bun under a black church hat, the wide kind with feathers.

The Secret Lives of Church Ladies is a short story collection about Black women balancing the church’s expectations and their own interests. Though the details may be invented, Philyaw, 49, said her book reflects the real-life “dissatisfaction and struggle” of some Black women raised in the church, but also the comfort and guidance many of them find in God. Throughout these stories we constantly watch women be good caregivers, good lovers, good people with gifts to share, and see them be squandered by a patriarchal society. It is a bold and beautiful look at the lives of Black women, at queerness, at earnest desires and a tender message to love oneself.

My favorite, Peach Cobbler, examines a young woman’s response to her mother’s long-term affair with the local minister. Deesha Philyaw’s writing on race, parenting, gender, and culture has appeared in the New York Times, The Washington Post, McSweeney’s, The Rumpus, Brevity, Apogee Journal, Barrelhouse, Baltimore Review, Cheat River Review, Electric Literature, Harvard Review, and elsewhere. Enter this world of dutiful churchgoers, lapsed parishioners, larger-than-life pastors, non-believers, unapologetic sinners, and those hiding their true ratchet selves behind masks of piety. There are several women, however, who leap from that thin line of grace out to freedom in Deesha Philyaw's stunning first collection of stories, The Secret Lives of Church Ladies. These women were prim, conservatively dressed, and those "who make[] sure not a hair is out of place, never speak[] out of line, and does all the right Godly things.The nine stories in this collection are sometimes funny, sometimes frank and defiantly sexual, and sometimes poignant. The latter includes a woman slowly turning toward romantic love even after having been hurt in the past. Her criticisms flow smoothly with the text while adding much-needed perspectives to the overall social narratives. Chiotti targeted a wide range of editors, from the big five New York trade publishers to smaller presses. With sweat beading the tips of their noses and smoke swirling around their hands and wrists, they wielded long-handled spoons to press the frantic, flailing crabs toward their deaths.

Naturally compatible except for living on opposite sides of the country, her relationship with her mother and upbringing in the church stoke fears of intimacy and keep her aloof from him. This is the kind of acclaim that most books—much less a short-story collection, much less a debut, much less a debut collection published by a university press—never receive. And the longtime best girlfriends who as teens dreamed of a double wedding with male mates but now have their own sexual rendezvous together once a year. Philyaw is reflective about achieving so many professional dreams during what has been—from the pandemic to the ongoing police violence against Black people—an agonizing year: “I’m really happy for all the success, but I still have to take care of myself and my kids and be a citizen of the world. You can read it in a few hours—a fun way to spend an afternoon—but Deesha Philyaw’s words will stay with you for much longer.Deesha isn't a new author, she's been writing for a minute, but what she does in The Secret Lives is something special. Olivia’s mother chooses to put all her energy in pleasing and loving this man at the cost of neglecting her daughter, who isn’t allowed to eat the cobbler.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment