276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Montane Mens Extreme Softshell Jacket

£47.49£94.98Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

OP - I've had both. The Montane has a few extra whistles and bells, but for me the Buffalo Big Face was a far better fit so worked better. I'd try to find both to try on and buy which ever fits the best (trim - you don't want excess space in it which my montane has). I think Rab has basically opted for a slightly less than 100% windproof outer to improve breathability and you do need to add a shell layer if it’s properly windy. My last comment may leave you about being drenched in sweat. Don’t be. The fleece lining doesn’t hold moisture and excess will soon run off. Even if some rain gets through the Pertex shell it will soon shed. Out there, away from ordinary. To measure your commitment on the remotest summits. Test your resolve through the worst kinds of weather. And sharpen your appetite on hard won miles. Traditionally with pile-Pertex, that protection’s come at the price of mobility, but while the Extreme’s certainly not some sleekly-tailored torso-hugging stretch soft shell, the tweaks to the cut and the articulated sleeves in particular means that ease of movement – reaching up or out in particular – feels fine.

Montane Extreme Jacket | Review - Outdoors Magic

But usually its a one stop shop for me. I don't like getting cold and so far this winter I haven't. i disagree. buffalo has been fantastic for me and wear it in preference to layers most of the time. I genuinely love winter mountain biking. Here are the items that help me maintain my loving relationship with The Filth. The side venting zips never worked for me, I ended up taking a separate fleece for the walk in as was always over heating. I think they are much better if they have a zip all the way down the front you can open. If you just want a no-nonsense mountain bike at an attractive price point, the Canyon Neuron AL 6 is a very good answer.

You may also like...

My montane extreme is the big dogs knob. Warm, tough, a good fit, the toasiest hood in the world and all for 80 notes. I do still carry a hard shell if the weather looks grim but I rarely use it. If you do sweat out, the pile liner dries super fast anyway, but of course it’s uncomfortable and you’re losing fluid and electrolytes too, never a good call on a hard mountain day. Please help UKClimbing continue to provide varied and free content by becoming a UKC Supporter, or UKC Supporter Plus which The Hydrogen features a fairly long, slim fit which is designed to sit close to your skin to maximise sweat management. Although the outer fabric is super stretchy, we'd only recommend having a lightweight baselayer underneath.

Montane | Cotswold Outdoor Montane | Cotswold Outdoor

In Alaska, I wore a merino wool base layer and there was little room for anything else. Kinds of proves how effective the Extreme range is at keeping you warm. I prefered the Buffalo hood, the montane one is way to big for the velcro on the collar so never really fitted right. Wir geben uns die größte Mühe, die Auswirkungen unseres unternehmerischen Handelns auf die Umwelt zu verringern. Sehr wichtig ist uns Transparenz gegenüber unseren Kunden, damit Siealles über die Herkunft Ihrer Montane-Produkte erfahren. Needs to be full length zip, definitely warm, and will be used for lots of dog walking (I feel the cold) and general out and about. Not for climbing, working outdoors or high energy outdoors. Want warmth as the main thing. I think they aren't as warm when they get older as the pile seems to lose it's umphh- technical term!.These things are warm enough that the problem isn’t keeping warm, it’s getting rid of surplus heat. 🙂 So if you are going to stand around you need to layer up, however with the none accommodating cuffs that's going to be a problem with a long sleeved t shirt and a pullover (all cotton base) Very warm, highly weatherproof, fast drying, relatively unrestrictive, useful venting options, cavernous hood, reasonably priced. Cons Fit is fairly important with pertex/pile. It’s generally not as supple as other insulation stuff (down or primaloft) so won’t conform to your body as easily. I haven’t bought any pertex/pile in years but the montane stuff fit my skinny frame better than the buffalo stuff.

Montane | Mens | Hydrogen | Extreme | Jacket | Shadow - Trekitt Montane | Mens | Hydrogen | Extreme | Jacket | Shadow - Trekitt

I also find that on windy days there is normally a lot of spin drift and constant bombarding with spindrift eventually makes the soft shell fail with me, then I end up damp and unhappy On non windy days if its dry then you really don't need a soft or hard shell and if its snowing then again I'd end up damp in a soft shell. So for me there were rarely conditions when having a soft shell was beneficial. I too normally used to walk in wearing a base layer when using the montane. However I found that sometimes you needed a fleece and others a hard shell, by the time you have this lot in your bag there is not a lot of room for anything else. Fully adjustable and removable pile lined helmet compatible mountain hood with three point adjustment and wired peak Pile-Pertex is arguably the original non-wayerproof, but wear all day, single-layer soft shell system. The exterior Pertex shell is completely windproof and decently water resistant, while a deep pile lining adds effective insulation. My only problem with it is that on the bike the side vents are a hassle if you want to use them while riding (not at any other time).

🍪 Privacy & Transparency

Outer fabric: Just as crucial as the durable insulation is the outer fabric. A tough yet lightweight Pertex Quantum outer fabric provides total windproofing and a high degree of water resistancy, protecting you from the elements when the conditions turn for the worse. Despite its tough credentials, this fabric is lightweight, soft to the touch and super easy to take care of. Polardri rip-stop reinforcements are added to the elbows to increase durability even further if you're particularly hard on your kit. For cold snowy days in the UK it works excellently as a single layer garment or with the addition of a thin baselayer and waterproof shell for rain. The singular layer of pertex breathes well and copes with sweat better than most traditional layering systems would be able to (this is because the sweat is drawn straight through the Dryactiv insulation on to the Pertex where it can evaporate from). Montane Registered office 3 Freeman Court, North Seaton Ind Estate, Ashington, Northumberland, NE63 0YF Designed to allow flexibility, the arms have been articulated with fine microfleece inner arm panels to prevent pile constructing over elbows and biceps, and an adjustable hem too prevents spindrift entry and heat loss. A removable crotch strap also prevents hem lift when you reach up high. This piece is designed to be worn primarilyas an outer layer, no matter what the weather is doing. You can pop a shell over the top in horrendous conditions, but thanks to the pile lining and water resistant outer fabric, you'll most likely never want to.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment