276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Half Wine Barrel Oak Transformed into Mini Flower Pot or Mini Pond Diameter 70 cm Oak Barrel, Wine Barrel, Pot, Tray, Wooden Planter for the Garden

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

One problem I have encountered over the last year is pond snails. When I first noticed them, I got excited that wildlife had evolved in my barrel, but this is not true. I think the plants I bought had snail eggs on them or possibly transferred by birds feeding from the barrel. Here are the steps I used to create my pond in a whisky barrel; if you are using a different container, just skip the unrelated steps. Step 1: Find a half-cut whisky barrel Here’s a more in depth look at each type of planter, to get a feel for their pros and cons as well as whether they’d be the right choice for your garden: Authentic, Upcycled Wooden Barrels

Looking after your container ponds in Autumn and Winter is critical in how they will perform next year. Container ponds in Autumn:Another option is to go on Facebook marketplace, I saw a few listings for aquatic plants for sale, but they were too far from me. At least two of the barrels I have used have been whisky barrels, and a friend has used a wine barrel. Ponds must be in sunlight… but not such bright sunlight that the water will get too hot in a very small area. They are very lightweight (generally weighing around 1 – 2 kg) and require no maintenance. Plus, if the plastic used is UV-resistant then the barrel should not fade in the sunlight and will maintain its colour over the years. Leave all oxygenating plants in place for now and thin out in Spring if you have more than 1/3rd of the volume filled with them then.

Larger barrels, with a diameter of approximately 70 cm, are perfect for shrubs and small trees. Smaller barrels, with a diameter of approximately 50 cm, can be used for herb gardens and flower beds. What sets this style apart from the standard Temesso barrel planters are the rusting metal bands and darker, uneven tones of the wood; these features give the barrel an older, more traditional appearance. This mini wildlife pond on my terrace is now 8 years old. I occasionally rinse out the top saucer but otherwise it is very low maintenance. It doesn’t smell or get stagnant because the eco-system has been balanced with the right plants. How to make the perfect mini-pond If you have flowering aquatic plants in your mini pond, these will attract bees, hoverflies, dragonflies and damselflies.First, line the barrel with a plastic pond liner, making sure the material is draped loosely inside and that it is folded tightly. Place 5cm of the depth of well-washed gravel at the bottom of the barrel to allow the marginal to be planted and the liner to be weighed down. They tend to be more expensive than plastic barrels, so might not be as suitable for those on a tight budget. Some maintenance is required as well, such as treating the wood against rot, which should be done yearly. Most people find their wooden barrel planters can last at least 20 – 30 years if looked after well.

If you are in a very cold area or anticipate a cold spell of weather wrap the container in fleece or bubble wrap for protection or drop a 'pop up' greenhouse over the whole mini pond. Making a half-barrel pond is a fun, small project anyone can take on, even if you’re the least practical person you know! It requires barely any tools, a small budget, and can be completed in a couple of days. Equipment You’ll Need:You can begin adding the plants via the special net-sided pond plant pots described previously. Choose a mixture of striking flowering and foliage plans that contrasts well with each other in terms of height and shape. Typha minima And if you provide water in your garden, you’ll make a big difference to birds, frogs and all other wildlife. If you’ve got room for a bigger pond, then there are some lovely ideas for garden ponds here.

Most aquatic plants should be fine, but you could give them some aquatic plant feed for a boost. You can buy aquatic feed balls that are full of nutrients and created to reduce algae. If you are going to use them for water lilies, ensure they are fully covered with aquatic soil in the lily pot; fertilizers can dissolve into the water alone and encourage algae growth. I don't know what barrels are treated with before the whiskey goes in so there is the possibility of chemical residue leaching from the wood. I think it's a personal choice as to whether you add a liner, sealant or just a good scrub out. Sealant will degrade over time too, so need replacing. If you just want plants to make a water feature then it probably doesn't matter about the liner. Depending on the condition of your barrel, you may want to sand it down. We sanded ours down as it had pretty serious rusting on the metal hoops. We used a Ryobi Cordless Combi Drill with a metal preparation brush set from Screwfix to sand the hoops down, and this only took us around 30 minutes.Firstly, it’s a lot heavier than a plastic barrel planter, weighing approximately 25 kg. It also doesn’t seem to have been treated with any specific protection against the outdoors, meaning that a bit more maintenance is required as well. Furthermore, it’s watertight, and can be used as a pond or water feature as well as a planter. If the wood is too dry, the barrel will not be watertight until it has expanded – this can be the case when it first arrives. Once planted with suitable specimens, you will need to keep the barrel topped up with water at all times. Be careful when it freezes so that the barrel does not split and be damaged.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment