276°
Posted 20 hours ago

1923: The Mystery of Lot 212 and a Tour de France Obsession

£9.495£18.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

On the same day, there’s the bombing of the Duisburg-Hochfeld bridge spanning the Rhine, in which several people were killed. Damnations: Dispatches from the 101st Tour de France ( Yellow Jersey Press, 2014) ISBN 978-0224099936 Ned's captivating book explores one man's obsession with this magnificent event and casts an intriguing light on a tiny fragment of a race long gone by * Alexei Sayle * Ned set about learning everything he could about the sequence – studying each frame, face and building – until he had squeezed the meaning from it. It sets him off in fascinating directions, encompassing travelogue, history, mystery story – to explain, to go deeper into this moment in time, captured on his little film. How I Won the Yellow Jumper: Dispatches from the Tour de France ( Yellow Jersey Press, 2011) ISBN 978-0224083362 [11]

Norris Edward "Ned" Boulting (born 11 July 1969) is a British sports journalist, television presenter and podcaster best known for his coverage of football, cycling and darts. It started to take on the elephantine proportions that it has done because the political and cultural landscape of June 30, 1923, was absolutely fascinating. I am not a historian but I started to behave like a historian and tentatively started to reach a loose conclusion that actually that summer was the ‘end’ of the First World War, the afterglow of that conflict.

one of the most intelligent sporting books i have come across...the writing is compulsive, eloquently conveying the twists and turns of the story as it unfolds...excellent -- thewashingmachinepost Wherever Boulting looks, death is to be found. It’s almost like he’s living out a Fast Show sketch. Since April 2020 Boulting has co-presented the podcast Streets Ahead with Adam Tranter and Laura Laker. The podcast involves discussions of active travel infrastructure and often includes interviewing guests. Boulting was born in Andover, Hampshire [2] but moved to Bedford as a child. He attended Bedford School, where he studied for A-levels in French, German and English, before reading modern languages at Jesus College, Cambridge. [3] He is the grandson of film director John Boulting [4] Career [ edit ] The story of an obsession. When cycling commentator Ned Boulting bought a length of Pathé news film featuring a stage of the Tour de France from 1923 he set about learning everything he could about it - taking him on an intriguing journey that encompasses travelogue, history and detective story.

It’s no exaggeration to say that what began as a journey to satisfy a certain curiosity, during that long, sad first Covid winter rapidly became an overwhelming obsession; one which spun off in any number of different directions, all of which seemed to me to be uniquely fascinating. a b Marquand, Rupert (11 August 2013). "Winning over the cycling audience". Bedfordshire on Sunday. Following on from the success of his Bikeology tour, in 2018 Ned announced his newly revamped 'Tour de Ned'. A one-man theatrical cycling roadshow that tours the UK in conjunction with the Tour de France from 28 September - 17 November. [9]Boulting made his darts commentary debut at the 2020 Masters after being a long term pundit for ITV Sport PDC events. [10] utterly captivating...an amazing concept and a truly fascinating adventure into cycling, history and people... a truly addictive read. * Cyclist *

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment