276°
Posted 20 hours ago

The Other Mother: A wickedly honest parenting tale for every kind of family

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Jen’s honesty when writing is just superb and it is that which makes this book so unique and with her wonderful humour it is such a brilliant read.

Mother by Harper Rachel - AbeBooks Mother by Harper Rachel - AbeBooks

It was also weirdly colour blind which seemed like a cop-out to me because I really wanted to know the characters better. Because the doll, later, shares Coraline's appearance, except for the button eyes, the doll is the closest there is to an "other Coraline" in the movie. I received a copy of this novel from the publisher and Librarything in return for an unbiased review (thank you!). From the perspective of someone who doesn't have children, I can't comment on the love between a parent (biological or not) and their offspring, but what I can say is that Brister talks about relationships and forming bonds with people, in general, in a very candid and accessible way that leaves you feeling less alone, whether you are dealing with nappies and NCT groups in your day to day life or not. Jenry is thrilled to arrive in Providence for his first year at Brown University, not so much because he's excited for college but because he might finally learn more about his father. All he really knows is that his parents met while students at Brown, that Jasper went on to become a famous dancer, and that he died when Jenry was two. His mother has been reluctant to share any further details about Jenry's early life in Providence, before they moved to Miami following Jasper's death. So Jenry is astonished to discover that Jasper's father is a retired professor who still has an office on campus. And then his world is blown apart when his new-found grandfather reveals the truth of Jenry's parentage: Jasper was merely a sperm donor helping out his sister, who is Jenry's other mother, a figure never before mentioned.I love the way this story is told in a chapter from each person in Jenry’s life. The novel is full of reflective thought underscored by love about what makes a family and how hurtful actions are taken in the name of love. It is a beautifully written book. I can't begin to imagine how hard it must be to raise twins, regardless of any other hurdles or added complications that may come with anyone's personal situation, whether that be through IVF conception or prematurity or parental disagreements. Quite frankly, this book has given me a deeper appreciation for not only the parents that I work with but also of literally any parent that I see pushing a pram down the high street. In danger? thought Coraline to herself. It sounded exciting. It didn't sound like a bad thing. Not really."

Books Vs Movie: What Are the Biggest Differences? - CBR Coraline Books Vs Movie: What Are the Biggest Differences? - CBR

There are so missing and some irrelevant pieces at the story but thankfully those irrelevant ones complete the puzzle at the end. The characters in this story were so well developed, that I just couldn't help but become fully invested in their lives and what was happening with their past and present. I loved that this was told from various POVs so you really got an insight into what secrets each person was carrying and what they were going through at each step of this journey. The relationships between each and every character were extremely complicated and vastly different. I really loved seeing all of the dynamics explored and how they played out. The other people in the corridor—three children, two adults—were somehow too insubstantial to touch the door. But their hands closed about hers, as she pulled on the big iron door handle, and suddenly she felt strong. God, the fact that Micheal and his mom both cared so much about each other that they hid vital information about his father's death. If you need me I'll be sobbing face down on the floor Coraline is one of the best horror stories for children, as well as a brilliant movie to watch during the Halloween holidays. Today, we bring you 56 of the best Coraline book quotes to enjoy and revisit.Didn't know a lot about Jen Bristow before listening to this book. Knew she was funny, and am fairly sure I knew she had at least one son, having caught part of a set she did on Live At The Apollo. For what this is worth, also knew she was part of a group of comedians I instinctively like - a pal of Sara Pascoe, Sarah Millican, Suzi Ruffel and Jessica Fostekew. I really appreciated the uneasy questions this narrative raises in terms of doing right by others and yourself. If you do something terrible (whether it is taking them away from a parent, pressuring them academically, or forcing them to deny who they are) but you have convinced yourself it is the best thing for your child, can you and should you be forgiven? With hope in her heart, she looks through the stone and tries to find something that might be a soul. Somewhere inside her, Coraline could feel a huge sob welling up. And then she stopped it, before it came out. She took a deep breath and let it go." Coraline sighed. “You really don’t understand, do you?” she said. “I don’t want whatever I want. Nobody does. Not really. What kind of fun would it be if I just got everything I ever wanted? Just like that, and it didn’t mean anything. What then?”

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment