276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Lords of Uncreation (The Final Architecture, 3)

£11£22.00Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Deep within unspace, where time moves differently, and reality isn’t quite what it seems, their masters are the true threat. Masters who are just becoming aware of humanity’s daring – and taking steps to exterminate this annoyance forever. But this novel's first half is entirely unnecessary padding that absolutely bored me to tears. It is action scene after action scene after action scene, space battle after space battle, with an occasional hand-to-hand battle thrown in for good measure. It is pointless to the rest of the novel and story; it treads THE EXACT SAME GROUND as the second half of Eyes of the Void. It is another long battle against the Ark Ship faction conspiracy that was finished in the last book, and of which nothing new happens except some players that could have just expired are wiped off the board. a b Carrie Chi Lough (17 Mar 2022). "Review: Shards of Earth by Adrian Tchaikovsky". Grimdark Magazine . Retrieved 7 Sep 2022. Oh, and everybody who has already read the first two books will read this one as well anyway, of course. It is here in the Eye that the Ints – among them, Idris – have been hooked up to machinery that carefully records physical life signs as they delve into unspace. Idris is supposed to be guiding the rest of the Ints and feeding data to the scientists. Mostly, he is off on his own, trying to find where the Architects live in unspace so that he can begin to understand the power that directs them to kill.

Human and inhuman interests wrestle to control Idris’ discovery, as the galaxy erupts into a mutually destructive and self-defeating war. The other great obstacle to striking against their alien threat is Idris himself. He knows that the Architects, despite their power, are merely tools of a higher intelligence. In a review for Strange Horizons, Stephen Case wrote that Tchaikovsky organized Shards of Earth into "layers" of worldbuilding. In the first layer, Tchaikovsky develops the individual characters, primarily the crew members of the Vulture God. Each character serves as a "window into the broader universe". In the second layer, Tchaikovsky explores conflict between human factions. For example, conflict between Hugh and the Parthenon is examined through the characters of Idris and Solace. In the third and final layer, the novel explores "the ineffable... and utterly ungraspable" scale of the Architects. [5] Reception [ edit ]Shards of Earth is narrated from several different perspectives, most notably those of Idris and Solace. [2]

The other great obstacle to striking against their alien threat is Idris himself. He knows that the Architects, despite their power, are merely tools of a higher intelligence. Deep within unspace, where time moves differently, and reality isn’t quite what it seems, their masters are the true threat. Masters who are just becoming aware of humanity’s daring – and taking steps to exterminate this annoyance forever. The Final Architecture is a series of science fiction novels by British writer Adrian Tchaikovsky. It comprises Shards of Earth, Eyes of the Void, and Lords of Uncreation. The series focuses on a group of humans fighting against the mysterious Architects, who destroy inhabited planets. The series has been well-received critically, with Shards of Earth winning the 2021 BSFA Award for Best Novel. This was not as satisfying of a read as I hoped it would be (especially after the stunning finale to the second book in the trilogy). But still, even a slightly sub par book for Tchaikovsky is still head and shoulders above most other competitors in the field. And even if my expectations were for it to be something more surprising and exciting, it did provide a satisfying ending to the central mystery of the series (the nature of unspace and the mysterious masters of the architects). The climax had to move a lot of pieces and all storylines got together beautifully. Also, like every book by Tchaikovsky, it was well written. Not showy, but engaging, with vivid descriptions, that don't overstay their welcome and punchy, sometimes very funny dialogue. The actionscenes were tense and the atmosphere of cosmic horror was well evoked. I don't think Chaikovsky will be hailed as the master of prose, but he uses his prose as an instrument for the propagation of his ideas in a very engaging and precise way. His ideas are his forte, and this trilogy is full of weird alien civilisations, human factions, weird metaphysical theories about our universe and some theoretical physics. I think Tchaikovsky characters are always engaging as well, coming across as very human, flawed, but not too flawed to make them unsympathetic, and mostly heroic despite themselves. I like reading about the people he writes about. Tā nu esmu nonācis līdz Arhitektu triloģijas beigām. Jāsaka ka ceļojums bija visnotaļ aizraujošs. Par autora spēju uzrakstīt aizraujošu stāstu es nekad nešaubījos. Mani kā lasītāju kosmiskās operas pievelk kā naktstauriņu iedegta spuldze. Līdz ar to šai triloģijai praktiski nebija nekādu iespēju mani pievilt. Mr Tchaikovsky created the perfect space saga for all readers out there. Whether you into hard core sci-fi or not, you will enjoy these books. It has the perfect blend or magnitude, space, awe, likeable characters and space action that a good space trilogy needs.

Recommended For You

A bit lot on the overly long side. The entire trilogy is too long. A duology would have done nicely. I had to re-listen to the last three chapters, because I had run out of steam at the end and reaching the end I realized that I hadn‘t retained any of it, including the grand finale. It‘s a pity that by the end I was mostly glad to be finally done with this trilogy. Last part of a trilogy. I really loved the first book Shards of Earth and sadly struggled with the middle book Eyes of the Void. At the end I think I could have done without books 2 and 3 and would have preferred one standalone and closed novel with less padding and all the plotlines tidied up. Favourite characters are Olli and Kittering. Idris is really kind of a drag in this one, especially his forays into Unspace with their lengthy descriptions of what he sees and feels. My eyes glazed over a few times. Ollis‘ entire story was the most fun. I did enjoy Solace and Kris as well, although Kris only played a minor part. Too bad that she ended up so bitter at the end. And humor. I appreciate a bit of humor even in serious stuff, and Tchaikovsky so perfect for that (I swear, we share the exact same sense of humor and it’s perfect for me). As usual, Olli does a bit of comic relief while still having a compelling storyline with a very suitable end to it, and her character arc, other than Idris’, was perhaps the most satisfying. This is a series that I got in on pretty early and have read each book in the year of its release. The reason for that is because it's really freakin good. I've read quite a bit of Tchaikovsky including Children of Time, Children of Ruin, Children of Memory, and 5 books of The Shadows of The Apt. On the strength of this last book in The Final Architecture I think this is my favorite series of his and this is my favorite sci fi book of his that I've read.

Kā jau tas piedien triloģiju trešajām grāmatām, apskatāmās problēmas izmērs ir sasniedzis zināmā un nezināmā visuma izmērus. Vulture God apkalpei nu ir nopietnākas problēmas par viena lokāla Arhitekta uzbrukumu, viņi ir pievērsuši pašu visuma valdnieku uzmanību. Lai dzīve nebūtu rožu dārzs autors ir nolēmis pamanipulēt ar dažādu frakciju lojalitāti. Kādreizējie draugi kļūst par ienaidniekiem un civilizācijas, kurām šķiet viss bija vienalga pēkšņi kļūst ieinteresētas. Human and inhuman interests wrestle to controlIdris’discovery,as the galaxy eruptsintoamutually destructiveand self-defeatingwar.The other great obstacle to striking against their alien threat isIdris himself.Heknows that theArchitects, despite their power,aremerely tools of a higher intelligence. Human and inhuman interests wrestle to control Idris’ discovery, as the galaxy erupts into a mutually destructive and self-defeating war. As I said before, all the questions that I had about the Architects, the Originators and the enemy behind the Architects are answered. I don’t think theorycrafters will necessarily be surprised by most of them, but for me the answers are never quite as important as how those answers resonate with the characters journeys, and in this case it all fits together immensely well. I loved that this finale not only gave us the answers to the questions we've been asking, but also focused on the unasked questions. Like how the survivors might fare even if everything went splendidly. If people would be able to get a grip and become allies. The inter-personal exploration was as interesting as Idris going into Unspace even deeper to find the Lords of Uncreation.As you might expect, this is a dark, intense, claustrophobic, atmospheric space opera with some disturbing acts of violence aimed primarily at the innocent. The good guys are not necessarily good, and the bad guys are usually pretty bad, if not seriously evil. The language can be a shade brusque, and the content a little colourful, i.e., somewhat bloody and gory, so be prepared it might not be for the faint of heart. Thanks to NetGalley and Orbit Books for providing me with a digital ARC in exchange for an honest review. She even is a bitter person at the reunion at the end because her friends are more successful than her. Which is a fine characteristic in theory that I would appreciate but seems to come out of nowhere and is part of this weird attempt to make her more of a main character than she is. This would have worked if there had been *any* use of her legal and diplomatic skills, but she is just... there, but not really there or important or relevant to any of the story.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment