276°
Posted 20 hours ago

SAMSON S-PATCH PLUS - 48-Point Balanced Patchbay

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

You may find yourself wondering, “what are patch cables?” They are just like every other recording studio cable but shorter, usually 1.5 feet to 3 feet. They’re short because they’re only used on the front of the patchbay, and any more length than that would create a mess of dangling cables…

Now that we’ve done all we can to get organized outside of the patchbay, let’s take a look at how you can configure the inside to increase efficiency and sensibility. Normal, Half-Normal, & Thru Modes The dust, the spiders, the cat hair, and other surprises aren’t worth the trouble, especially when there’s an affordable and genius solution on the market. The feature that makes me call this “old school” is the dry erase strips supplied for labeling. Don’t goof up and use an ink pen or sharpee! This is great especially if you have a set of acronyms in your head for your gear and channels. You’re not going to have room to write a lot on there, but “L Main” and “Pre 2” can fit just fine. Half-normalled means that connecting a cable to the top row of the patch bay won’t break the signal link, but inserting a cable into the bottom row will. To connect to gear with ¼” TRS or XLR inputs you’ll need DB25 snakes with the correct connector ends.

Find the Best Patchbay for You at Sweetwater

The first way to wrangle in all of the possibilities is to setup your patchbay in a manner that greatly reduces your options. In the same way, it brings you into alignment with other professionals and also keeps you organized. I do want to mention that there are tons of types out there, basically one for each type of cable you can imagine. You can also have custom patchbays created for exorbitant amounts of money. But for most of us we just need a reliable, high quality 48 point TRS bay. Using the guide above, you may be able to vastly simplify and understand the complexities of a patchbay much better. If you’re here reading this, it may be the case that you already have access to a bay.

Patchbays allow you to change routings on the fly by simply re-patching the cables on the front panel. Should I use a patchbay?

Sweetwater Is Your One-stop Shop for Studio Patchbays

These bays are typically used to move single XLR connections to a more convenient location for direct patching. For whoever might be interested I'll summarise the options as I see them now. This is assuming one uses an interface with DB25 ins. Many studios function perfectly well without a patchbay, and the extra cost associated with them can be off-putting for some producers. In the end, it may take some experimentation or looking at another tutorial to fully manipulate these monsters, but once you know how to use a patchbay the right way, things will never be the same.

None—Pro studio patchbays are often configured for maximum flexibility. This means that big studios with complex systems often wire their own patchbays with soldered connections. Never Connect Top-to-Top or Bottom-to-Bottom: Always think of the signal as going from the top row to the bottom row on the front of the patchbay.They basically don't exist in a space and/or cost - efficient format. The bulkhead type design above is the best one IMO but you only get four connections in 4HP, other designs end up with shedloads of permanent cable mess at the front which I'd guess is exactly what you're trying to avoid. That may sound confusing but most patchbays can be configured in either style, so you don’t worry if you’re not ready to decide upfront. How to use a patchbay No module, just use the 8x patch cable to DB25 snake and plug directly into sound sources (cons: messier cables and likely having open cable headers flying around unless I "park" the audio interface ins in something like a passive mult on the side of the case) The ART P16 is a handy studio utility for relocating XLR inputs. If your gear features rear mounted XLR inputs and rerouting is a pain, consider the P16 to move your XLR access closer to hand. ART TPatch In the same column, in thru mode, I listen output from up connector on down connector, like normal or half but very very low, but I am on thru mode.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment