276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Atlas of Human Anatomy, 7e (Netter Basic Science)

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Time consuming and daunting, don't accomplish their purpose very effectively, several titles contain hints, illustrations are not realistic, problematic small size, organized by regions Starting out as a young physician during the Depression, Dr. Netter found that there was more interest in his medical artwork than his surgical capabilities. "I thought I could do drawings until I had my practice on its feet," he recalled, "but the demand for my pictures grew much faster than the demand for my surgery. As a result, I gave up my practice entirely." William Hunter was born near Glasgow, Scotland. He was a scholar, and studied at the University of Glasgow, before moving to London and continuing his studies at St. George’s Hospital. He took up the practice of what was then called man-midwifery, and eventually rose to fame as obstetrician to Queen Charlotte. He founded a school in London for the study of anatomy, where his lectures were exemplary. He employed his younger brother, the distinguished surgeon John Hunter (1728–1793), to perform careful dissections and prepare numerous specimens [ 5]. In 1936, the CIBA Pharmaceutical Company commissioned a small work from him, a fold-up illustration of a heart to promote the sale of digitalis. This proved hugely popular with physicians, and a reprint without the advertising copy was even more popular.

Being as small as your palm makes them confusing, unclear, and frustrating when trying to distinguish the details Frank H. Netter was born in New York City in 1906. He studied art at the Art Students League and the National Academy of Design before entering medical school at New York University, where he received his Doctor of Medicine degree in 1931. During his student years, Dr. Netter’s notebook sketches attracted the attention of the medical faculty and other physicians, allowing him to augment his income by illustrating articles and textbooks. He continued illustrating as a sideline after establishing a surgical practice in 1933, but he ultimately opted to give up his practice in favor of a full-time commitment to art. After service in the United States Army during World War II, Dr. Netter began his long collaboration with the CIBA Pharmaceutical Company (now Novartis Pharmaceuticals). This 45-year partnership resulted in the production of the extraordinary collection of medical art so familiar to physicians and other medical professionals worldwide.

Netter, Francine Mary (his daughter) (2013). Medicine's Michelangelo: The Life & Art of Frank H. Netter, MD. Quinnipiac University Press. ISBN 978-0989137607. Honorary Award for Contribution to Knowledge of Musculoskeletal System, American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons I am pleased to introduce our latest Art in Science column, written by Francine Mary Netter and Gary Friedlaender. Francine Mary Netter is the author of Medicine’s Michelangelo: The Life & Art of Frank H. Netter, MD, a biography of her father, the renowned medical illustrator. Gary Friedlaender is the Chair of the Department of Orthopaedics and Rehabilitation at Yale School of Medicine. Together, they will share observations from a fascinating vantage point: the interface of art and medicine. The Netter illustrations are appreciated not only for their aesthetic qualities, but, more importantly, for their intellectual content. As Dr. Netter wrote in 1949 “clarification of a subject is the aim and goal of illustration. No matter how beautifully painted, how delicately and subtly rendered a subject may be, it is of little value as a medical illustration if it does not serve to make clear some medical point.” Dr. Netter’s planning, conception, point of view, and approach are what inform his paintings and what make them so intellectually valuable.

Netter's illustrations, effective organization of information, one muscle per card, cross-references to atlas images and other plates, portable, Student consult, durable and sturdyIllustration s are not realistic - Ok, Netter’s illustrations are definitely top-class, otherwise they wouldn’t be so popular. However, they mostly depict this utopic anatomic specimen that simply doesn’t exist anywhere in the world. A lot of times, there are huge discrepancies between the illustrations and cadaveric specimens. Many times, students cannot even find the structures in the locations they are indicated in by the images. A lot of medical schools carry out their anatomy exams by asking students to name and describe structures on a cadaver, so it’s a lot more common than you might think. Not only that, but even the colours don’t really match either. What does this mean? You need to get your hands on more textbooks, more resources, a cadaveric atlas, and much more, otherwise known as: additional expenses.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment