276°
Posted 20 hours ago

The German Wife: An absolutely gripping and heartbreaking WW2 historical novel, inspired by true events

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Sofie is the wife of a pardoned SS official who has moved to America after the war for a fresh start.

Some of the ‘fiction’ parts -with the various drama — was a little overripe… emotional’ storytelling exaggeration —- but mostly the ‘sensationalized’ crafting reaches into our tender hearts.Thank you netgalley and Harlequin Trade Publishing for my review copy in exchange for my honest opinion. To calculate the overall star rating and percentage breakdown by star, we don’t use a simple average. What I loved most about this book was the different perspectives we got and how the war affected people differently. Although both oppose the radical views of the Reich, he must accept or lose his income and even the lives of his family. Yet it soon becomes clear that if Jürgen does not accept the job, their income would be put on the line, and so would their lives.

While Sofie is trying to rebuild a life in America, Lizzie is determined to make it difficult for her. How would you feel if you were Lizzie with a brother damaged by his war experience and his presence at the liberation of Auschwitz? Sofie is a German woman whose scientist husband ends up involved with the Nazis before being taken to the US to work on the space program. Hello and welcome to my stop of the The German Wife Harlequin Trade Publishing’s Summer 2022 blog tour! Eventually Jurgen, as part of Operation Paperclip, is settled in Huntsville, Alabama to assist the United States fledging space program.After the war we follow Sofie and her children when she reunites with her husband in Huntsville, Alabama in 1950. I always have an interest in WWII historical fiction and I liked the sound of what seemed like an original angle with the post-war situation for former members of the Nazi party. Found myself hanging on to every word and every plot twist… an incredibly emotional read… brilliant historical fiction, I’m eager to read whatever Rix releases next!

I had never heard of the rocket program either in Nazi Germany as a form of weaponisation or post war where the USA brought these same German rocket scientists over to the States to work on the space program. It made me think about that awful time when Hitler ruled and the atrocities innocent people had to endure.

The fact that the US took German scientists and put them to work in the American space program after the war is fascinating, and I liked the focus on how the locals react to the presence of those Germans in their small town. The two women unpleasantly collide in Huntsville, Alabama in the 1950s when their husbands work together for NASA.

But too late they realise the Nazis’ plans to weaponise Jurgen’s technology as they begin to wage war against the rest of Europe. Rimmer's rendition of one German family and the years of torment they suffered is well done; her writing of an American family just the same. As each new atrocity occurs, they must pretend and bend or die as their two attempts at escape have been exposed. Two very different women from two very different worlds find themselves both having to live in a post WWII world in small town Alabama.I agree with all you said, especially about learning someone’s backstory makes the unthinkable, understandable, perfect discription. Plus, the characters and plot are so well developed that my heartstrings were plucked throughout the reading.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment