276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Jojo Moyes – The Girl You Left Behind: The No 1 bestselling love story from Jojo Moyes

£4.995£9.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

She won a bursary financed by The Independent newspaper to study journalism at City University and subsequently worked for The Independent for 10 years. Liv desperately tries to prove it was never stolen as the painting symbolises a little piece of David she doesn't want to part with. OH OH one other big thing for me in this book was that Moyes proves that humanity is a complex species and sometimes its easier for the majority to choose to black or white,rather than choosing that things could be grey.

Thirty-two-year-old widow Liv has been struggling financially and emotionally since her husband David’s sudden death. Jojo Moyes once again tugs at the heartstrings and delivers a book that will make you want to reread as soon as you're finished reading it.What influenced your decision to set the historical part of the novel during World War I rather than World War II? Sophie is a deliciously warm, kindhearted person who goes to all ends to help her family and fellow townsmen during the German occupation of France during World War I.

Do you think the present-day Lefèvre family’s interest in the financial worth of The Girl You Left Behind—and their apparent lack of interest in its beauty—made their claim any less worthy?Normally, I am not a fan of epilogues, but I loved the way this story ended - emotional, yet still satisfying. Sophie ends up making some difficult choices and gets taken away in a cattle car towards a work camp.

Almost a century later, and Sophie's portrait hangs in the home of Liv Halston, a wedding gift from her young husband before he died. Now an organization whose task is to recover artwork stolen from families during war times has discovered the painting and wants to give it back to the rightful owner. I highly recommend this novel but I would suggest reading Honeymoon in Paris first since it sets the scene for this book. In part one of Jojo Moyes's latest novel, Sophie Lefèvre and her family are running a small-town hotel, Le Coq Rouge.The first war hasn't got that much publicity as much as the second world war,so it was interesting reading about it (i kept thinking of Downton Abbey xD ). Here I think immediately of the commandant, but also of Sophie’s siblings, her heroic sister, her doubting Thomas of a younger brother and one fellow resident of Peronne in particular. This is a novel with many tangents, little streams flowing off the main body of water in the way of so many tributaries. Two stories interweave telling us what happened to both women and how this single portrait of Sophie Lefevre impacted so many lives.

As the depredations increase in the occupied zone—food rationing, systematic looting, and the billeting of a German officer, Capt. It's daring and sexy in a way Sophie struggles to see herself and it catches the eye of the Kommandant who craves Sophie. Sophie will offer everything she has to become this woman once again for the Kommandant in hopes of reuniting with her spouse. This was quite a story, and I honestly think Jojo Moyes is in a class all her own for pulling it off. La narración es en primera persona por Sophie, lo cual es excelente, lo que hemos leído a Jojo sabeIt felt alternately boring and overwrought, and I initially picked this up pretty soon after reading All the Light We Cannot See, and it's really just unfair to authors everywhere to pick up chick-lit historical fiction after picking up Pulitzer Prize-winning historical fiction.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment